BUYER BEWARE: North Texas Truck Stop

blackedout06

Established Member
Hi All! I just wanted to share my not so great experience with North Texas Truck Stop out of Mansfield TX with you guys in case any of you were considering doing business with them.

So for a long time I had my eye on a 2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn that they had in their inventory for a while, so after some back and forth normal car haggling we agreed on a price for the vehicle. Now I have never purchased a vehicle out of state or sight unseen at that, so this was all new to me. I asked Dave Michener (my salesman) a million questions about the truck varying from the condition of the undercarriage to the previously performed maintenances so on and so forth. I felt like I covered everything so there would be no surprised when the truck arrived back here in Massachusetts where I live.

During my questioning of the truck Dave stated that the truck had two new front tires and that the rears had 80% tread left on them.... one would thing that two new tires means TWO new tires right? WRONG! The truck showed up with one new tire on the passenger side and the drivers side had what I would consider less then 50% at best!

The day the truck arrived
25260281839_1f8e5f2e6e_z.jpg

New Passenger Side Tire
25535174311_5db36fc2f0_z.jpg

Drivers Side Tire
24997329124_fcfbf6660b_z.jpg

25332218510_8c8770e653_z.jpg

Secondly while talking to Dave I asked if the frame and undercarriage were in good shape if there was any rust or what not since I live in MA and everything is rusty up here, hence why I was buying a truck from down South. Anyways Dave stated that the truck has been in Texas its whole life and "the undercarriage is clean and rust free". Well when the truck arrived and I was looking over it I noticed that the whole underside of the truck was CAKED in mud!
24997329104_017bbf2e40_z.jpg

25601691466_61035450e1_z.jpg

So today I contacted Dave to ask him about the issue with the tires and to address the condition of the underside of the truck and he could not have been any more RUDE and CONDESCENDING to me! Dave first started off by saying what do I have to do to get you to stop and to make this $100 tire problem go away... that was how he started the conversation on the phone since I had already Emailed him about the problem. I informed him that I was under the impression that new front tires ment that both were new and he claimed that the condition of the driverside tire was acceptable and he couldn't believe I was bitching about it. I said new means new not a spanked used tire with under 50% tread. After fighting back and forth he finally agreed to send me a check for the amount to replace that tire (over $300). He also stated that he couldn't believe I was mad about the mud under the truck and that it was nothing a $3 car wash couldn't take care of. I said when I purchased this expensive truck with a "clean and rust free undercarriage) that I expected it to actually be CLEAN!

In the end I just wanted to share my trouble with North Texas Truck Stop and Dave Michener. My first experience was not a fun one and just want everyone on here to have a heads up with what they might encounter if they are looking to purchase a vehicle from them.

And the truck after being cleaned the proper way
25627848075_0aac950870_z.jpg

This is a picture straight off their website of the truck and what I was expecting to see when it was delivered.
25537878551_d219b6d9dd_z.jpg

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
A few things, did you go look at the truck? I'm sure there was also a "used as is," attached to something somewhere. Last, you actually trusted a out of state used car/truck dealer?

oldmodman

Established Member
Never fails to amaze me when people and especially dealers sell a dirty vehicle.

Even when I go to look at a piece of shit the least the seller could do is remove the two years of empty McDonalds packages from the back seat and give it a vacuum.

A dealer selling a used vehicle that isn't spotless is just stupid.

I would be pissed too.

blackedout06

Established Member
A few things, did you go look at the truck? I'm sure there was also a "used as is," attached to something somewhere. Last, you actually trusted a out of state used car/truck dealer?
No I did not personally go and inspect the truck. I live in Massachusetts so based on the pictures they posted, a clean carfax/autocheck showing no accidents, a lot of maintenance being done regularly and the salesmen's answers to my questions I figured I was safe. Also they seemed to have pretty good reviews online as well.
This is one of the 43 pictures of the truck they posted on their site...looked pretty immaculate to me.

blackedout06

Established Member
Never fails to amaze me when people and especially dealers sell a dirty vehicle.

Even when I go to look at a piece of shit the least the seller could do is remove the two years of empty McDonalds packages from the back seat and give it a vacuum.

A dealer selling a used vehicle that isn't spotless is just stupid.

I would be pissed too.
Exactly! I spent a good amount of money on the truck I expected it to arrive pretty damn clean, not caked in mud!

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Wow that sucks.. It's amazing everytime I'm browsing for cars/trucks on eBay theres so many used dealerships in Texas stating they have airport service, etc. I always wondered how they all work out, but it seems this one is a little shady. At least they are paying for the tire, it could always be worse I guess. Beautiful truck by the way, good luck with it!

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
sorry to hear you had issues with your purchase. I can tell you the photos are always nicer than the vehicle actually is in person. look at all the instagram photos that make cars look flawless until you see them in person and they are pieces of junk. sounds like your issue is the truck was dirty and the tires where not brand new. I did not see any rust on the undercarriage in your photos so I don't see any problems there other than it needs to be cleaned up. If it was me I would get a quote for two front tires and a full detail and see if the dealership will refund some of the money back on it or at least pay for the shipping charges to you since they were not completely honest on the condition of the truck. Seems like just minor issues to me.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
I'm surprised they paid for the tire. Not that they aren't entitled to, just figured from whathe said, it didn't sound like you were going to get anything. What they advertised and what you received were two totally different things, I understand the frustration. I've bought a few used cars back in the day, but never sight unseen. I've drove some long distances to get cars, only because i'm afraid of experiencing something like you did here.

blackedout06

Established Member
Wow that sucks.. It's amazing everytime I'm browsing for cars/trucks on eBay theres so many used dealerships in Texas stating they have airport service, etc. I always wondered how they all work out, but it seems this one is a little shady. At least they are paying for the tire, it could always be worse I guess. Beautiful truck by the way, good luck with it!
Yeah Ebay is where I initially saw the truck. The whole process was actually very smooth, he answered all my questions quickly and fully....clearly not always truthfully though lol and was very helpful with me making my own arrangements for shipping other then what they offered. If the truck showed up and was not caked in mud and actually had new tires like he described I would have been perfectly happy. But when I spend $$$ on a truck and it shows up dirty and not exactly as described and to act like Im being ridiculous to ask for them to pay for a new tire blows my mind!

At one point he even asked me if I knew how many 32nds of tread the tires came with new I just guessed and said 18/32 and he laughed saying not even close buddy to which I replied sorry it was a guess I don't know every tire ever produced's factory tread depth off the top of my head. He acted like I was a complete moron the entire time and was saying I shouldn't even ask for a new tire since they took 600 off the asking price when we negotiated...

besides the issues, that is a gorgeous truck
oh don't get me wrong I love the truck! I just wish it showed up as described and clean when I spent what I spent on it as well as not be treated like a moron when I called him out on it. He could have manned up and just said sorry we will replace the tire and that would have been the end of it.

blackedout06

Established Member
I'm surprised they paid for the tire. Not that they aren't entitled to, just figured from whathe said, it didn't sound like you were going to get anything. What they advertised and what you received were two totally different things, I understand the frustration. I've bought a few used cars back in the day, but never sight unseen. I've drove some long distances to get cars, only because i'm afraid of experiencing something like you did here.
oh I didn't think I was going to get far either but I wasn't going down without a fight and when the majority of their business is done online to out of state buyers, negative feedback online is not what the dealership wants over a $300 tire im sure.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
No I did not personally go and inspect the truck. I live in Massachusetts so based on the pictures they posted, a clean carfax/autocheck showing no accidents, a lot of maintenance being done regularly and the salesmen's answers to my questions I figured I was safe. Also they seemed to have pretty good reviews online as well.
This is one of the 43 pictures of the truck they posted on their site...looked pretty immaculate to me.
I'm actually on your side. It's just the been there done it deal. Kind of like gifting money for a part. Good looking truck though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice to hear that you at least got the second new front tire. At the least that is what you SHOULD have gotten. The caked mud is unfortunate, but that wasn't hard to resolve on your end. Be very happy that it didn't show up with some real issues like an engine issue, transmission issue, dings, etc. Looks like overall you did well with this truck. Very clean looking!

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't think I'd be too upset about the undercarriage, and personally I don't think he intentionally lied to you about that. You were asking about rust on the undercarriage, so in his mind he was probably specifically talking about that and probably didn't even think of mud or dirt. Chances are when you asked, he walked over and glanced at a framerail - didn't see rust - and answered your question accordingly.

The tire I would be pissed about. I'd venture a guess if you went to that place as a customer they'd demand you replace all 4 tires rather than just one or two. Also, between the fact that there was one tire that was bad enough to need replacing, but 3 others that were "acceptable", along with the mud all over the undercarriage, I think it gives you a pretty good indication as to how that truck was treated by its previous owner...

SVT_4_me

Established Member
I don't think I'd be too upset about the undercarriage, and personally I don't think he intentionally lied to you about that. You were asking about rust on the undercarriage, so in his mind he was probably specifically talking about that and probably didn't even think of mud or dirt. Chances are when you asked, he walked over and glanced at a framerail - didn't see rust - and answered your question accordingly.

The tire I would be pissed about. I'd venture a guess if you went to that place as a customer they'd demand you replace all 4 tires rather than just one or two. Also, between the fact that there was one tire that was bad enough to need replacing, but 3 others that were "acceptable", along with the mud all over the undercarriage, I think it gives you a pretty good indication as to how that truck was treated by its previous owner...

you can't see the rust if it is covered up with mud!!! i would have been pissed too.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you asked me if it had a clean and rust free undercarriage, I would've said yes.

Now, as far as the mud. Who the hell knows how it got there. The shipping company may have had to offload it and load it several times before it got all the way to Massachusetts.

The tire I completely understand. But as far as the mud goes? It's really not that big of a deal.

EDIT: In no way, shape or form, does your experience warrant a "Buyers Beware" thread. Now, obviously he shouldn't have been condescending towards you after the sale, but in his mind he was just like "great, another out of state headache. I'll be tied up on the phone for weeks."

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I can understand why you would be upset but in reality you made out ok and the dealership did the right thing and paid for the tire. The mud could have been for any numbers of things and is really no big deal. Good Luck with the truck.

On a side note I just bought a 2014 Mustang sight unseen on Sunday 3 states away. But I drove down in a rental car to pick it up fully prepared to drive the rental back if it was a S-box. Luckily it was nicer then expected. One of the few times ever that the car was as nice as the pictures.

Zemedici

Established Member
How does the truck run? Does he transmission slip? Does the air conditioning work? Is the windshield cracked? Windows roll up and down?

If so, then shrug the rest off. Some mud? Come on man, it's a lifted 4WD, it'd see more mud than that on a weekly basis where I'm from, and those tires are far from bald, just be shopping for a new set, and put it out of your mind. Idk, I'd look big picture. You're buying a used vehicle from out of state, issues are gonna pop up.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Sounds like a shady salesman, but the problem was fixed in the end. Sorry to hear OP. I offer video walk around on vehicles when people message me or call for pics and its a serious buyer. Doing a lil extra wouldnt hurt ya know? Probably figured once it got to you that you wouldnt send it back to them for the minor stuff. Seemed he was right. Nice truck though Op glad it got sorted out.

blackedout06

Established Member
If you asked me if it had a clean and rust free undercarriage, I would've said yes.

Now, as far as the mud. Who the hell knows how it got there. The shipping company may have had to offload it and load it several times before it got all the way to Massachusetts.

The tire I completely understand. But as far as the mud goes? It's really not that big of a deal.

EDIT: In no way, shape or form, does your experience warrant a "Buyers Beware" thread. Now, obviously he shouldn't have been condescending towards you after the sale, but in his mind he was just like "great, another out of state headache. I'll be tied up on the phone for weeks."
its a buyer beware thread not a don't ever buy from here thread... I am just warning potential customers that what is described to them and promised might not be what they actually get when the vehicle arrives.
How does the truck run? Does he transmission slip? Does the air conditioning work? Is the windshield cracked? Windows roll up and down?

If so, then shrug the rest off. Some mud? Come on man, it's a lifted 4WD, it'd see more mud than that on a weekly basis where I'm from, and those tires are far from bald, just be shopping for a new set, and put it out of your mind. Idk, I'd look big picture. You're buying a used vehicle from out of state, issues are gonna pop up.
I understand issues will pop up and I yeah some things are expected but regardless if they are "far from bald" they aren't "NEW" like I was told they were. As a salesmen when you use that as a negotiation leverage and its not true...pretty shady in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread