Buying a house in Washington

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
So as I have mentioned before, my wife is getting stationed in bremerton, WA this october. We are considering buying a house in the Port orchard and Silverdale area. Does anyone have any tips on affordable houses in decent neighborhoods? Anywhere to avoid? Places to go?

Also, I am still looking for an engineering job. If anyone can help me out and point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

B0B

Established Member
Silverdale and Port Orchard are both very nice areas. Generally, living expenses out on the peninsula are cheaper than on the ease side of the sound. Check out the Bremerton Shipyards. Lots of engineering work. My friend is a Civil Engineer there.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I was stationed there for 2 1/2 years aside from being from Seattle. The whole area is nice but just stay out of downtown Bremerton (if you can even call it that). Anywhere in Silverdale, Poulsbo, and the the outskirts of Bremerton are quiet areas with plenty of water nearby. Kingston is great too but she would be looking at a 20+min commute. On the flip-side you'd be right there for a ferry ride to Seattle. The whole peninsula out there feels very secluded and quiet for the most part.

I don't know engineering but I would think Gig Harbor (very nice area, 30+min from base) would have some opportunities, and then definitely Tacoma but you're looking at 40min from base and paying for a yearly Quick Pass to cross the Narrows Bridge every day.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I was stationed in Bremerton as well and downtown was kind of sketchy. But since it was close I hung out there at some bars. But yeah, Silverdale is nice. We actually had guys who lived in Seattle and would ride the ferry every day to Bremerton. There are some nice neighborhoods in Bremerton, though. At least when I lived there.

Users who are viewing this thread