Buying a new motorcycle

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
I am in the process of buying a Honda Blackbird 1100XX, I was wondering if anyone on the board has one and what they thought of it. Thanks for any info :beer:

-Zach

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
I've ridden one and it was overall a very fast, comfortable bike. Great highway bike. Not as good handling as a sportbike, but still nimble.

xxstatic

Ride Red
Established Member
I have a 2000 TI CBR1100XX:

web-1.jpg

I am the 2nd owner when I picked it up it was bone stock with very few miles on it, I now have 65K on it.
The bike is fantastic and is rock solid.:rockon: I hope to one day put over 200K on it.:coolman:

If you need any specific info on it let me know, I have a few mods on mine and I am still adding some here and there when I have the $$$.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Sweet bike :) Which year do you suggest getting, I have bidding on mostly '02s and '03s. My goal is to have a solid highway rider that is nimble enough to take some twisty's.

xxstatic

Ride Red
Established Member
Sweet bike :) Which year do you suggest getting, I have bidding on mostly '02s and '03s. My goal is to have a solid highway rider that is nimble enough to take some twisty's.

That is a great description of what this bike does:beer:

As far as year some will tell you to go with any that are FI (99-03) models, I would tell you to go with the one thats in the best shape and lowest miles. I have a few friends that have carbed Birds (97-98) and have had no issue with them whatsoever, the diferences are very small and few between the models.
If I were looking right now I would go with the cleanest exxample I could find.
There are some really good people over at cbr1100xx.org it is much like this site but full of info for the XX.:thumbsup:

xxstatic

Ride Red
Established Member
Sweet thanks for the site info. I am pretty stoked, took a while to convince the wifey to let me have another new toy :D

Get her out for a ride on it, just take it real easy at first with her. My wife was the same way she hated bikes but I was able to soften her up with some easy riding early on in our relationship now she would throw a fit if I tried to sell it.;-)

HOSTIL

Established Member
It's a nice smooth bike, It was fast back in the late 90's early 00's, can't hold it's own against a few 600's or the 750's and 1000's newer bikes.

xxstatic

Ride Red
Established Member
can't hold it's own against a few 600's or the 750's and 1000's newer bikes.

Not true it can hold it's own against the 600 and 750's in the straights maybe not some real twisty roads, the new 1K's are quicker in the 1/4 as the bikes that were built to beat it i.e. busa and zx-14 but if you google some 1/4 mile times you would be plenty surprised as to how well it has held it's own for the last ten years.;-)

HOSTIL

Established Member
coming from an X busa owner, I'll give you some street credit on some of what you say, I still think an 08 GSXR 750 would be a handful for an old blackbird.

08 GSXR 750 140HP 10:51 in the quarter
00 XX BB 1100 139HP 10:46 in the quarter
makes for a hellva race.

XX still a nice bike for a much lower price, thats all.

Not true it can hold it's own against the 600 and 750's in the straights maybe not some real twisty roads, the new 1K's are quicker in the 1/4 as the bikes that were built to beat it i.e. busa and zx-14 but if you google some 1/4 mile times you would be plenty surprised as to how well it has held it's own for the last ten years.;-)

BLUBLLS

coming from an X busa owner, I'll give you some street credit on some of what you say, I still think an 08 GSXR 750 would be a handful for an old blackbird.

makes for a hellva race.

And the blackbird will pull much better once it gets going just because of aero's. It's also a MUCh more comfortable bike if you plan on riding for a couple hours at a time...

sohowcome

Captain Obvious

makes for a hellva race.

Good post, that is what makes this bike attractive to me, superior performance for around $6500 :beer:

xxstatic

Ride Red
Established Member

Whats the deal with Suzuki? Aren't they the only one still making a 750 sport bike?
I would have thought that they would go they way of the other makers and only sell a 600 and 1K seeing as how the 1k's are as light if not lighter and more powerful than the 750's? Must be some kind of money for them there.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread