Buying a used car.... what are your expectations?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I quit buying other peoples problems after I bough my 04 mystichrome. it was the last time I bought used. No regrets on buying that one because it was pretty much cherry. Since then ... new or nothing. eventually if I live long enough I will probably buy another used car but for now nope. you can get really good deals on new stuff.
I'm exactly the opposite. I never buy new any more. Used to buy new all the time, but depreciation cured me of that.

I bought a 2005 Navigator in 2007. Dealer certified vehicle. It stickered new for 45K. I bought it 2 years old with 16K miles on it for 27K.

Never buying new again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Best advice I can give is don't limit your buying area to your home city. All of my used cars, and I have bought many, including my GT500, have all been out-of-state purchases. What I try to to do is look for the best car then go get it, or have it shipped.

kaz109

Established Member
Well, using your definition of used (2017+ with 30K or less), there are going to be scratches and maybe a ding or two. Especially on something that has potentially seen off-road use. As far as a vehicle missing stuff, if the selling price is adjusted accordingly or it's already lower/lowest in the market, it's probably already been accounted for. It's not like dealerships are making huge money on vehicles like they were in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The possibility is still there, but it takes really aligned solar systems after reconditioning and the such.

But good luck!

Price dictates all. I could care less if it’s got any of the items you mentioned as long as the price has been adjusted accordingly. If it is gonna cost you $200 for a second key and $250 for a full set of WeatherTechs but the vehicle is $1k cheaper than a similar model would you care?

One of you said priced accordingly and the other said 1K off.... people always say this but the fact of the matter is I have never and I mean NEVER scene identical condition cars that were priced differently according to the items that I'm listed.

Normally that 1K price difference is because of mileage or color. It has nothing to do with selling a vehicle complete with all the items listed.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I agree with the common theme here, it all depends on the car and the expectation of what it should have based on age, cost, type of car, etc.

Although, if I'm buying from a dealership, if the tank isn't full it's a huge turn off for me.

I bought a really nice 03 F250 years back from a used car dealer, truck was damn nice. Talked with the sales guy, told him I would buy it and asked him to fill it which wasn't a problem for him. I called the next day saying I had the money, he said "I'm talking it over to the gas station right now and I'll wash it for you."

In my excitement I didn't look at the fuel gauge until I was half way home and noticed it was at 1/4. Drove back, talked to the sales guy about it and he said "Go talk to Scott, he is the owner." When I did, the owner laughed at me and told me "we don't fill tanks here."

Call me vindictive, but I have talked maybe 15 people out of buying from him in the last 10 years.

MFE

Established Member
I only exclusively buy used cars and only about 10% of them have ever had the owners' manual accounted for. So I'd lower that expectation.

I would also keep an eye out for contract language that indicates a tracking/disabling device has been installed, which is oftentimes why they only give you one key. They want the other one if they need it for repo. Reject that tracker and make sure it's uninstalled.

M91196

Established Member
Buying a used Gladiator-take it for a good ride and concentrate on the steering and the lack of feel/dead spot that may be present.

Friend of mine just got one 0 miles and driving it reminds me of my 72 Blazer. The steering box is weak and the front end needs camber or something, it doesn’t want to return to center at all.

If it was an old Saginaw I’d adjust the thing.....

Google shows this is a common issue, especially on the bigger tired trucks and first time Jeep owners....

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
In my excitement I didn't look at the fuel gauge until I was half way home and noticed it was at 1/4. Drove back, talked to the sales guy about it and he said "Go talk to Scott, he is the owner." When I did, the owner laughed at me and told me "we don't fill tanks here."

Call me vindictive, but I have talked maybe 15 people out of buying from him in the last 10 years.

Yeah man, I totally get it. If they woulda just said in the beginning "we don't fill tanks here", it woulda been no big deal. But I have found the general honesty levels of used car sales folks to be suspect, so I will put a small (very small) piece of the blame on you for not following up on this BEFORE you drove the truck away, LOL. :p

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I only exclusively buy used cars and only about 10% of them have ever had the owners' manual accounted for. So I'd lower that expectation.

I would also keep an eye out for contract language that indicates a tracking/disabling device has been installed, which is oftentimes why they only give you one key. They want the other one if they need it for repo. Reject that tracker and make sure it's uninstalled.

That's interesting. I guess here in Florida no one bothers to look at it and that's why I've always had the owners manual in all my used vehicles. Out of the nine used cars, all have had them lol.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yeah man, I totally get it. If they woulda just said in the beginning "we don't fill tanks here", it woulda been no big deal. But I have found the general honesty levels of used car sales folks to be suspect, so I will put a small (very small) piece of the blame on you for not following up on this BEFORE you drove the truck away, LOL. :p
Yeah I know.

Even if he would have said "I'm sorry about that, our sales guy shouldn't have told you we would fill the tank. We don't for any vehicle." It wouldn't have left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Either way, I've done fine not buying from him since lol.

Users who are viewing this thread