C&D GT500 vs. Z51 C6

BetterthanU

Banned
Welp, hope the pro-GT500 and repost Nazis don't come after me, but just a few comments on the latest issue of Car And Driver....with a GT500 vs. Z51 C6 comparison. (now remember that C&D is usually very consistant and spot-on with their performance #s they get out of cars)

-C6 was marginally faster

-I don't like the revised hood vents, or the "SHELBY" being placed on the upper left decklid, AMG style.

A couple other things I sadly noticed about the GT500:
Weight Distribution: 57/43 ....holy fin' crap that's horrible. Testers mentioned bad nose dive upon hard braking....I know how 03/04 cobras can dive with 54/46 distribution, so I can only imagine.

Weight: ~3900

0-60: 4.6..... :sleeping: (C&D remarked that the car was very easy to launch, dropping the clutch at 3200 rpm....apaprently no big traction issues.....front tires 255/18 back 285/18)

70-0 Braking I believe was around 170 ft (vette was in the low 160s)....testers said the Brembo 14 inch brakes performed excellently :rockon: .....#s are about as good as you can expect for the weight of the car

1/4 Mile: 12.9 @113 I was disappointed and shocked :eek:
The writers/testers even remarked that "the old cobra model achieved the exact same #'s, for $35k"

Skidpad: .9g.....slight improvement, but about as good as you can expect with that weight and distribution, and no IRS.

So all together, comparing to previous Cobra model's performance aspects; the engine is bigger and more powerful, the car's performance #s are exactly the same, maybe slightly better, weight is even worse, as is the distribution of it, brakes are bigger, rear tires are just slightly bigger and fronts are smaller, no IRS.....and it's 10k+ more expensive.

(Side Note)....the BMW M6's performance #'s in this issue absolutely amazed me! 0-60 3.8, 1/4 mile high 11s @ 121!!!! Price: $106k, .87g skidpad (eh...ok)

Last edited:

REPCobra10

Established Member
Ya, I'm kind of disappointed with the GT500 as well. Sure it is fast, but 3900+ pounds for a "sports car" is absolutely rediculous. I've heard of these cars putting 440 rwhp down on a dyno straight from Ford which just shows how bad Ford messed up with the weight of the car. 12.9 @ 113 is assinine for 440 rwhp, as an '03/'04 with 440 rwhp will trap ~118, as did mine and many others on here as well. However, I am liking the BMW M6 figures at the bottom of your post there man! Are you serious, it really does 0-60 in 3.8 and on to a high 11-second pass @ 121? If so, that is simply amazing! Anyways, take it easy man.

BetterthanU

Banned
Yup! M6 was the highlight of the issue, for me :rockon:
--I knew already about how much the weight was going to be.....what really pissed me off was the distribution...IMO a sports car coupe should never be much more off than 53/47 or 54/46......

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
What a heavy pig, I would still love to have one though. I bet there will be guys that are able to do better than 12.9 once they start taking them to the track.

Jpjr

Established Member
every time i see the numbers on this car, i think that it's a very nicely done car but simply not priced correctly. 500hp or not the thing is priced higher than a Vette that from an engineering perspective is superior in every way except for the motor.

BetterthanU

Banned
it's priced slightly less than a base vette....although you're correct.....for me the biggest thing ford got wrong was the weight issue....if it had come in somewhere near the 03/04s I would not have a single complaint.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
BetterthanU said:
(now remember that C&D is usually very consistant and spot-on with their performance #s they get out of cars)

Evidently you don't frequent a decent drag strip very often. None of the big 3 can drive for shit.

Fourcam330

Established Member
BetterthanU said:
Skidpad: .9g.....slight improvement, but about as good as you can expect with that weight and distribution, and no IRS.

LMAO, swap tires and see what you get genius. You don't know much about 3 link rears do you? Congratulations, you truly define the term "Magazine Racer". :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TRXboy

Established Member
I find it odd that non of the magazines mentioned anything about the crappy TBW system, and how it sap's power. CnD can suck a Chode, If it is not a Honda or a BMW they hate it. Hell, When the tested the FGT vrs the Gallardo The Gallardo blew a F'n tranny and it still beat it. They make it known that they are biase, and people are starting to notice (just read the letter's).

Fourcam330

Established Member
TRXboy said:
I find it odd that non of the magazines mentioned anything about the crappy TBW system, and how it sap's power. CnD can suck a Chode, If it is not a Honda or a BMW they hate it. Hell, When the tested the FGT vrs the Gallardo The Gallardo blew a F'n tranny and it still beat it. They make it known that they are biase, and people are starting to notice (just read the letter's).

They probably don't realize it's there, likely making them think the car just feels slow despite 500hp. Sad.

BetterthanU

Banned
Fourcam330 said:
LMAO, swap tires and see what you get genius. You don't know much about 3 link rears do you? Congratulations, you truly define the term "Magazine Racer". :thumbsup:

hey, asshat...that wasn't an inflamitory post, just stating the results and differences from previous modles....and guess what? They're testing these cars as they come from the factory....ricer...."do this and that and let evan smith drive it, then test it"

Last edited:

BetterthanU

Banned
Fourcam330 said:
Evidently you don't frequent a decent drag strip very often. None of the big 3 can drive for shit.

I frequent them enough to get a 12.7 @ 112 out of my stock '03. Guess I touched a nerve by reporting what the most consistant of the big 3 got from the shelby, huh? Re-thinking that deposit? Seems like their numbers for the 03 cobra were pretty close to the correct 12.7-12.9 @ 111-112 good drivers get...."The '03's 12.9-second quarter-mile at 111mph"

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
BetterthanU said:
hey, asshat...that wasn't an inflamitory post, jsut satting the results and difference....and guess what? They're testing these cars as they come from the factory....ricer...."do this and that and then test it"

Pull your head out of the rag and stick it back up your ass. Thanks for the wasted bandwith--who the **** cares about an ignoramous's breakdown of a magazine review? Talk about useless.

Users who are viewing this thread