C6Z06 (568whp) vs 2013 Shelby GT500 (730whp)

Kazsak

Established Member
I am sure the guy that paid $35 M for his car has no problem smoking any GT500, Z06, Viper if that was his desire with another car. He or she just have different priorities. Just like nobody is bragging their Timex keeps better time than a Rolex.

Some people like road racing, some drag racing. Don't worry what other people have, work with what you have.

Really?? So your associating price with power? So that means the 60K GT500 that you're speaking of beats the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO that sold for 35 MILLION would be impressive? Well...atleast you can impress the girls by telling them you beat a 35 million dollar Ferrari. :lol:

Price has NOTHING to do with anything. Just because a car that is expensive doesn't mean it will be the fastest thing in the world.

TTlambo

Established Member
So you're calling me out and than setting the rules? I don't think that is how it works. Now if you want a dig race against the Z than you have to play in the real world. I don't like playing in Fantasy Land at the track. I like real conditions with real tires. It seperates the boys from the men. Rules are simple if you want a race, both cars on street tires, not silly DR's those are for girls. The road will be unprepped. We will slap vboxs in both cars to mark off the 1/4. That is a 100% fair race for both cars in real conditions.

:lol:

I have owned a Z06 and a ZR1, I know they have an advantage on the street do to how light they are but I'm down anyway! (not a girl on radials as you say)

I would also like a track race too to see the out come! So I agree to your race if you also agree to mine! :rockon:

Kazsak

Established Member
TTlambo, I introduced you guys. Anyways, a friend with head and cam z06 with 580 whp should be hitting the track this Friday on 18" Drag radials. You can run him, but be warn, he is quick, 11.0@131 in the summer.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
A $200k Aston Martin DBS won't be blowing past anyone, not even a 2011+ Mustang 5.0, but I much rather pull up to club/bar/restaurant in an Aston than a Mustang GT or GT500. Price has nothing to do with it, it's EXCLUSIVITY!

Every Tom, Dick and Harry has a Mustang or Vette. And a $60k Mustang GT500s interior can't come near that of an Aston's.

You could have a '13 GT500 with 8 turbos on it and no one will take a second look at it without marching over to the BUGATTI sitting right next to it first and drooling.

You're misunderstanding my point. I agree completly with the concept of exclusivity (and my own business revolves around selling and servicing vehicles that fall into this category). I'm not comparing classic Ferraris, $200K Aston Martins, and so on with GT500s. They cannot be compared in most respects. I'm simply comparing the performance abilities of current model-run performance cars (like the 2013 GT500, Z06, Porsches, etc...) and their sheer numbers. All of these cars are manufactured for maximum performance (and then some). Even looking at a current edition $150K Porsche 911 Turbo, I am just pointing out that it is truly incredible what the GT500 is able to do for the little money it takes to get one.

And while the interior fit and finish of my own 997 Turbo completely destroys that of my GT500, I will contest that the Recaro seats in the Shelby are just as good as the sport seats in the Porsche, the GT500 rides better on the highway (and achieves better fuel economy at speed), and feels easily as quick at any speed 40 and up. Which car did I chose to drive on my 700 mile round-trip to Vegas last week? The Shelby. For superior handling, steering feel, driving in the rain, and racing from a dig though, I'll still take the Turbo.

j81234

Established Member
:lol:

I have owned a Z06 and a ZR1, I know they have an advantage on the street do to how light they are but I'm down anyway! (not a girl on radials as you say)

I would also like a track race too to see the out come! So I agree to your race if you also agree to mine! :rockon:

I was just pulling your chain man...lol I don't care if you have DR's on the back or slicks. I do however have zero interest in running at the track. If you want a dig run we can do one on the street with whatever tire you want. I know a good place to make this happen.

TTlambo, I introduced you guys. Anyways, a friend with head and cam z06 with 580 whp should be hitting the track this Friday on 18" Drag radials. You can run him, but be warn, he is quick, 11.0@131 in the summer.

That would be an interesting race. Both cars should be equally matched with thier setups.

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
Me and another SVT member are going to do a roll on this weekend, weather permitting, however he's not too interested in running 1/4 mile track (for good reasons).
If you guys know of any stock 2013 GT500's that live in/around the Phoenix metro area, I'd be game for a heads-up drag race at the track...both running drag radials, 2006 C6 Z06 vs 2013 GT500.

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I was just pulling your chain man...lol I don't care if you have DR's on the back or slicks. I do however have zero interest in running at the track.
If I were you I wouldn't want to be lighting up the boards with a mid-11 second pass in a 568 rwhp C6Z either.
:poke:
S.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
You're misunderstanding my point. I agree completly with the concept of exclusivity (and my own business revolves around selling and servicing vehicles that fall into this category). I'm not comparing classic Ferraris, $200K Aston Martins, and so on with GT500s. They cannot be compared in most respects. I'm simply comparing the performance abilities of current model-run performance cars (like the 2013 GT500, Z06, Porsches, etc...) and their sheer numbers. All of these cars are manufactured for maximum performance (and then some). Even looking at a current edition $150K Porsche 911 Turbo, I am just pointing out that it is truly incredible what the GT500 is able to do for the little money it takes to get one.

And while the interior fit and finish of my own 997 Turbo completely destroys that of my GT500, I will contest that the Recaro seats in the Shelby are just as good as the sport seats in the Porsche, the GT500 rides better on the highway (and achieves better fuel economy at speed), and feels easily as quick at any speed 40 and up. Which car did I chose to drive on my 700 mile round-trip to Vegas last week? The Shelby. For superior handling, steering feel, driving in the rain, and racing from a dig though, I'll still take the Turbo.

With all due respect, you're comparing your '13 Shelby to your 5yr old Porsche. Performance wise, a '13 GT500 doesn't even come near that of a "current" $150k '12 911 Turbo PDK or GT2 PDK.

Last edited:

j81234

Established Member
If I were you I wouldn't want to be lighting up the boards with a mid-11 second pass in a 568 rwhp C6Z either.
:poke:
S.

Why not, that is reality? My car is a mid 11 second car on the street with street tires on it. That is what it averages in the summer. I have about 80 plus 1/4 mile runs on it. I find it much more challenging than racing at the track. Everyone has there own interests.

FuegoCobra1

Established Member
Why not, that is reality? My car is a mid 11 second car on the street with street tires on it. That is what it averages in the summer. I have about 80 plus 1/4 mile runs on it. I find it much more challenging than racing at the track. Everyone has there own interests.

Sounds to me like this c6z06 is slow ass balls. I'll run you whenever you'd like I see you live in Florida maybe in Orlando we can lock it up fast guy.

j81234

Established Member
Sounds to me like this c6z06 is slow ass balls. I'll run you whenever you'd like I see you live in Florida maybe in Orlando we can lock it up fast guy.

True, I am an easy kill. Only mid 11's with 568whp Z, stock ones run 10 seconds. I dont want any of your cobra.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
With all due respect, you're comparing your '13 Shelby to your 5yr old Porsche. Performance wise, a '13 GT500 doesn't even come near that of a "current" $150k '12 911 Turbo PDK or GT2 PDK.

I'm not talking about a $250K GT2, or a computer-shifted PDK. (Throw a highly sophisticated/computerized dual-clutch in a '13 Shelby and it would be a different ball game too). I'm referring to a "standard" new 2012 997 Turbo with the 6-spd manual transmission that has similar performance specs as my 2007 Turbo, (only 27 hp more with same torque rating). So, the fact that my "5-yr-old Porsche" isn't a new '12 is hardly relevant.
911 Turbo - All 911 Models - All Porsche Vehicles - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

From the factory, the '12 is 500 hp with 516 lb ft. (briefly while on over-boost in SportChrono mode), weighs around 3,500 lbs and has a top speed of 194 mph.

The GT500 has 662 hp/631 lb.ft with 3,850 lbs to lug around and is geared for 200 mph at the top of 5th gear. Do the math for the power-to-weight ratios- Porsche Turbo= 7lbs per hp. Shelby= 5.8.

Listen, I love Porsches. They are still my favorite cars on the planet and I have owned five of them. I'm simply stating the facts after driving both of my cars back to back and running with a buddy in his tuned 997 Turbo. The GT500 has unreal performance and WILL run with a new stock Turbo ALL day in a 60-160 roll race. From a dig, it's like running a GT-R. The Shelby loses to the Turbo and most likely cannot recover the gap. :burnout:

Last edited:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
I'm not talking about a $250K GT2, or a computer-shifted PDK. (Throw a highly sophisticated/computerized dual-clutch in a '13 Shelby and it would be a different ball game too). I'm referring to a "standard" new 2012 997 Turbo with the 6-spd manual transmission that has similar performance specs as my 2007 Turbo, (only 27 hp more with same torque rating). So, the fact that my "5-yr-old Porsche" isn't a new '12 is hardly relevant.
911 Turbo - All 911 Models - All Porsche Vehicles - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

From the factory, the '12 is 500 hp with 516 lb ft. (briefly while on over-boost in SportChrono mode), weighs around 3,500 lbs and has a top speed of 194 mph.

The GT500 has 662 hp/631 lb.ft with 3,850 lbs to lug around and is geared for 200 mph at the top of 5th gear. Do the math for the power-to-weight ratios- Porsche Turbo= 7lbs per hp. Shelby= 5.8.

Listen, I love Porsches. They are still my favorite cars on the planet and I have owned five of them. I'm simply stating the facts after driving both of my cars back to back and running with a buddy in his tuned 997 Turbo. The GT500 has unreal performance and WILL run with a new stock Turbo ALL day in a 60-160 roll race. From a dig, it's like running a GT-R. The Shelby loses to the Turbo and most likely cannot recover the gap. :burnout:

The '13 GT500 is doing something that a $62k base C6Z has been doing since '2006 :shrug::shrug:

I don't follow your 'Pricing' argument as there is more to pricing than just what's under the hood.

60-160 roll race, maybe a 6spd '12 997, but not the PDK equipped 911 Turbos.

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
Most of the stock or bolt on Z06's around here run 12's...lol

Bright thing to post, but remember ALL 2007 GT500's ran 12.27 like Evan Smith ran right?? and everyone's '13 ran 11.6 stock right out of the showroom at their local track. ?? :eek:

TTlambo

Established Member
I was just pulling your chain man...lol I don't care if you have DR's on the back or slicks. I do however have zero interest in running at the track. If you want a dig run we can do one on the street with whatever tire you want. I know a good place to make this happen.

That would be an interesting race. Both cars should be equally matched with thier setups.

Its all good, the smack talking is what makes it fun! I'm going to be gone for about a week or so so maybe late next week we can set it up. :beer:

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
The '13 GT500 is doing something that a $62k base C6Z has been doing since '2006 :shrug::shrug:

I don't follow your 'Pricing' argument as there is more to pricing than just what's under the hood.

60-160 roll race, maybe a 6spd '12 997, but not the PDK equipped 911 Turbos.

I've driven the PDK box. The biggest advantage it has is getting the car out of the hole quickly with launch control and the 1-2 shift. Shifts on the fly are obviously faster than a manual too, but the PDK car from a 60+ roll-on is not significantly faster than a manual equipped car and has only a two mph faster top speed than the manual does. (Which is why when you watch the vids of Snorman's 2013 GT500 vs his 2013 GT-R, the dual clutch AWD Nissan wins out of the hole and the Shelby pulls the GT-R every time from a roll-on).

As far as the Z06, I agree with you. It DOES have exceptional performance, and has been one of the best bangs for the buck in the car industry for years. But, it does so in a purpose-built, 2-seat, 3,100 lb track car that now costs $85K. Hardly falls in the same category as a 4-seat GT500 weighing 700 lbs more and driving in complete comfort. And that's the amazing part about the Shelby being able to match the Z06's straight-line performance for $25K less.

But, I digress........Sorry OP for jacking the thread.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
I've driven the PDK box. The biggest advantage it has is getting the car out of the hole quickly with launch control and the 1-2 shift. Shifts on the fly are obviously faster than a manual too, but the PDK car from a 60+ roll-on is not significantly faster than a manual equipped car and has only a two mph faster top speed than the manual does. (Which is why when you watch the vids of Snorman's 2013 GT500 vs his 2013 GT-R, the dual clutch AWD Nissan wins out of the hole and the Shelby pulls the GT-R every time from a roll-on).

As far as the Z06, I agree with you. It DOES have exceptional performance, and has been one of the best bangs for the buck in the car industry for years. But, it does so in a purpose-built, 2-seat, 3,100 lb track car that now costs $85K. Hardly falls in the same category as a 4-seat GT500 weighing 700 lbs more and driving in complete comfort. And that's the amazing part about the Shelby being able to match the Z06's straight-line performance for $25K less.

But, I digress........Sorry OP for jacking the thread.

But your argument is contradicting, you can pick up an '06/07 C6Z for $15-20k less than a '13 GT500 and have the same performance of the '13 GT500. The GT500 may weigh 700lbs more, but it produces 157hp more than the Z. Actually what's amazing is that a 6year old Z is making 150hp less and still running with the new Shelby for $15-20k less.. Whether it's an 06 Z or 12Z, you wouldn't know the difference on the outside and drawing assumptions about it being a C6 "Z" and it automatically costs $80k is Ridiculous!

You're comparing a '13 gt500 to a '13 GTR and not a Porsche Turbo PDK. A '13 Shelby won't touch a C6ZR1 or Porsche 911 PDK from a roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCw88BNJAPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTDDzOmckWg

My point is the "price" one paid for a vehicle is :bash::bash: and pointless. Best of luck!

Back to thread topic.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Prices are not worth talking about when it comes to a cars purpose. All the cars being compared have different purposes. The 03-04 cobras were giving vettes a hard way to go and sold in the mid 30s and Z were twice the price. Never understand why people start putting the cars price in it. If you win you hear I beat a car that cost this but then you lose and hear he's supposed to win.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
But your argument is contradicting, you can pick up an '06/07 C6Z for $15-20k less than a '13 GT500 and have the same performance of the '13 GT500. The GT500 may weigh 700lbs more, but it produces 157hp more than the Z. Actually what's amazing is that a 6year old Z is making 150hp less and still running with the new Shelby for $15-20k less.. Whether it's an 06 Z or 12Z, you wouldn't know the difference on the outside and drawing assumptions about it being a C6 "Z" and it automatically costs $80k is Ridiculous!

My point is the "price" one paid for a vehicle is :bash::bash: and pointless. Best of luck!

Back to thread topic.

Although you can't really compare new cars and 5+ yr old used cars (lack of warranty, imperfections, etc...), starting a new thread on what people can buy on the used market isn't a bad idea. I'm amazed at some of the deals out there if you find someone that really needs to unload something. Best of luck to you as well. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread