Cage advice needed

Richter888

Established Member
This isn't a Mustang, but this site gets a lot more traffic and knowledgeable members.

I have a 1984 300zx drift/open track project. We are building the cage to scca standard and ran into a snag. We are confused about one of the rules related to the hoop. Please see item 1 in fabrication. We ran a continuous hoop in the center and front. Did I misunderstand, and if so, would my cage as we have built the front still pass? I am still running braces between hoops soon.

C. FABRICATION
1. One continuous length of tubing must be used for the hoop member with smooth continuous bends and no evidence of crimping or wall failure.

2. All welding must be of the highest possible quality with full penetration
and will be subjected to very critical inspection. Arc welding, particularly
heliarc, should be used wherever possible.

D. BRACING
1. It is recommended that braces be of the same size tubing as used for the roll bar itself.

2. All roll bars must be braced in a manner to prevent movement in a fore-and-aft direction with the brace attached within the top one-third of the roll hoop, and at an angle of at least thirty degrees (30°) from vertical. It is strongly recommended that two such braces be used, parallel to the sides of the car, and placed at the outer extremities of the roll bar hoop. Such braces should extend to the rear whenever possible.

INFO
TUBING: 1 3/4" .095 DOM
WELDING TYPE: MIG
CAGE STYLE: 6 point

Picture below. Did I go above and beyond, or do I need to change it? Sorry for low light.

IMG_20161009_191315_zpsgz293dli.jpg

wheelhopper

Established Member
I think the hoop they are referring to is the one behind the seats. Then you typically have a hoop that runs from the top of the hoop behind the seat, across the top of the door opening, down the a-pillar and to the floor. Then there is a straight bar welded from the top of one door hoop, above the windshield, to the other door hoop. But I think you'll be safe tying the front and back hoop togther with a straight bar across each drip edge,

Richter888

Established Member
Thank you. I saw that in several pictures I found. I wasn't sure what is allowed. This is my first cage, so there it is quite confusing to me. I appreciate any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread