CAI vs Stock

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
I know it is a dead horse subject. Shaun@AED posted that he had a before and after dyno graph. I searched and I can't seem to find it.

I'm torn on the CAI, is it worth $300 or not. I know what the manufacturers say. I want proof.... :pop:

5.0GT

Established Member
I still think there is gain from a CAI. But one thing that most people will agree on is a good tune and a cat-delete will give you the best results, and mostly will cost the same as a CAI

mikestoyz

Established Member
Used yes.

And Im not sure if Shaun did something with the tune when I added the JLT, but gawda... if tire spin is any indication of more power, yeah, it really woke up the engine. I love the power levels now.....and desperately need stickier back tires!

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
If your auto, don't waste your money until FI
If manual and don't mind spending that dime for "possibility" of small gains...then go for it. It looks good, and most think added sound is cool.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Your gonna get 1000 different answers. It's really all down to personal opinion. Good luck

Lone Star

Established Member
I think that op doesn't want to waste his hard earned money on a CAI if it's not going to produce any more hp then the stock CAI! Can't say I blame him for asking this question! I have read somewhere the exact same thing, not sure whether here or another site. But I'll be damned if I'm going to drop close to $400 on something that just looks good under the hood! The tune is what makes the increase in hp/tq and even there is it worth the coin for 20-35 hp?

1Bad5.0

Established Member
If this is any help here goes....I ran [email protected] a C&L CAI, used the tune that comes in the tuner for C&L, so noithing custom on the tuning and went 12.48 @ 111.94...basically $369.00 bucks for a tenth and a half....

whatwhine

Established Member
I don't see the need. Or even a k&n drop in. I haven't seen where the power gains(or loss with k&n lol) are worth it.
Just accept that ford did a good job on the induction side of things.....

Lone Star

Established Member
I don't see the need. Or even a k&n drop in. I haven't seen where the power gains(or loss with k&n lol) are worth it.
Just accept that ford did a good job on the induction side of things.....

The benefit of the K&N Drop in is that it is reusable vs. throwaway paper filters. $60 for K&N that you keep for life or $30 for paper filter that needs replacing every 15,000 miles. Math is simple for me, not expecting any performance gains from it.

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
I think that op doesn't want to waste his hard earned money on a CAI if it's not going to produce any more hp then the stock CAI! Can't say I blame him for asking this question! I have read somewhere the exact same thing, not sure whether here or another site. But I'll be damned if I'm going to drop close to $400 on something that just looks good under the hood! The tune is what makes the increase in hp/tq and even there is it worth the coin for 20-35 hp?

Exactly. To those who are tired of the topic don't open it. I also said at the very beginning that this was a dead horse issue but searches wouldn't turn up any answer.

I really wanted Shaun to step in with his $0.02. I've seen posts from him showing cars running 10's with the factory airbox and I've seen dyno graphs from him with a CAI.

Thank you....

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Exactly. To those who are tired of the topic don't open it. I also said at the very beginning that this was a dead horse issue but searches wouldn't turn up any answer.

I really wanted Shaun to step in with his $0.02. I've seen posts from him showing cars running 10's with the factory airbox and I've seen dyno graphs from him with a CAI.

Thank you....

that should answer your question right there.

kingnut

Established Member

jlt posted dyno's of stock vs their CAI and it picked up 25hp from 3000 to 5000 rpms without a tune. but there are a ton of threads the OP could go read back through to get answers. im sure this one will be another fire fight.

Users who are viewing this thread