camshaft experts-comp limiters

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
To make a long story short, I bought a motor that had the comp stg 1 blower cams with the comp limiters instaled in it. At the time I didn't know enough about the cams or limiters to mess with them. Now that im on the road with the car, it had developed an oil leak. Its definitely related to the oil pan and gasket. So basically the pan will need to be dropped. Im thinking that while I do this, is it worth it to remove the cam limiters or not? Or is it a waste of time? Im always looking to improve my combo. I had in mind of doing that along with porting the stock manifold and an accufab tb. Would I be wasting my time? Also, how hard is it to just remove the limiters? Im looking forward to hearing some opinion on this.

wolfman311

Established Member
To make a long story short, I bought a motor that had the comp stg 1 blower cams with the comp limiters instaled in it. At the time I didn't know enough about the cams or limiters to mess with them. Now that im on the road with the car, it had developed an oil leak. Its definitely related to the oil pan and gasket. So basically the pan will need to be dropped. Im thinking that while I do this, is it worth it to remove the cam limiters or not? Or is it a waste of time? Im always looking to improve my combo. I had in mind of doing that along with porting the stock manifold and an accufab tb. Would I be wasting my time? Also, how hard is it to just remove the limiters? Im looking forward to hearing some opinion on this.

I'm curious as to why you would want to remove those? I don't see you making any gains from doing that and actually they are there to maintain proper clearance.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Because from what I've researched, most good tuners can tune up to comp stg 3s without the limiters. There is probably some power to be gained on the bottom and top ends by getting back the full variable cam timing sweep.

redline5.0

Established Member
Because from what I've researched, most good tuners can tune up to comp stg 3s without the limiters. There is probably some power to be gained on the bottom and top ends by getting back the full variable cam timing sweep.

Your confusing limiters and locks. I used limiters on the exhaust side only even though my tuner said I wouldn't go over the 20* advance.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Side topic, don't pirt your stock mani. Not worth your time and effort. I ported a boss mani though and people have been saying around 11hp and 5tq

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Your confusing limiters and locks. I used limiters on the exhaust side only even though my tuner said I wouldn't go over the 20* advance.

I've spoken to 2 tuners who can tune up to stg 3s with the full 50* sweep.

stangn

Established Member
Put limiters in mine, not because I had to because I felt it was a Saftey factor. These are interference engines.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Put limiters in mine, not because I had to because I felt it was a Saftey factor. These are interference engines.

Yes I'm trying to decipher on this as well. The FRPP CJ cams are just as big as some comps, but they dont require the limiters? Where does one draw the line. Haha l like to push the envelope.

Users who are viewing this thread