Can a cop call you idiot?

PJM99

Established Member
Coming home from work last night, my street had a cop blocking it off. So I figured maybe I'd be able to go around come up the other side of the street. So I went up to the next street and turned down and tried coming up the back side of my street. Well, the other side was blocked as well. So I stopped and asked the cop..

me: I live on this street, can I cut through?

Cop: No, you idiot the road is closed. Go around another and find another way.

me: No, I live on THIS street, I want to go to my house. Is the street being evacuated or something? What happened?

Cop: Listen stupid, the road is closed, there's a tree down (shouting now) WE'RE ONLY LETTING RESIDENTS THROUGH.

me: (shouting) I LIVE AT (my address), YOU NEED TO LET ME BY SO I CAN GO HOME!

Cop: (pissed off now) License?

I then handed him my license he looked at the address handed it back, moved the cones and waved me through. I got his name and badge # can I report him? I don't appreciate being called names. I was tempted to tell him to **** off but I figured it would just get me into trouble.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I would report it...the LEO's here may have a problem with that. A bit unprofessional on the LEO's part

19984V

Established Member
I think technically they can if they want, however the uppers might take action against the certain officer if it is reported. I have noticed one thing about cops, they seem to take each others side, doesnt metter if its true or not. Flame me whatever.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Coming home from work last night, my street had a cop blocking it off. So I figured maybe I'd be able to go around come up the other side of the street. So I went up to the next street and turned down and tried coming up the back side of my street. Well, the other side was blocked as well. So I stopped and asked the cop..

me: No, I live on THIS street, I want to go to my house. Is the street being evacuated or something? What happened?

Cop: Listen stupid, the road is closed, there's a tree down (shouting now) WE'RE ONLY LETTING RESIDENTS THROUGH.

I then handed him my license he looked at the address handed it back, moved the cones and waved me through. I got his name and badge # can I report him? I don't appreciate being called names. I was tempted to tell him to **** off but I figured it would just get me into trouble.

If you are so offended you should report him. If things occurred exactly as you described, then there is no reason for him not to be professional and civil.

I would report it...the LEO's here may have a problem with that. A bit unprofessional on the LEO's part

What problem? If the officer was acting unprofessional while the driver was being civil and polite there is no reason for his behavior.

PJM99

Established Member
I'm guessing if I were to report it, it would just get laughed at. Maybe they'd make him apologize but then I become a target....lol

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I'm guessing if I were to report it, it would just get laughed at. Maybe they'd make him apologize but then I become a target....lol

That might be the case if this occurred in a place where the police force is very local and has very few members. But as an overall rule I would say it would be looked into and address appropriately. I know my former agency takes these things extremely seriously.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I had a cop cuss me out and call me every name in the book once. On the bright side, he just got in his car and drove off after cussing me out. It was pretty cool.

tj04cobra

Established Member
I had a cop cuss me out and call me every name in the book once. On the bright side, he just got in his car and drove off after cussing me out. It was pretty cool.

Something similar to that happened to me about 4 years ago. He pulled me over for speeding waaaayyy over the 65 mph speed limit (I thought i was the only one on the freeway.There was no traffic, no hills, no entrances where I was acting a dumbass and boy was my dumbass WRONG), got out of his car, screamed at the tops of his lungs "NO LICENSE OR INSURANCE PROOF NEEDED TODAY!!!! YOU SON ARE GOING TO JAIL!!!!!". He then pulled me out of my car, slammed me against his car, cuffed me, threw me into his car and cussed me every which way you could possibly imagine. I just yes sirred, no sirred his questions and he cussed me some more. All of the sudden his mood changed and he asked me what I had to do that day. I replied that I had to get all four of my wisdom teeth removed in three hours or so. He grabbed my cell phone, called my mom, told her I was a dumbass, and asked her what I had going on that day. She told him what I'd told him and he hung up the phone. He pulled me out of his car and told me to go home and that he'd better not ever see me speeding again or he'd make sure I'd never get to drive my car ever. I got no ticket nor warning (written warning atleast haha). I drove home nervous, white as a ghost and had more respect for LEO's starting that day. Most of all thankful and lucky he didn't ruin me.

Last edited:

tj04cobra

Established Member
Everybody has a bad day:shrug:

True, I would just let it go. He called you idiot and stupid if I :read: correctly. 2nd graders report that kinda stuff. No use in going thru any hassle to let the department know that their LEO called you idiot and stupid.

Lawman

Established Member
True, I would just let it go. He called you idiot and stupid if I :read: correctly. 2nd graders report that kinda stuff. No use in going thru any hassle to let the department know that their LEO called you idiot and stupid.

It was very unprofessional of the officer to address you that way. If it happened the way you said it happened, then do what you think is right.

Quik Z06

Established Member

:D Should have asked him if he understood english when you told him "I live on this street"

tj04cobra

Established Member
It was very unprofessional of the officer to address you that way. If it happened the way you said it happened, then do what you think is right.

I agree with you 100% he should do what he thinks is right. Just my opinion is he should let it go. Not every LEO is professional 100% of the time especiially with all they deal with day to day. He could have said much worse. But do what you think is right OP.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
IF the incident occured exactly as the op states, I would report it.

347zz5.0

Established Member
Everybody has a bad day:shrug:
Police deal with a disproportionate number of assholes in their day to day work.

So do I, all day, and I would be fired on the spot if I talked to anyone like that. Without even the threat of being fired I would never ever talk like that to a complete stranger no mater how bad of a day I was having, I have this weird little hangup about being a dick to people.

Ridiculous that you would try to rationalize and justify someone talking like that to another, regardless of profession.

347zz5.0

Established Member

Whatever you do for work imagine if that cop came into your work and you talked to him like he talked to you. How do you think he would react? Do you think he would sit there and wonder if maybe he should say something? Hell no he would throw a shit storm, and your boss, if you have one, would chew you out if not fire you on the spot.

So why in the hell would you give him a free pass just because he is a cop?
File a complaint and I guarantee you that you wont be the first to do so for that particular cop.

Lawman

Established Member
I agree with you 100% he should do what he thinks is right. Just my opinion is he should let it go. Not every LEO is professional 100% of the time especiially with all they deal with day to day. He could have said much worse. But do what you think is right OP.
It may be your opinion that he should let it go, however, would you feel differently if your mom/dad, or other relative were on the receiving end? What would you do if you were present at the time they were addressed this way?

Users who are viewing this thread