Can a stuck fuel injector be cleaned to work properly???

Rock777

Established Member
I have another thread where I'm trying to figure out how I'm getting gas in the crankcase. I believe that I have a fuel injector or two that are faulty or are stuck open, thus leaking fuel down the cylinder wall(s) and into the crankcase, cause my fuel pressure also should hold for a while after shutting off, but is bleeding off somewhere (about 10psi in 5 minutes).

My question is, if I put new pintle caps and o-rings on them and clean them, can they get operating normal again? Or should I buy new ones?

I know new ones would be nice re-assurance, but been spending too much and if possible to avoid spending another $150, I'd like to.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I take mine to Coast Fuel Injection to have them cleaned, repaired and calibrated. Then I know what I am dealing with.

Coast Fuel Injection, Inc.
1590 Industrial Avenue,
San Jose, CA 95112
(408) 287-7600

Rock777

Established Member
Appreciate the response. I'm thinking if I was close to a place that does this, it might be an option. But for the cost, time turnaround, and shipping, I can buy new injectors ~$160. do you know what they charge? Most I have heard of are between $15-30/injector

I take mine to Coast Fuel Injection to have them cleaned, repaired and calibrated. Then I know what I am dealing with.

Coast Fuel Injection, Inc.
1590 Industrial Avenue,
San Jose, CA 95112
(408) 287-7600

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Sorry, it has been a few years since I have had them work on injectors. But when they did, they did a good job.

Give them a call to see what the cost and turnaround time is.

Toasty

Established Member
Appreciate the response. I'm thinking if I was close to a place that does this, it might be an option. But for the cost, time turnaround, and shipping, I can buy new injectors ~$160. do you know what they charge? Most I have heard of are between $15-30/injector

Call around to your local diesel injector shops, some of they usually service gas injectors too.

The process to check them is to remove the screens in the throat of the injector and the o-rings and pintle caps, throw all your injectors in a conic bath of solvent for a period of time (I forget how long), then back flush them, then assemble with new screens and pintle caps, then flowtest them, and then install the new o-rings and voila, next to new injectors (usually).

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Yes you can clean it. Try the cleaner or soaking them in fuel for a few hours. They can get gummed up if the motor has been sitting for a while.

I had to do this for my buddy's new crate motor.

Rock777

Established Member
Well, good news, seeing definite improvement. I poured a bottle of SeaFoam in the tank, half full, last night. I let it idle for a while last night and then drove it around for a while today. I've checked it on a couple occastions since and have noticed the fuel pressured is sustained much better. It is only losing about 1psi in 5-6 minutes, compared to 10psi before the SeaFoam. I've also since changed the oil, which definitely had a smell of gas/fumes.

I'm pretty happy about this. :banana: I'm assuming this is probably about normal, as I wouldn't imagine it would hold 40psi with the engine off for hours or anything??? Anyone else ever checked the pressure drop over time?

Guys, thanks for the replies, it is truly appreciated. Any other input is still welcomed.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Glad to hear that the Seafoam is helping.
Until just two days ago mine used to hold pressure really well. Then yesterday and today the gauge was down to zero after sitting overnight, and after starting the engine the pressure took about a minute to get up to normal around 40 psi. The first time it happened I shut the engine off and turn the key to the run position to check that the fuel pump was indeed running. It hummed beautifully. The engine runs just fine through 6800 RPM.
I brought the car out of four months of winter storage 3 weeks ago. It was stored with a full tank of gas, and I have topped it twice after about 250 miles (maybe 15 gallons of gas total). Looks like it may need a Seafoam treatment!

Rock777

Established Member
Glad to hear that the Seafoam is helping.
Until just two days ago mine used to hold pressure really well. Then yesterday and today the gauge was down to zero after sitting overnight, and after starting the engine the pressure took about a minute to get up to normal around 40 psi. The first time it happened I shut the engine off and turn the key to the run position to check that the fuel pump was indeed running. It hummed beautifully. The engine runs just fine through 6800 RPM.
I brought the car out of four months of winter storage 3 weeks ago. It was stored with a full tank of gas, and I have topped it twice after about 250 miles (maybe 15 gallons of gas total). Looks like it may need a Seafoam treatment!

Yeah, I would think it would definitely help. Have you smelled your filler cap or dipstick to see if you can smell gas/fumes from running down the cylinder wall? Sounds like a very similar situation to what I had.

I'm definitely glad mine is improving, but would like to see it hold pressure even longer, like you said yours used to do. I haven't put many miles sine the SeaFoam, so hopefully it will continue to clean those last pesky deposits.

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
I put a bottle of Seafoam in the tank today. Thing is I don't drive it all that much, so it may take a couple of weeks to run through a tank. Maybe I'll cruise more in third gear to speed up the process.

Rock777

Established Member
I put a bottle of Seafoam in the tank today. Thing is I don't drive it all that much, so it may take a couple of weeks to run through a tank. Maybe I'll cruise more in third gear to speed up the process.

Yeah, driving in higher RPM's should run it through faster. Mine isn't a DD either, so I just took it for a drive only to get the Seafoam running through, and didn't use 5th on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread