Can anyone reccomend a battery tender?

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Im looking for a battery tender that I can wire in to my car to keep the battery alive when it sits for weeks. Unfortunately, I do not have a wall plug anywhere near the car.. Does anyone have any recommendations? :beer:

dan04gt

Behind Enemy Lines
Established Member
Get the one they sell at walmart ,and a extension cord.

Last edited:

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Get the one they sell at walmart ,and a extension cord.

The car is parked outside with a car cover. Extension cord is out of the question. Isn't there a pigtail that I can hook to the battery without having to plug it in to the wall? Trickle charger?

oldmodman

Established Member
The car is parked outside with a car cover. Extension cord is out of the question. Isn't there a pigtail that I can hook to the battery without having to plug it in to the wall? Trickle charger?

The actual "Battery Tender" comes with both spring clips and a "pigtail" with a quick connect on one end and terminals on the other. You can permanently attach it to your battery and plug the other end into the "Battery Tender" when you get home.

I use this one.

Battery Tender Plus - Batterytender.com

homer302

Banned
Dont EVER get a Battery Tender. Just plan on buying a battery every 3 years. It is much cheaper. If you leave your car hooked up to a battery tender and you are at work when a thunderstorm comes by it will destroy your car. Trust me. A storm went by my house while I was at work. When I got home, ALL TVs, DVRs game consoles, toasters, firdges, washer etc worked fine.
When I opened the garage door, the whole garage reaked of burnt electronics. The Battery Tender had some flashing light on it and when I turned the key on the car, it had all kinds of burned out bulbs, the ABS controller was fried, ECM (PCU) was toast, a few switches were done etc. The Tender no longer worked and 2 years later, I have yet to hear from Deltran about the Tender so they HAVE TO KNOW that the Tender is dangerous.
I wil just plan on replacing batteries from now on and I would recommend you do the same.
DONT USE A BATTERY TENDER!!!!!!!!!

RussZTT

Established Member
Dont EVER get a Battery Tender. Just plan on buying a battery every 3 years. It is much cheaper. If you leave your car hooked up to a battery tender and you are at work when a thunderstorm comes by it will destroy your car. Trust me. A storm went by my house while I was at work. When I got home, ALL TVs, DVRs game consoles, toasters, firdges, washer etc worked fine.
When I opened the garage door, the whole garage reaked of burnt electronics. The Battery Tender had some flashing light on it and when I turned the key on the car, it had all kinds of burned out bulbs, the ABS controller was fried, ECM (PCU) was toast, a few switches were done etc. The Tender no longer worked and 2 years later, I have yet to hear from Deltran about the Tender so they HAVE TO KNOW that the Tender is dangerous.
I wil just plan on replacing batteries from now on and I would recommend you do the same.
DONT USE A BATTERY TENDER!!!!!!!!!
It must of been a freak thing because like all chargers, they have a fuse to prevent just that. I know TONS of people that use those with no problems.
Oh, Leno use's them on all his cars, better tell him to get rid of them. :D

UWISHU1

Honey Badger
Established Member
I bought a Schumacher 1.5 Amp fully automatic float charger/tender this weekend for 17.99 at Wal Mart

If the car is outside I would just take the battery out and bring it inside.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The actual "Battery Tender" comes with both spring clips and a "pigtail" with a quick connect on one end and terminals on the other. You can permanently attach it to your battery and plug the other end into the "Battery Tender" when you get home.

I use this one.

Battery Tender Plus - Batterytender.com
This is the one I use. :thumbsup:

Bought mine on Ebay for $44 shipped.

homer302

Banned
It must of been a freak thing because like all chargers, they have a fuse to prevent just that. I know TONS of people that use those with no problems.
Oh, Leno use's them on all his cars, better tell him to get rid of them. :D

They do indeed have a fuse and mine was still intact after the incident. I dont dispute that it is rare and will wait for your post after you are the one it happens to. It is like rolling the dice. Sometimes you get snake eyes.

RussZTT

Established Member
They do indeed have a fuse and mine was still intact after the incident. I dont dispute that it is rare and will wait for your post after you are the one it happens to. It is like rolling the dice. Sometimes you get snake eyes.
I drive my cars frequently as I don't need one so you wont see me make a post about it. :D
Actually, this is the very first time I have heard of this, sucks.

NYstanger

Established Member

Wait, can you explain this? How do you charge the battery without running power out to the car?

black 10th vert

Established Member
Wait, can you explain this? How do you charge the battery without running power out to the car?

I'm confused about that statement too! How the hell can you power the battery tender without running power to it?:??: FWIW, I have the Shumacher(sp.?) one they sell for under $20 at Wallyworld, and it works great.

03COBRA-88

Established Member

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
FYI: The real "Battery Tender" brand is available at Batteries Plus stores too.

I use one every winter, but Homer302's story is a bit scary. I'm sure it's very rare, but perhaps an inexpensive surge suppressor on the extension cord is a worthwhile investment.

Last edited:

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
My battery died too. The car was sitting for almost 2 months, but the battery is almost 6 years old so it's bound to happen. I'm still holding back on a battery tender though, because the same thing happened to some guy my dad knows...his M3 was screwed up because of a thunderstorm.

sonicmach1

Established Member
You can get them from Harbor (Horrible) Freight too. For like $3, literally! I would probably spring for the WalMart one though...

Users who are viewing this thread