Can bad different bushings cause vibrations?

2012Ridge

Established Member
*Can bad diff bushings cause rear-end vibrations?*

My 03 is getting some rear end vibrations once over 40 MPH and also an occasional clunk in the floor during braking with clutch in. The clunking happened a few times. From what I have read the clunk is a cause from bad diff bushings correct? But can the vibrations be from the bushings? Also I have I hear a metal on metal kind of sound when drifting forward while in neutral (kinda like bad brake pads on rotors but brakes aren't engaged.wheels seem to spin freely.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

2012Ridge

Established Member
nothing? a yes or no would work at this point lol. My mechanic says rear end but some stuff that I've read on here contradict that theory.
I don't wanna waste money on something that's not gonna fix the issue. Especially being in the middle of a kitchen remodel i'm already strapped for cash.. This couldn't have come at a worse time but I gotta fix it so like I said any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Are your rear axle nuts tq to 250 ft/lbs? They tend to come loose and could cause a vibration. If one was loose for a period of time you could of damaged one of your axle bearings. I would check there first. Also the clunking sounds like the "cobra clunk". In the link below there is a few videos about checking for worn bushings.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/SN-95_Videos.htm

2012Ridge

Established Member
ill check the wheels for play side to side like the vid shows. But as for the clunk it is very loud and sounds violent. when it first happened I was in reverse backing out of a parking spot slowly and BANG!. I actually thought I ran something over like a kid on a bike or something. I got out of the car and looked and nothing thankfully lol.
I always thought the clunk was more subtle which i did have one but once you learned to shift around it you didnt really notice.. This noise seems entirely different. I may be wrong but who knows.

and thank you justakid for your response!

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
If I had to guess Id say something is broken in your diff. Youve listed several different problems/noises that could be caused by several different things but the chances of all of them occurring simultaneously is pretty low.

Vibrations at speed could be wheel/tire or driveshaft issue. Sounds like the grinding isnt brakes. Could be a backing plate or driveshaft hitting something but has anything taken place that would cause that? The cobra clunk is generally caused by the undersized bolt in the front IRS mounting holes and you are correct, it is subtle and I never heard/felt it when moving. Typically when shifting into gear from a stop. Ive had a few situations where the vehicle was driveable (with noticeable noise/vibration) but either you cant reverse or get a loud pop/bang when you have a chipped/broken gear (side/ring/pinion).

Might try making a real tight circle, both directions, at low speed. Id jack it up and spin everything by hand and under power--just let it idle in first. Might be able to hear or feel it. I cant say Ive ever heard of a CV joint making a grinding noise while in a straight line but they can definitely pop. Dont think Ive ever had one cause a vibration either. Id expect it to to be VERY close to completely coming apart if it was making that kind of noise/feel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread