Can Boss Manifold be Sanded/Painted?

BV600

Established Member
Is it possible to sand the Boss 302 and the lines off and Paint the Manifold, Like LSx Manifolds?

jbur074

Established Member
i was wondering the same thing, i would like to get the intake mani but i dont want it to say boss 302.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
i dont know if you need to sand it to pain it because is plastic. you can just clean it off real well and pain over it. I dont know if the boss 302 letters could be grinded down. I dont really mind it anymore. It sure would look sweet if it was all smooth out tho.

HessMotorsports

Established Member
Actually people do NOT powder coat LSX manifolds. A typical powder goes on at around 450 degrees which is far higher than even those manifolds can take. We do however paint a ton of them. Same with the older 3v intakes, and the new BOSS. The painting isnt the hard part but the prep is a serious PITA. If it isn't done right, it starts to lift a few months later. The underhood temps don't help either so let us know if we can help anyone out. :beer:

SicShelby09

Banned
Yeah there is a guy in the corvette community that can paint the engine covers of the newer model corvettes. He can make them super smooth. He calls them smoothie engine covers. He says the prep/sanding and the layers of paint he has to use to get them smooth like the body paint is unreal. More paint on those engine covers, then most of the car has. It can be done, but in no way would be worth it for a cosmetic piece.

This is what Im talking about.
corvette%20fuel%20rail%20covers.JPG

You would almost be better off using body filler to cover the whole thing, then sand it smooth and paint, primer and so on. Too much work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread