Can I replace the IRS mounting bushings without dropping sub-frame?

funmoneypit

Established Member
As the title states, I am wanting to upgrade my IRS with some FTBR sub-frame mounting bushings plus the front and rear diff bushings along with putting in a FRPP diff cover. I will do the upper and lower control arms later. Can I change out the parts listed without dropping the entire sub-frame? By looking at it, it seems possible. I am sure it will be a pain or should I just drop the while thing?

Any help is appreciated!!

funmoneypit

Established Member
Well if I have to drop it, might as well do the entire kit then.

Do you have to get the rear aligned after the upgrade? I am guessing yes but I have never had an IRS car before.

Thanks for the help guys!!

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Well if I have to drop it, might as well do the entire kit then.

Do you have to get the rear aligned after the upgrade? I am guessing yes but I have never had an IRS car before.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Yes you will have to. Whenever you mess with front or rear suspension it is a very good idea to get the alignment checked

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Yes they can be done without dropping the IRS. I did the fronts first then the rears. Not too bad of a job but time consuming.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Yes they can be done without dropping the IRS. I did the fronts first then the rears. Not too bad of a job but time consuming.

Ok, that's what I thought. Do the front and should be able to pull them down far enough to replace them. Then the same in the back. I don't know, it's not my DD so if it's off the road for a few days while I drop the IRS, it's not that big of a deal. Sometimes I think I would rather just do everything but I have never messed with these rears so other times I just want to do the shorter route.

Woody6799

Established Member
Ok, that's what I thought. Do the front and should be able to pull them down far enough to replace them. Then the same in the back. I don't know, it's not my DD so if it's off the road for a few days while I drop the IRS, it's not that big of a deal. Sometimes I think I would rather just do everything but I have never messed with these rears so other times I just want to do the shorter route.

Do it once, and do it right. It's not your DD so drop it, strip it, and build it. It will be worth it in the long run. And yea... do the whole kit.

RichM1983

Established Member
It is super easy to drop.

-Disconnect the driveshaft
-Disconnect the ABS lines that come out of the car by the front subframe bolts. You will need to remove the back seat to gain access.
-Go in the trunk and disconnect the top of the rear shock
-Remove your rear calipers and hang them up so they don't hang while dropping the IRS.
-Also disconnect the parking brake cables.
I'm pretty sure thats it. I just did this a couple months ago.

Then you have four bolts that hold it in. I found the greatest way to support it is a motorcycle lift.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I think this would be one of those jobs where you'd spend more time trying to save time by not dropping the whole thing.

I'D WIN

Established Member
^^Agreed.

Drop the IRS and do the entire kit. Not only will it be easier but more complete.

I don't understand why you would only do a portion of the install.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Thanks for the responses everyone. I will be doing the entire FTBR kit plus an FRPP diff cover at the same time. Once and done. Already have tires ordered plus FLSFC's which should all be here this week.

Users who are viewing this thread