Can someone help identify these headers?

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
So I bought this Cobra from a dealership and they had little clue of the mods on it. The car has headers and it has an exhaust leak coming from around the passenger header. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace the header gaskets. I need to know what brand these headers are so I can order the right gaskets before I tackle this PITA. Only writing I can find was BX on the header flanges, is that a BBK header?? They also look like mid length and slip fit(which might be the leak) Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20221022_172657.JPG
    20221022_172657.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 20221022_172854.JPG
    20221022_172854.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 20221022_172941.JPG
    20221022_172941.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 146

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, I knew you guys would know what they are! It does have a Bassani X pipe so that makes sense, I just had trouble finding any mention of what they were online. Would these be considered mid length headers?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Yes they are considered mid length headers. They only work with the Bassani X pipe because there’s a short intermediate pipe between the header in the mid pipe. If that was part of the header then they would be long tubes. I run them for ground clearance.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
Great info! Now that we have that out of the way my question is about the installation. I've done searchs but what I've found is 15 years old. They were recommending using OEM gaskets+ the Remflex ones along with some locking header bolts. Is that what you guys recommend? I'm also planning on borrowing a local shops lift, dropping the K member and starter so I can get to it, is that the method yall would recommend? Thank you for the responses, it's much appreciated

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Just go with the Remflex gaskets. No need for the stock gaskets. I used some copper RTV to help keep the gaskets in place.

I have a mix of stock studs and ARP bolts on my headers. The starter has to come out. And dropping the K is pretty much required. I dropped the K and removed the motor mount nuts. I would adjust them as needed to get to the nuts/bolts.

If you're unsure of the motor mounts now is the time to swap them.

03' White Snake

Established Member
No, only remflex gaskets. Do not pair them up with OEM. I use 12.9 M8x25 socket head screws. If you get the 6” ball end Allen’s from Harbor Freight you can access all the bolts to tighten them.

Support the engine, from the top or the front lip of the oil pan and a jack with wood. Remove springs/ struts from spindles. Remove steering rack and zip tie it to the sway bar. Undo sway bar from end links. Undo the calipers and support them. Lower the k member, and pull it out of the way. You can then lower the engine a tiny bit and get to all the bolts.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
No, only remflex gaskets. Do not pair them up with OEM. I use 12.9 M8x25 socket head screws. If you get the 6” ball end Allen’s from Harbor Freight you can access all the bolts to tighten them.

Support the engine, from the top or the front lip of the oil pan and a jack with wood. Remove springs/ struts from spindles. Remove steering rack and zip tie it to the sway bar. Undo sway bar from end links. Undo the calipers and support them. Lower the k member, and pull it out of the way. You can then lower the engine a tiny bit and get to all the bolts.
I got the gaskets on the way, the shop I'm going to has one of those fender mounted bars that we can support the engine with up top, need to see where to put the chains though. How many Ft pounds do you torque the header bolts to? It's definitely alot of work to fix an exhaust leak but I want to punch a baby everytime I hear the farm truck sound, lol. Thanks for all the info and tips!

03' White Snake

Established Member
If using 12.9 screws..... 30 ft-lbs. I honestly go good and tight, don't go crazy as you will break the Allen ball off the tool.

This is what I use and can reach all the bolts....

PcChip

Established Member

MG0h3

Established Member
This makes me nervious - I just bought a catted Bassani X Pipe to use with my stock exhaust manifolds - will this still work?

Here are pics of my exhaust - What kind of exhaust do I have, and how can I make it quieter without losing performance (high flow cats?)

Yep. The bassani X is called a 5 piece.

Back portion to mufflers.

Two pieces on each side to reach manifolds.

Or remove one piece from each side for the mid lengths.

I have a Bassani X on manifolds on my car.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dave.O

Established Member
I installed my mid lengths with k member on car…. That said it probably took twice as long as it would with k member off
Use remflex as stated, i used stage 8 locking header bolts, no issues in 10+ yrs
If you are pulling the mid lengths entirely off I highly recommend you reseal where the primaries slip fit into collectors with high temp copper sealant or similar
Known leak spot on these

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I installed my mid lengths with k member on car…. That said it probably took twice as long as it would with k member off
Use remflex as stated, i used stage 8 locking header bolts, no issues in 10+ yrs
If you are pulling the mid lengths entirely off I highly recommend you reseal where the primaries slip fit into collectors with high temp copper sealant or similar
Known leak spot on these

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I never thought about it. Can you pull the slip fit end completely off the tubes?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I never thought about it. Can you pull the slip fit end completely off the tubes?
Yep. When you install them you mount one tube at a time then slide the collector on. They recommend antisieze on the joint. I put the copper RTV on mine last time I put them together.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Yep. When you install them you mount one tube at a time then slide the collector on. They recommend antisieze on the joint. I put the copper RTV on mine last time I put them together.
Ahhh, they were on the car when I got it.

Very good to know for my exhaust build I have in mind. Thanks man.

Users who are viewing this thread