Can you add the factory HID's after the fact...

spc9669

Established Member
Getting ready to pick up a 5.0, only option it doesn't have is the HID's how hard is it to add the factory HID's? And how much?

AmnDucky

Established Member
I looked into it briefly, and the general consensus I got was that yes you can. But each headlight is over $900. Not sure if $1800+ is worth it.

spc9669

Established Member
It's definitely not worth it from the price of the parts. Looks like I need to continue searching.

FWP!

Established Member
As soon as someone makes an aftermarket projector housing, I'm all over it. The OEM hid's go for about $400 a side on ebay.

spc9669

Established Member
Does anyone know if the HID's are plug and play, or is there a lot more to it? Because if its $800 I might just buy the car without them and add them later.

Stangman@SM

UBENB10
Established Member
I added an HID conversion to mine last weekend. I did the headlights and fogs. I just added the hid bulbs and ballast. Not the projector housing.

I think the HID projector headlight option looks like crap. Why is the housing silver? Ford should have made it black.

kingnut

Established Member
I added an HID conversion to mine last weekend. I did the headlights and fogs. I just added the hid bulbs and ballast. Not the projector housing.

I think the HID projector headlight option looks like crap. Why is the housing silver? Ford should have made it black.

best post ive read on this forum. :rockon:

203Cree

Established Member

You do know that's pretty much worthless right? HID bulb in a non projector housing looks like ass and pretty well blinds everyone in the oncoming lane, and that's about it.

OP, you get the glass roof too?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Worthless huh? Looks like ass? Interesting...

Theirs plenty of people out there that still believe that... Oh HID's in a non projector housing make baby jesus cry

News flash, HID's were coming out in cars before projectors... The 96 mark 8, the first domestic car standard to have HID's did not have projectors, nor did the 97 or 98... The 05-09's didnt have projector HIDs either....

its all about the housing and how you aim them, if they blind other drivers then they are aimed like crap... I have HID's in my bronco and even being lifted 4" and on 35's i've never had a single car flash me or beep at me, having friends drive in front of me they all say my headlights do not glare at all...

203Cree

Established Member
The first MkVIII's probably at least had a reflector base designed to work with HID bulbs. You take a standard reflector base meant for halogen headlights and place a HID bulb in it and it doesn't work. You'll get random bright spots, no cutoff and poor pattern. The light output it's self may be brighter, but you won't see as well.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Does anyone know if the HID's are plug and play, or is there a lot more to it? Because if its $800 I might just buy the car without them and add them later.

I went out of my way to avoid them because I thought $525 was insane for the factory option. $800 on HID's:dw:

Good luck though.

I know they sell kits that use the factory housing for $229, but they may be crap.

Stangman@SM

UBENB10
Established Member
Well, the 2010, 2011 halogen headlamp assemblies do a pretty good job of focusing the light. Much better than my 2002.
I can also guarantee you that you see better with HID bulbs too.

spc9669

Established Member
I really want the projectors though. If anyone knows the answer to this let me know!

kingnut

Established Member
You do know that's pretty much worthless right? HID bulb in a non projector housing looks like ass and pretty well blinds everyone in the oncoming lane, and that's about it.

OP, you get the glass roof too?

this post is bullshit. HIDs have long been used in non projector housings from the factory. its the douches that buy 12k color garbage that blind you in on coming traffic.

Mus35th

Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread