cannot seem to get into the 12's

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
Goodmorning All,

I went to the track last night (San Antonio Raceway) and the weather was almost perfect with DA's starting at 50' and ending at -367'. I felt the track was a little loose but then again it could have just been me. I drive a 2011 mustang gt a6 with gt500 axlebacks, kn drop in filter, and 255/45-18 continentals.

The last time I posted, my best times were 13.26 and I dont remember the mph. I gathered that everyone was launching from 1500-1800 on the stock auto. The track was very good that night similar DA's but my car was full weight plus about 60 lbs of tools and my sub. Now I know my car has it in it to break the 12's, I am just not sure if it can be done with ME in the car. I believe this because last night I took out the back seat (except the seat backs), the spare/jack, my tools (confirmed the 60lbs yeesh) and sub. Even with all these items removed my best time was a 13.02@112 with a 2.1 60ft. I ran two 13.08's prior to this run and started the night with a 13.19 @111. I guess I should state that I am about 260 and I know every 100lbs adds a tenth.

So with all that said, does anyone have any ideas or advice to help me break that 12 barrier? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Rear suspension mods and good DR's will help in addition to what Chosyn1 said. For every 1/10th improvement on your 60', you will see up to 2x that on the 1/4 mile ET. What RPM where you doing though the trap?

StangingAround

Established Member
I guess I just don't understand why he can't put down what road and track did a few years back at 12.7? Must be the tires, no?

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
I was hoping to get into the 12's stockish. but I suppose yall are right with the dr's I just would rather do the tune before dr's esp since 255 is the limit of stock wheels. I do not recall what rpm I was at, but I know it shifted into 4th just before the end, I think if it wasnt shifting a 6k I might have broken the 12's easy
stangin- are you m6 or a6? I ask because it seems, that more are having difficulty with 12's with the a6. it just may be my chubby butt slowin it down. I also didnt think the track was very well prepped when I ran, at the 1/8th there was cruhhed gravel from a super duty that just ran.

Last edited:

May93

Established Member
That's actually not bad for a stock GT. You'll hear from the experts shortly though how about you cant drive and how fast they went in their stock Mustang. The key is being consistant and continuing to practise. The drag radials and higher launch will definitely help. It's how fast you drive it and not how fast it's supposed to go that matters. I've out ran cars I know were faster then mine before and I have also lost when I should have won. Most drivers advertise what they could have run or should have run as their best times or in some cases what the magazines say it will run.

Last edited:

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
Are you spinning at launch or bogging?

im spinning lightly but this night was spinning through 1st. Also my fiancee ran the track against me (in her 07 gt w/bama tune, flows and cai)and she ran a 13.7 spinning like crazy.

That's actually not bad for a stock GT. You'll hear from the experts shortly though how about you cant drive and how fast they went in their stock Mustang. The key is being consistant and continuing to practise. The drag radials and higher launch will definitely help. It's how fast you drive it and not how fast it's supposed to go that matters. I've out ran cars I know were faster then mine before and I have also lost when I should have won. Most drivers advertise what they could have run or should have run as their best times or in some cases what the magazines say it will run.

thanks for the positive response, I wish I could get drag radials but I just cannot afford them right now, getting married in march. I honestly believe after talking to a buddy to raced the same night that the track either wasnt very well prepped or had so many people on it that it went to crap by the time I got there. it was nasty, at the 1/8th maybe closer there was gravel crushed from previous runs on the track.

Last edited:

mustang john

Established Member
Your 12 slip is all in the sixty, a 2.1 isnt all that great. Get it down to a 2.0 or 1.95 and you will have your 12 second slip. Then get some drag radials and quit messing with street tires! lol

I race at SAR also, if you ever see a tall white guy in a silver 03 Cobra come by and say hello.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
Mid Atlantic Performance's 2014 Mustang GT / CS
Best track time so far is 11.23 @ 121 MPH 1.5 60'~ only mods are:
Cobra Jet Intake Manifold, 5" inhouse cold air kit, Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body, Circle D torque converter, off road H, one piece driveshaft, race star wheels and our custom tune!! Car was raced with zero weight reduction & 100% stock suspension!

copied this from my tuner's facebook...https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mid-Atlantic-Performance/121007751288868

your car has alot more in it

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
Your 12 slip is all in the sixty, a 2.1 isnt all that great. Get it down to a 2.0 or 1.95 and you will have your 12 second slip. Then get some drag radials and quit messing with street tires! lol

I race at SAR also, if you ever see a tall white guy in a silver 03 Cobra come by and say hello.

yea I have seen your car there. I saw you launch like you had effing jet packs. love the termi man. I will most definitely hit ya up.

A good tune will help your times, the stock tires are tough to get a good launch with.

sadly I know this is true and reviewing my tire purchase from discount tire I realize now that they gave me the tires with a 540 treadwear instead of the 340s

Mid Atlantic Performance's 2014 Mustang GT / CS
Best track time so far is 11.23 @ 121 MPH 1.5 60'~ only mods are:
Cobra Jet Intake Manifold, 5" inhouse cold air kit, Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body, Circle D torque converter, off road H, one piece driveshaft, race star wheels and our custom tune!! Car was raced with zero weight reduction & 100% stock suspension!

copied this from my tuner's facebook...https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mid-Atlantic-Performance/121007751288868

good to know.

your car has alot more in it

32fountain

Established Member
If you are spinning any at all try launching at no more than 1,000 rpm's. You could even try leaving at idle. See what happens. You are awfully close to 12's.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Idle is where it is at with street tires. I had to leave at idle today and was running consistent 12.80's though my 60 foot sucked. Still, it kept me in the 12's.

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
Idle is where it is at with street tires. I had to leave at idle today and was running consistent 12.80's though my 60 foot sucked. Still, it kept me in the 12's.

Yea I'm gonna give er a go off of idle. She spins like crazy otherwise.

I went 12.8 at san Antonio raceway with paper plates still on the car:coolman:

A6 or m6?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Keep your eye on the classified, been some cheap rear drag setups. S197FORUM has had some good deals also.

Users who are viewing this thread