Can't update tune on my SCT with a Mac...wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilSnake

Established Member
This is BS. All I need to do is update my tune for the install of a cat delete H pipe and of course I can't update the tune on my SCT through my MacBook. This is a royal PITA. I find it fairly lame that they can't get some sort of program together so that the operation could be performed on a Mac.

Poppacapp

Established Member
This is BS. All I need to do is update my tune for the install of a cat delete H pipe and of course I can't update the tune on my SCT through my MacBook. This is a royal PITA. I find it fairly lame that they can't get some sort of program together so that the operation could be performed on a Mac.

Don't Macs have a PC emulation thingy? I'm not up on the Apple stuff... because... well..... imo.........apple sucks :rockon: :banana:

EvilSnake

Established Member
OP, are you camping outside of an Apple store by any chance?

If my garage in the middle of the prairies of Saskatchewan is within a 300 mile radius of a Mac store, then yes I am.

I've always had macs because I am a song writer and they have many useful creative features. Kinda blows that SCT isn't compatible with one of the biggest computer companies in the world.

Stanger00

Established Member
download widows 7 ultimate and then copy image to a disc.

After ejecting disc run finder to locate bootcamp. Double click on that icon and follow instructions. I think you will also need to load up drivers for windows OS for mac onto a thumb drive to complete bootcamp process. Prepare to give up a minimum of 25GB of your harddrive to do this.

This is the only way to get SCT to work on a MAC.

Nukem1040

Established Member
download widows 7 ultimate and then copy image to a disc.

After ejecting disc run finder to locate bootcamp. Double click on that icon and follow instructions. I think you will also need to load up drivers for windows OS for mac onto a thumb drive to complete bootcamp process. Prepare to give up a minimum of 25GB of your harddrive to do this.

This is the only way to get SCT to work on a MAC.

I'm in the same boat. I was trying to download SCT yesterday and remembered I have to do it on my HP. Pros and Cons, a well :shrug:

itSSlow98

Established Member
Mac computers are horrible. If you gave me a macbook id sell it on craigslist and buy an HP.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member

This is what happens when you attempt a man's work with a woman's tool...

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
This is what happens when you attempt a man's work with a woman's tool...

Lulz
I dont see why a grown man would buy a mac

As stated you will need to run a windows emu or switch to a diablo

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's not Apple's fault if a vendor chooses not to provide a software app for the Mac. That's the vendor's decision. Those needing an app for their Mac should complain to the vendor.

More info on Bootcamp and Parallels. Of the two, I think Parallels is the smoother, easier to use choice. JMO.

Bootcamp
Bootcamp FAQs - Boot Camp 4, OS X Lion and Mountain Lion: Frequently asked questions
Windows 7 on a MAC FAQs - Boot Camp: Installing Windows 7 Frequently Asked Questions
Using Bootcamp - Apple - Support - Boot Camp - Using Boot Camp
System Requirements - Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems
Bootcamp Support - Apple - Support - Boot Camp - Get Started
General Info - Boot Camp (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parallels
Website - Run Windows on Mac - Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac - Parallels - Parallels

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Why not just go buy a cheap laptop. I mean, I just bought an all in one with touchscreen desktop for $400. I'm sure you could find one on craigslist for under $100 and I'm sure you don't need the latest operating system or some gaming rig to get the job done. Apples great if you're an artist or looking to be a hipster, but I think it gets more fanboy praise than it deserves. I've always had a pet peeve when people walk into a store asking for an iPod and I know they're just referring to an mp3 player in general...there are other far superior "hard drives with a head phone jack" out there. Had to get that off my chest. Hate when my Grandpa refers to my Android as an iPhone or iPad...lol

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Why not just go buy a cheap laptop. I mean, I just bought an all in one with touchscreen desktop for $400. I'm sure you could find one on craigslist for under $100 and I'm sure you don't need the latest operating system or some gaming rig to get the job done. Apples great if you're an artist or looking to be a hipster, but I think it gets more fanboy praise than it deserves. I've always had a pet peeve when people walk into a store asking for an iPod and I know they're just referring to an mp3 player in general...there are other far superior "hard drives with a head phone jack" out there. Had to get that off my chest. Hate when my Grandpa refers to my Android as an iPhone or iPad...lol

Kleenex, Bush Hog, Coke...Many brands have become synonymous with the products they popularized. That's GREAT marketing! It's common to ask for a Kleenex when you need a facial tissue, even though if you're handed a Puffs you probably wouldn't refuse it. There are probably more people around here who can tell me what a "Bush Hog" is than can tell me what a "rotary mower" is. It doesn't bother me, but I understand why it might irk others. I get that same fingernails-on-chalkboard feeling when people refer to "wheels" as "rims":fm:

As for the Apple / PC thing, I wish Mac compatibility was more prevalent. After a lifetime of being a PC, I purchased a MacBook Air for my last computer, and have been completely happy with it. It does everything my old Dell's would do, it just does it better. My daughter is about to start college (accounting). I debated getting her a PC to prevent any compatibility problems, but after spending days debugging, disinfecting, and ultimately wiping and reinstalling Windows on a couple of laptops for two other people, I remembered what is was like to own a PC... never again! Until my Mac lets me down, I'm never going back.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

I find it lame that you believe SCT should have to rewrite their program to cater to a few mac kiddies.

I wouldnt make a Mac version either. Id state on my website "Compatible with real computers running Windows only"

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Again, I'm just gonna suggest picking up a used windows and wiping it clean and using it as a dedicated "shop" or tuning computer. Most of the tuning software and therefore tuners are using windows so it could be a good investment. By the time you buy a new copy of windows and go to the trouble of uploading it as a separate os taking up over 20gigs of you HD a cheap laptop would be well worth it.

I'll accept what you say about viruses and stability, but if uou used it solely for tuning and minimal other purposes you should have very little issues...especially if you back up the tunes on a memory stick.

In fact, if you don't need a disc drive, you can get a mini laptop new for a couple hundred bucks and significantly less for an outdated used one that will still meet your needs.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The most cost effective solution would be to have a friend upload the tune onto the SCT for you. Windows computers aren't rare, so I'm sure you work with or know someone who can perform this operation for you.

Sick03Vert

Banned

Found your problem.

A Mac? Having compatibility issues? Imagine. :bored:

Every iPhone user in our company likes to talk about how great Macs are. That is, until they actually try to use the damn thing.

Apple - "Simplicity Breeds Stupidity"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread