Capabilities of the new 5.0?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Interesting discussion about the 5.0 compared to the new 5.4 about which one could create more power with the same mods up in roadside. So I will bring the specific question down here.

What are the capabilities of this new 5.0 when its said and done? Would like to get info both on n/a and blown applications. When properly built what type of power numbers would you expect(specifics and examples will be great) without stroking the motor?

My gut feeling is that one would be able to get about 480-500rwhp out of one of the new 5.0 after its built(tune, intake, 8k rpms, heads, cams, lt's and full exhaust).

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
I don't think N/A its gonna bet too 500 and still be street-able. The camaro and srt's can because they have a big advantage in the displacement department. It's once again that ford keeps being the one with the smaller engine of the big three in their performance cars.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I think there is potential for 30-40 RWHP with the usual NA bolt-ons like LTs, mid pipe, and catback, along with a CAI and good tune. I just wonder how much ford left on the table, I get the feeling this motor is somewhat on the ragged edge in NA form. Have cams ever made a big difference in mod motors? I have owned 2 cobras (01, 03) and have always heard so and so was going to install cams, however, no one seemed to keen to post their results? My 01 went from 270 ish RWHP to 312 with just BBK LTs, offroad shorty-h, bassani catback, CAI and dyno tune at Texas Speed works. Conservative tune at that and tq was 320RWTQ. I would expect similiar results if not better with the coyote mill...

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i'll say that 500RWHP might happen on 93 pump with a built engine and 8,000+RPMs. i'll also say that 6PSI will get you 500RWHP. i obviously don't have any hard info to back any of this up, but that's my predictions.

GTermi

Established Member
I just hate the 11.1 compression. i believe they should have just gone with the 5.0 but thrown a blower on the thing and call it a day. this cars not going to be much fun to mod IMO.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
500rw N/A wil be on the extreme end, but doable with a built engine. 8K RPM will be hell for the tranny though, unless upgraded.

We know the heads will easily support it, and that's the most important thing.

I think a ~450rw N/A mill would be considered pretty stout, but may take some time. Too bad the Ford aftermarket doesn't have the N/A support that the GM guys do.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
500rw N/A wil be on the extreme end, but doable with a built engine. 8K RPM will be hell for the tranny though, unless upgraded.

I think a ~450rw N/A mill would be considered pretty stout, but may take some time. Too bad the Ford aftermarket doesn't have the N/A support that the GM guys do.

There are a couple people here that think the 5.0 is more effecient than the 5.4. Because of this they say that the 5.0 can put up numbers similar or better than the 5.4 n/a or with boost. There have been a few 5.4 hitting above 550rwhp n/a while the best i heard of is al p 5.4 597rwhp spinning to 8400rpms n/a.

I just dont believe the new 5.0 can reach those numbers regardless of build/er.

nestmendoza98

Established Member
the new 5.0s gona have 420 bhp..... it has 4v turbo it and make 1000 hp :) the 2011 gt 500s cant be stroked out because fords using plasma-transferred wire arc (PTWA). It basically involves blowing a fine mist of molten steel at high speed onto a rough surface and then honing that surface into a perfect cylinder bore. You cant stroke out the 2011 5.4s. Best thing would be use a huge kenne bell :)

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
the new 5.0s gona have 420 bhp..... it has 4v turbo it and make 1000 hp :) the 2011 gt 500s cant be stroked out because fords using plasma-transferred wire arc (PTWA). It basically involves blowing a fine mist of molten steel at high speed onto a rough surface and then honing that surface into a perfect cylinder bore. You cant stroke out the 2011 5.4s. Best thing would be use a huge kenne bell :)

Let's try English next time.

BTW, you're not going to make 1000hp on a stock short block with a 5.0.

jman511115

Established Member

You mean you can't bore it... You could still stroke it a bit.

Dave07997S

Established Member
My personal opionion is that the car could probably squeeze out 517hp NA with an elevated rpm capability, but I don't see 500rwhp. The current E92 M3 is pretty much a normally aspirated guys wet dream and the car is making 414hp with 4.0L's or 103.5hp/litre. Extrapolate that out to Ford's 5.0L motor and you get 517hp or pretty much what an M5 makes with its 5.0L V10. Now if we are talking about a race motor with no cats and such maybe 450-475rwhp out of a 5.0L motor.

The E92 M3 has made as much as 424rwhp in built form with a 4.6L V8 stroker motor that cost beau-coup dollars. A bolt on M3 has made 398rwhp but it had no cats.

Dave

Formula51

Established Member

There was a thread I read where someone close with the Ford Racing Program said they were spinning around 7,500rpm safely and that only a few pushed it close to 8k and they backed down. Can't remember if tunning was the difficulty or what.

Do we know the rpm limits of the syncros in the 6 speed tranny Ford will be using in the Mustang? There is not point in making power beyond the limits of where you can shift the car other than bragging rights. Hence, the 8400rpm 5.4 build D BIT referred to.

The 5.0 should put around 350-360hp to the wheels stock. I expect we might see 100rwhp over stock from some serious but streetable and SHIFTABLE builds. How reliable the engine will be at that power and rpm will take some time to find out.

Not sure what we will see from blower setups but people will have to find the new limit of the engine (rods).

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
as always, tuners will get maximum HP out of this engine. I prefer N/A for open track.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I just hate the 11.1 compression. i believe they should have just gone with the 5.0 but thrown a blower on the thing and call it a day. this cars not going to be much fun to mod IMO.

Already it has it via a shelby gt350. Whipple s/c and not sure what else. Ppl said at one time a 86 stang gt was impossible to mod. So it already appears to me the software has already been given out along w tuning help by the ford engineers. That is the big thing imo. Just look on youtube 2011 gt 350.

Users who are viewing this thread