Car Audio- and "Growing Up"

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Having a baby - and two project cars - really shifts priorities

So both of my last two trucks came without sound systems - as the previous owners pulled their audio systems.

The Tundra I tossed in some old Rockford 6.5 + tweeters up front. I forget the model, paid like $400 back in 2014.

Ended up just throwing some Pyle PLG64 6.5 Mid Bass in the rear with sound deading in the doors. Actually worked out great.

Well the Silverado is getting an upgrade.

It's got some horrible $10 aftermarket's up front and nothing in the rear right now.

I ended up going full Pyle . Corbic of 2012 is turning on his grave.

Blown 89

Established Member
Stock audio systems are getting good enough that there isn't a dire need to upgrade like there was in the 80's and 90's. Going Pyle though? Your children have ears too you know.

I've had the Volt for a year now, I have full set of Focal K2's as well as a custom enclosure for the Volt but haven't found the time to put them in. I'm not sure it's worth the effort to be honest.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Stock audio systems are getting good enough that there isn't a dire need to upgrade like there was in the 80's and 90's. Going Pyle though? Your children have ears too you know.

I've had the Volt for a year now, I have full set of Focal K2's as well as a custom enclosure for the Volt but haven't found the time to put them in. I'm not sure it's worth the effort to be honest.

Piles (of Shit) simply because it was stupid cheap, and like I said, those Mid-Subs actually worked well.

While I'm sure modern stereos are good (lie, the system in my Scatpack was trash and I upgraded to JBLs instantly) - my Silverado is a 2005 and doesn't even have a factory speakers. It doesn't even have 4 speakers!!

I guess my point was 15 years ago, dropping $1,500 and making sure to have a quality balanced and tuned system we as a thing. Now it's like - well shit, just having music is enough, gotta buy them damn diapers.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Screenshot_20220112-100708.png

Screenshot_20220112-100751.png

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
In the process of finishing my build. Are you just running your highs/mids off head unit? I'd reccomend atleast a decent 5 channel amp for your mids and a 10" ported sub. Then you can get a decent set of mids which are around the $250-$350 range. Plenty above and below that of course.

Here is the list....
Hertz CK 6.5 Comps(FRONT)
Sundown Audio NeoPro V3 6.5's(REAR)
Four 8" Gately Relentless Subs
Gately Enclosure
Sundown Audio SALT 200.4
Sundown Audio SALT-4 @ .5
Dayton Audio DSP
Mechman370 Alternator w/Big 3
Next Level Fabrications 65ah Lithium

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I ripped my two JL W7's out of my tahoe like 4 years back and they've been sitting in the corner of my workout room collecting dust. About $4k worth of audio components just hanging out lol. My gt500 has decent enough audio where I'm not tempted to do anything extra, nor do I want to rattle the ever loving **** out of the car to the point where shit falls apart. I miss it, but I don't. My ears are probably greatful though.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I ripped my two JL W7's out of my tahoe like 4 years back and they've been sitting in the corner of my workout room collecting dust. About $4k worth of audio components just hanging out lol. My gt500 has decent enough audio where I'm not tempted to do anything extra, nor do I want to rattle the ever loving **** out of the car to the point where shit falls apart. I miss it, but I don't. My ears are probably greatful though.
Yeah I have tons of bass but I also have two 12" Sundown Audio Zv5's and a beautiful custom enclosure that I could throw in if I wanted. These moonroofs already have enough issues working, they don't need that kinda help.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Factory stuff is better than what it use to be for sure but if u want real sound quality u will need more than just a couple speakers. I have this set-up in both my Mustang and my Trackhawk. My RS3 has an Audison Theseis set up and is superier to the Focal.

Weight was a concern so I bought the Focal Subwoofer cause it only requires .03 cubic space to work and only requires a small foot-print so the box is realitivly lightweight.

I would just buy a complete set-up off ebay. Save thousands. The mark-up on audio equipment is 100%.

Focal Utopia M Series 3 way Front
Focal Utopia M Series Mid driver for rear
Focal Utopia MW Series 10 inch Sub
JL C7 Center Channel (TrackHawk)

Helix Pro DSP
Helix Director

Audison Duo 5 Channel
Audison Duo 2 channel

Attachments

• IMG_0542 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0542 (1).jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 43

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Factory stuff is better than what it use to be for sure but if u want real sound quality u will need more than just a couple speakers. I have this set-up in both my Mustang and my Trackhawk. My RS3 has an Audison Theseis set up and is superier to the Focal.

Weight was a concern so I bought the Focal Subwoofer cause it only requires .03 cubic space to work and only requires a small foot-print so the box is realitivly lightweight.

I would just buy a complete set-up off ebay. Save thousands. The mark-up on audio equipment is 100%.

Helix Pro DSP
Helix Director

Audison Duo 5 Channel
Audison Duo 2 channel
$2K front stage....baller.

q6543

Established Member
There was a time in like 93... maybe 94.. where "PYLE DRIVER" was a respectable sub.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
There was a time in like 93... maybe 94.. where "PYLE DRIVER" was a respectable sub.
There were alot of brands back then that were awesome that sold out. Orion and Hifonics just to name a few. But hell I would take Pyramid over Pyle.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

Helix Pro DSP
Helix Director

Audison Duo 5 Channel
Audison Duo 2 channel

some of it just seems like such a royal pain in the ass the way everything is integrated, part of the reason I never really dug into my current truck.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yea its no walk in the park. I would consider a sound system almost stressful in trying to determine sound quality vs. added weight and which speakers and amps to chose.

Would have loved to put (2) 12 inch subs but space and weight didnt allow so I had to spend double to get something less just to save weight and space smh.

I had to remove my rear seat and make a custom rear seat delete to fit the amps cleanly under it and out of sight. Yes a PITA it surely was.

some of it just seems like such a royal pain in the ass the way everything is integrated, part of the reason I never really dug into my current truck.

Users who are viewing this thread