car bogging at WOT!!! NEED HELP!!!!

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
Recently my car has been bogging at WOT around 4000 to 5000 rpms. Normal driving and idle is fine but at WOT it almost feels like im hitting a fuel cut its like an instant loss of power. My car isnt too heavily modded ether. I have a JLT short ram intake, pypes o/r x pipe, borla stinger catback, afco dual pass heat exchanger, and my boost is around 12-13lbs and it has been tuned. The spark plugs have been replaced with NGK TR6's gapped at .035. The car is not throwing any engine codes at all. This problem has just started recently and I have no clue what it is so any input would be great.

mxnboy111

Established Member
how long ago did u replace the plugs?? mine did the exact same thing and i took it to ford and they didnt know shyt either..... later that day a actually looked at my plugs... i had originally set them at .035 also but all of em were like at .060 so under WOT the spark cant jump that much of a gap and it starts to misfire.... check ur plugs again and make sure that they are set at the right gap.... lemme know how it goes...

stangaholic280

Established Member
I posted not too long ago about this. My car is having the same trouble. I got a lot of answers about spark plugs and a lot of answers about the fuel system (bad air/fuel ratio, need new fuel filters, etc.) Ford also couldn't tell me jack about it and I have yet to figure it out myself. Probably gonna try to datalog it and post the info soon. Looks like we are riding in the same boat! :)

thelpb

Established Member
Definitely sounds like a spark issue. Check your coils... Does it happen between 4500-5000 at part throttle or ONLY during WoT?

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
how long ago did u replace the plugs?? mine did the exact same thing and i took it to ford and they didnt know shyt either..... later that day a actually looked at my plugs... i had originally set them at .035 also but all of em were like at .060 so under WOT the spark cant jump that much of a gap and it starts to misfire.... check ur plugs again and make sure that they are set at the right gap.... lemme know how it goes...

the plugs were changed months ago but about a week MAYBE two weeks ago i pulled them out out of curiousity. The plugs were still in really good shape and when i checked the gap on them they were all still at a .035 gap. Some people are telling me it may be the maf but the maf has been cleaned and is till clean as a whistle, plus im not pushing enouogh power for the maf to be maxed out so im still clueless.

I posted not too long ago about this. My car is having the same trouble. I got a lot of answers about spark plugs and a lot of answers about the fuel system (bad air/fuel ratio, need new fuel filters, etc.) Ford also couldn't tell me jack about it and I have yet to figure it out myself. Probably gonna try to datalog it and post the info soon. Looks like we are riding in the same boat! :)

Im probably going to have to giv the datalog a shot too idk what else to do. Let me know what kind of numbers you get when you do it cause it does sound like we have the same problem.

Definitely sounds like a spark issue. Check your coils... Does it happen between 4500-5000 at part throttle or ONLY during WoT?

ive never tried it at part throttle only at WOT but i dont understand how its a spark issue when my plugs are still good theyre still gapped at .035. I guess the coils could be a possibility but how do i find out for sure?

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
Ok so I just tried it again it made it to about 5000 rpm maybe a lil more before cutting off but at about 1/4 and 1/2 throttle it seemed to be completely fine I felt a slight stutter but it didn't cut off completely like WOT does.

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
.035 believe it or not can still blow out. I've blown out .032 plugs @ 15 psi with a KB. Since it's the cheapest way to go, try closing your gap to .028 and try again. If it still happens, it's another issue, like fuel or a bad COP. A bad coil would keep you from revving at high rpm's though.

stangaholic280

Established Member
Not trying to steal this thread...just curious. What exactly does the gap of the spark plug do? What is the major difference between .28 and .35? Spark plug for dummies answer please. :read:

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
I had the same exact issue, the garage took out my plugs saw nothing wrong, but still put in new ones, and problem solved. Check if you have any white chaulk on your coils and id recommend changing your spark plugs and see'ing if it fixed it.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
PPRV?

My car did that 75% of the time when all I had done to it was the Stingers and a CAI. It annoyed me sooooooo much, that I couldn't get it to my mechanic for 3 weeks in AUgust, so I didn't drive it until then. I also had him change the fuel filter.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
.035 believe it or not can still blow out. I've blown out .032 plugs @ 15 psi with a KB. Since it's the cheapest way to go, try closing your gap to .028 and try again. If it still happens, it's another issue, like fuel or a bad COP. A bad coil would keep you from revving at high rpm's though.

I'm going to try closing the gap on them tommorow ill try closing to .032

I had the same exact issue, the garage took out my plugs saw nothing wrong, but still put in new ones, and problem solved. Check if you have any white chaulk on your coils and id recommend changing your spark plugs and see'ing if it fixed it.

The coils are completely clean no white chalk or anything I'm gona try closing the gap a little bit more tomorrow ill let u guys know what happens only thing I don't understand is I've always ran tr6s with a .035 gap and never had a problem until now and I haven't changed anything on the car. If slightly closing the gap doesn't help I'm sure that will narrow it down to a fuel issue which I'm hoping its not :(

army_man1014

Established Member
I posted something about this last week cause my car is doing the same exact thing around the same rpm. I first thought it was the FRPS(fuel rail pressure sensor) but then i started reading stuff about the FDCM(i think thats the way u spell it) pretty much its the box in your trunk that controls fuel. well there known to go into thermal shutdown mode so i think mine might be overheating due to me wantin that extra power when i stomp the gas. I have yet fixed the problem but im leaning towards just gettin a stage 2 FDCM and 2 gt supercar pumps. if you fix your issue please let me know so i can try to fix my car also.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
I posted something about this last week cause my car is doing the same exact thing around the same rpm. I first thought it was the FRPS(fuel rail pressure sensor) but then i started reading stuff about the FDCM(i think thats the way u spell it) pretty much its the box in your trunk that controls fuel. well there known to go into thermal shutdown mode so i think mine might be overheating due to me wantin that extra power when i stomp the gas. I have yet fixed the problem but im leaning towards just gettin a stage 2 FDCM and 2 gt supercar pumps. if you fix your issue please let me know so i can try to fix my car also.

Yea ill let u know if I figure it out the only thing I don't understand is if I was having some sort of fuel delivery issue wouldn't I be throwing a code?

army_man1014

Established Member
umm yea you should. I threw the P0148 which is fuel delivery code..its not very specific so right now im just troubleshooting whatever I can lol. I really think my issue is the FDCM which is a 100 fix for a stock unit and 300 for a upgraded one

army_man1014

Established Member
my car was tuned by a respectable tuner in ILlinois. I bought my car tuned already and i have the tuned saved in my predator. I was thinkin maybe i should return it back to stock tune to see what happens but i didnt want to mess with it

Users who are viewing this thread