Car boiled over...HELP

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
After I shut off my 2003 Cobra (with about 350 miles) it boiled over. When I shut it off the car did not seem that hot...maybe just a little over the middle of the gauge. The temperature was about 75 outside, but I had just parked it in the garage (out of the sun). Has anyone else had this problem?

BTW I live in a higher altitude and cars tend to run hotter here, due to a lack of oxygen.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
How much did it boil over? After it cools back down look and see what the coolent level is. If it only has 350 miles then it just might have been over full from the factory.

Goldy

Established Member
Originally posted by Sn8k Charmer
After I shut off my 2003 Cobra (with about 350 miles) it boiled over. When I shut it off the car did not seem that hot...maybe just a little over the middle of the gauge. The temperature was about 75 outside, but I had just parked it in the garage (out of the sun). Has anyone else had this problem?

BTW I live in a higher altitude and cars tend to run hotter here, due to a lack of oxygen.

It might be nothing more than a bad expansion tank cap (I'm guessing this is where the coolant exited the cooling system).

Mine has lost a few drops of coolant from the cap a time or two after shutting the engine. Though the coolant level in the expansion tank did not appear to change, I did open the cap (after the engine cooled) and added coolant/water (50/50 mix). Should you do this, be sure to open the vent (round thing, slightly larger than a quarter with a square opening which accepts a quarter inch driver, located just to the right of the supercharger) while adding the coolant mix; this will help keep air out of the cooling system. (Be sure to close this vent after filling the system.)

Howard

Last edited:

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
Re: Re: Car boiled over...HELP

Originally posted by Goldy
It might be nothing more than a bad expansion tank cap (I'm guessing this is where the coolant exited the cooling system).

Mine has lost a few drops of coolant from the cap a time or two after shutting the engine. Though the coolant level in the expansion tank did not appear to change, I did open the cap (after the engine cooled) and added coolant/water (50/50 mix). Should you do this, be sure to open the vent (round thing, slightly larger than a quarter with a square opening which accepts a quarter inch driver, located just to the right of the supercharger) while adding the coolant mix; this will help keep air out of the cooling system. (Be sure to close this vent after filling the system.)

Howard

Yes it was the expansion tank cap. I had a 1996 Mustang GT with a paxton supercharger, and this is the same place it would boil over, if I shut it off when it was too hot. What concerns me is the car was not "very hot", so I hope toofast4u is right and the factory overfilled the reservior/system. Just wondering if this was/is a common problem, and if I should take it to the dealer right away. If not, I will just clean off the overflow tank (I left the residue so the dealer could see), and chalk it up to a gremlin who has now "exited the building".

Thanks for the replies...

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Silly question, but what do you mean "boiling over"?

Recently I've been losing coolant around the radiator cap. Enough that it's puddling in the battery tray, splashing on the front bumper etc.

It's not a bad seal on the cap...already replaced that. The procedure for getting air out of the system has been peformed too.

It doesn't happen every time I drive the car, but it seems to happen more when it's hot outside. Something just occurred to me:idea: I'm not sure, but I think it's happening only when the A/C is on.

Any ideas?

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
"Boiling over" occurs after you turn your car off. As opposed to overheating which occurs while the car is running, now don't get me wrong, your car can boil over while its running, it's just not the same usage for the term. When your car "boils over", it expels fluid due to heat-sink (I think I am using that term right). The process where your car heats-up when you turn it off, because the fan stops cooling the engine.

I8ACMRO

Established Member
My car leaked coolant after engine shutdown for the first couple hundred miles, due to over service from the factory.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Then I don't know what mine is doing. I can smell the coolant when I'm driving and when I pop the hood it's everywhere. :(

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by I8ACMRO
My car leaked coolant after engine shutdown for the first couple hundred miles, due to over service from the factory.
Mine's a year old with almost 9K on it and this just started happening.

NCStanger

Established Member
This doesn't sound so good. I haven't seen mine do this at all yet and I have 15,500 on mine in pretty hot and humid North Carolina. I do notice when I drive around the city alot, even in the evenings, that my feet start warming up in the floor board from engine heat after a while. I know I would head straight to my dealer if I see anything like this on such a new car.

03blackvert

Established Member
Mine "boiled over" the first 4-5 times I took it out, seemed to be factory overfill as every time I checked the coolant level afterwards it was past MAX. Hasn't done it for a few times now (250 miles) but it's still right at MAX.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Mine did a couple times too....but I checked the overfill cap....the large round one and it was loose. Damn tech must of not tightened it

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Then I don't know what mine is doing. I can smell the coolant when I'm driving and when I pop the hood it's everywhere. :(
Have you checked your lower radiator hose? Sometimes it will rub against the lower pulley and make a hole in it if it's not secured.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Recently I've been losing coolant around the radiator cap. Enough that it's puddling in the battery tray, splashing on the front bumper etc.

It's not a bad seal on the cap...already replaced that. The procedure for getting air out of the system has been peformed too.

It doesn't happen every time I drive the car, but it seems to happen more when it's hot outside. Something just occurred to me:idea: I'm not sure, but I think it's happening only when the A/C is on.

Any ideas?

Race,
Mine did the same thing, actually had to call roadside. It turned out to be a thermostat problem. Mine got replaced, no more prob.

jason

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by 2thman
Race,
Mine did the same thing, actually had to call roadside. It turned out to be a thermostat problem. Mine got replaced, no more prob.

jason

Funny you mention that...I don't think my fans are working. Will a bad thermostat affect the fans?
The gauge isn't showing the car overheating though.

...and thanks for the input :beer:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Fan is working.
How do I check the thermostat? I want to avoid a trip to the dealer at all costs.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Fan is working.
How do I check the thermostat? I want to avoid a trip to the dealer at all costs.

I don't know about current methods, but in the old days people used to take the thermostat out and put it in a pan of warm water with a thermometer. Then heat the water up and read the thermometer when you see the thermostat open. They're not that expensive so you could just replace it if you have concerns.:)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
I don't know about current methods, but in the old days people used to take the thermostat out and put it in a pan of warm water with a thermometer. Then heat the water up and read the thermometer when you see the thermostat open. They're not that expensive so you could just replace it if you have concerns.:)

That is the only way I know to do it and did mine that way. I always check the stat before installing a new one it only takes like 10-minutes and gives reassurance it is working correctly. It beats installing it and then having to take it apart and reinstall if it doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread