Car & Driver highlights

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
alright, picked up the latest C&D solely because it's the 'lightening lap' issue(otherwise this mag blows), and it just so happens to be the issue that regurgitates pretty much known '13 GT500 info as well. looks to be some interesting/new pieces of info that other sources might not have hit on...

"The new GT500 won't go on sale until May..."
i think this is the closest we've gotten to an "official" date thus far. may, this 2013 GT500 just might drop before the 2012 ZL1... ...but you can't compare the 2, cause they aren't the same year! just ask the experts at camaro5!!!:lol1:

"...off-the-line performance is now aided by a launch-control system. Engine rpm is adjustable from 2500 to 5500 to match available traction."
obviously we already know about the launch control, but min and max RPM appears to be new. i don't think it really means anything to anyone, but...
the-more-you-know.jpg

:lol1:

"Only a pro can beat it - and that's on a perfect day." - Jamal Hameedi, referring to the launch control
suck it GM nutswingers...

"The gearing changes and higher redline allows this Shelby to hit 60 mph in first gear and in no more than 3.7 seconds; we expect a quarter-mile time in the mid-11s."
notice that there aren't any qualifiers like "should" or "potentially" on the "no more than 3.7 seconds" comment. might this be something that hameedi mentioned, I.E., an unofficially official 0-60 time? i think baghdad al's simulatizor may need some adjusting...

"...the 5.8-liter's 650 horespower is developed at higher rpm than the current engine's 6200-rpm peak. A new over-rev feature allows the engine to spin 7000 rpm for up to eight seconds."
i believe this contradicts the hotrod mag quote that the engine made 670HP(IIRC) at ~7000RPM. then again, C&D could be the ones that are wrong instead of hotrod. gonna have to wait and find out i guess.

"Between 155 mph-the governed top speed of the current GT500-and the 200 mph max of the new model, aerodynamic forces rise by 115 percent."
the current GT500 is electronically limited, not drag or gearing limited, but interesting fact none the less.

Kewlv8

Established Member
ZL1... ...but you can't compare the 2, cause they aren't the same year! just ask the experts at camaro5!!!:lol1:

The whole 2012 model year with the ZL1 is ridiculous. 2013 models come out in the late spring\summer of 2012, which is when the ZL1 will appear. GM buyers will get screwed because the car will depreciate based on it's model year (2012), meaning it will have an extra year of depreciation vs. the 2013 ZL1 that comes out a month later. Thanks for nothing, GM.

Cobra Jay

Got Boost?
Established Member
alright, picked up the latest C&D solely because it's the 'lightening lap' issue(otherwise this mag blows), and it just so happens to be the issue that regurgitates pretty much known '13 GT500 info as well. looks to be some interesting/new pieces of info that other sources might not have hit on...

i think this is the closest we've gotten to an "official" date thus far. may, this 2013 GT500 just might drop before the 2012 ZL1... ...but you can't compare the 2, cause they aren't the same year! just ask the experts at camaro5!!!:lol1:

"...off-the-line performance is now aided by a launch-control system. Engine rpm is adjustable from 2500 to 5500 to match available traction."
obviously we already know about the launch control, but min and max RPM appears to be new. i don't think it really means anything to anyone, but...
the-more-you-know.jpg

"Only a pro can beat it - and that's on a perfect day." - Jamal Hameedi, referring to the launch control

"The gearing changes and higher redline allows this Shelby to hit 60 mph in first gear and in no more than 3.7 seconds; we expect a quarter-mile time in the mid-11s."
notice that there aren't any qualifiers like "should" or "potentially" on the "no more than 3.7 seconds" comment. might this be something that hameedi mentioned, I.E., an unofficially official 0-60 time? i think baghdad al's simulatizor may need some adjusting...

"...the 5.8-liter's 650 horespower is developed at higher rpm than the current engine's 6200-rpm peak. A new over-rev feature allows the engine to spin 7000 rpm for up to eight seconds."
i believe this contradicts the hotrod mag quote that the engine made 670HP(IIRC) at ~7000RPM. then again, C&D could be the ones that are wrong instead of hotrod. gonna have to wait and find out i guess.

"Between 155 mph-the governed top speed of the current GT500-and the 200 mph max of the new model, aerodynamic forces rise by 115 percent."
the current GT500 is electronically limited, not drag or gearing limited, but interesting fact none the less.

Seriously? :lol1:

You can't compare the 2012 ZL1 to the 2013 GT500, but it's ok to compare the Boss 302 to the ZL1 :rollseyes GMAFB

GM can't compete unless they have the upper hand. And if you say that the '13 GT500 has 70HP so it has the upper hand- hey it's not my fault GM won't put the ZR1 spec engine in the ZL1. Crapmaro is a POS and built for :loser:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ry said:
i think baghdad al's simulatizor may need some adjusting...

Captain Cluster**** will be chock full of excuses shortly and I can't wait for it.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member

the-more-you-know.jpg

Wait, people are making an argument that you can't compare the 2013 GT500 to the 2012 ZL1, when the GT500 might come out before the ZL1.........:lol1:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Seriously? :lol1:

You can't compare the 2012 ZL1 to the 2013 GT500, but it's ok to compare the Boss 302 to the ZL1 :rollseyes GMAFB

GM can't compete unless they have the upper hand. And if you say that the '13 GT500 has 70HP so it has the upper hand- hey it's not my fault GM won't put the ZR1 spec engine in the ZL1. Crapmaro is a POS and built for :loser:
oh dude, not only do they think that the ZL1 vs boss 302 is a fair comparison, but they think it's a better comparison than the ZL1 vs '12 GT500. you know, because the ZL1 is designed strictly and purely as a road course special like the boss 302, while the GT500 isn't track capable because GM says it isn't. i'm dead serious, they really, truly, believe this horse shit:nonono:
and apparently they've all read numerous reviews where the boss 302 was WAY faster than the GT500 on a road course too - even though the only direct comparison between the 2 had the GT500 a half second ahead on a tiny 1.8 mile course:dw: i don't know where this bullshit came from about the boss 302LS being faster than the GT500 on ANY track in the world, but you gotta be a complete moron if you believe that. similar handling numbers + 110 extra HP(2011), are you serious??? but i digress...

Captain Cluster**** will be chock full of excuses shortly and I can't wait for it.
i just can't believe that he's still going! how in the hell does he not know that this is gonna blow up in his face?! i mean, what 'good' does he think he's doing here? even he has to know that he's setting himself - and GM - up for humiliation. it simply doesn't make any sense what so ever:dw:

Wait, people are making an argument that you can't compare the 2013 GT500 to the 2012 ZL1, when the GT500 might come out before the ZL1.........:lol1:
yea man, 100% serious, they really do believe that at camaro5. i think i saw 1 guy pulling this shit over at ls1tech, but everyone called him out.
i'm coming to the conclusion that these 5th gen catfish guys really truly are worse than ricers. i mean really:dw:

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

ZL1 production has already begun so I don't see how that'll happen.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
ZL1 production has already begun so I don't see how that'll happen.

Gotcha. For the most part though the cars are coming out around the same time so it's ridiculous to say you can't compare the two. The Camaro faithful should just be happy they got that Boss vs. ZL1 match-up on GM's "home turf" so to speak.

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
i just can't believe that he's still going! how in the hell does he not know that this is gonna blow up in his face?! i mean, what 'good' does he think he's doing here? even he has to know that he's setting himself - and GM - up for humiliation. it simply doesn't make any sense what so ever

It'll make the remix/youtube video where the editor makes tons of references back to his quotes all that much more entertaining.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
The 2012 GT500 would destroy the Boss at Inde. VIR might be different, but Inde (especially in the configuration they ran) is a horsepower track. You could probably turn a pretty good time at Inde in a pro street car.

Kewlv8

Established Member
The 2012 GT500 would destroy the Boss at Inde. VIR might be different, but Inde (especially in the configuration they ran) is a horsepower track. You could probably turn a pretty good time at Inde in a pro street car.

Yes, Inde is a high speed track with long straights and sweeps. Also, the fact that the track is at 4,000 feet, the N.A. Boss was at a disadvantage to a boosted car at altitude. The Boss lost fair and square on that turf, looking forward to the tests vs the '12 and '13 Shelby on better known tracks.

the-track-chart.jpg

Last edited:

PaulVincent

Established Member
"hey it's not my fault GM won't put the ZR1 spec engine in the ZL1." My question is this, "Do you really believe the ZR1 would make the Camaro the equal or superior to the 2013 GT 500?" The Camaro would still be heavier and it would still be down a bit on hp, and if worse came to worse, Ford could release the optimum tune instead of the detuned version of the GT 500. Not picking a fight, but I'd like a response.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
"hey it's not my fault GM won't put the ZR1 spec engine in the ZL1." My question is this, "Do you really believe the ZR1 would make the Camaro the equal or superior to the 2013 GT 500?" The Camaro would still be heavier and it would still be down a bit on hp, and if worse came to worse, Ford could release the optimum tune instead of the detuned version of the GT 500. Not picking a fight, but I'd like a response.

GM is stupid for not offering the LS9 in the ZL1 as well. Instead, they gave it the LSA from the CTS-V. I think my only gripe with the LSA is....

GM chose to use the smaller 1.9L TVS blower. WHY? The first owner that wants to increase boost with a smaller pulley will discover an engine staring for air above 5,500 rpm. Ford selected a larger blower to feed a smaller CI engine because they know what owners want.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I love all the excuses and crap I hear from Chevy guys/ al o.

"...option packs...we have those standard..."

"...we pushed them to add 100hp..."

"...our car is faster because our video game/computer sim says it is..."

"...the Chevy looks better so its better..."

"...the ford has skinny tires (285 is skinny? Fu ck no you fools, that's 11+"s...)"

"...but ours is only 57 loaded, the gt500 will have to be over 62k loaded!... (nevermind that you can get a true navigation with sync, glass roof, 1000 watt sound system, etc in the gt500)..."

"...you can't compare a 2012 to a 2013, wait till the 2013 zl1 comes out with updates..(the same as saying "you can't compare gran turismo 5 to forza 4, you have to wait till forza 6 and gran turismo 6 come out in 5 years)...."

But at the end of the day I don't see these options for the zl1:
-300# weight reduction package
-additional 70hp package
-a true in dash navigation with sync
-a glass roof
-non lethal blind spot/visibility package
-soft material/55k interior package (the Camaro dash/council is pretty 2008 cobalt ss (plain and plasticky) in my opinion)
-bulletproof 1050hp+ (flywheel) capable long block option (Lsa is good to 850~and is 6.2L...)
-better gas mileage option
-2.3 tvs option
-not having al o be the cars arguably wimpy spokesperson (with childish excuses) option

That all said, I wish it had these options:
-315/30/20" rears (oh wait, your ordering from a ford dealer, and ford dealers sell tires. You can just purchase a set of tires and have them on the car when you pick it up...go figure that a dealership would be able to put "aftermarket" tires on an ordered production car, has this ever happened before? Oh wait it happens all the time."
-the IRS package (2015 can't come soon enough
-the ecoboost package (fingers crossed for twin turbo tech and a 5.8...725hp with ease factory, a tune and 3.5#'s more boost for 825hp )
-the sla front suspension option (2020 maybe? Would be amazing but not any time soon sadly)

Cobra Jay

Got Boost?
Established Member
oh dude, not only do they think that the ZL1 vs boss 302 is a fair comparison, but they think it's a better comparison than the ZL1 vs '12 GT500. you know, because the ZL1 is designed strictly and purely as a road course special like the boss 302, while the GT500 isn't track capable because GM says it isn't. i'm dead serious, they really, truly, believe this horse shit:nonono:
and apparently they've all read numerous reviews where the boss 302 was WAY faster than the GT500 on a road course too - even though the only direct comparison between the 2 had the GT500 a half second ahead on a tiny 1.8 mile course:dw: i don't know where this bullshit came from about the boss 302LS being faster than the GT500 on ANY track in the world, but you gotta be a complete moron if you believe that. similar handling numbers + 110 extra HP(2011), are you serious??? but i digress...

yea man, 100% serious, they really do believe that at camaro5. i think i saw 1 guy pulling this shit over at ls1tech, but everyone called him out.
i'm coming to the conclusion that these 5th gen catfish guys really truly are worse than ricers. i mean really:dw:

:lol1: That's funny. I can believe it tho. I was banned from there because they didn't like what I had to say about the new 5.0 owning the SS Crapmaro before the 5.0 came out. And look what happened. :) Buncha Vaginas over there. They're so far out of touch with reality it's crazy. I've been in a GT500 and a Boss 302LS around the same track with a Pro Ford driver and I will tell you that on that track the 302LS was by far the better vehicle for that particular track. But yes you are correct, on a longer track with more straights, the GT500 has longer legs and will perform better. I wonder what those little bitches would say if Ford built a Boss LS with a GT500 engine, or if they put Boss LS suspension on a GT500. They'd cry foul like they always do because they wouldn't have the advantage. Buncha cry baby :loser: is all they are. 99.9% of them pee sitting down and yes they are starting to become just as bad, if not WORSE than ricers. :coolman: :beer:

jonesd

Established Member
honestly i think its funny they are touting the zl1 as a track car. Anyone that does any kind of track events know good and well to stay away from a supercharged car. I have a couple buddies that are hardcore into it, both are driving the new z06 with z07 package. Just ask anyone like that why they didnt pick the zr1 instead...

How many years has the camaro been about straight line performance?? (look at the following and the history of drag racing) The followers were almost always about drag racing, straight line, ect. Now gm comes out and brags about its track performance and suddenly all the Camaro Fanboys are now done with drag racing and onto the Nürburgring, just because GM says so? Are these guys brainwashed or what??

This isnt even a jab at Camaro guys, i seriously want to know how GM sucessfully converted all these drag racing guys into track guys, seems like brillant marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread