car is in the dealer.......

KILRSVT

Established Member
lately while cruising at 55-70 mph I can hear a whining noise from the rear axle. no matter what throttle input decel or accel it makes a rotational noise . brought the car into a dealership near my job and they told me it was a 2 day turn around. Go to check on the status today and find they contacted the hotline and waiting to recieve orders on how to proceed with repairs, so my car will be there over the weekend and till next week. have any of you have this issue before, if so what was replaced...thanks in advance

Last edited:

'99Ranger

Established Member
What gear ratio do you have? My 3.73's have been replaced 3 times, ALL the bearings in the rear including axle bearings have been replaced twice, and my Torsen diff has been replaced once by the dealer and they continue to whine. Everyone I've talked to says all 3.73's whine but every time mine have been replaced there has been excessive wear on the pinion.

NickSezz

Established Member
What gear ratio do you have? My 3.73's have been replaced 3 times, ALL the bearings in the rear including axle bearings have been replaced twice, and my Torsen diff has been replaced once by the dealer and they continue to whine. Everyone I've talked to says all 3.73's whine but every time mine have been replaced there has been excessive wear on the pinion.

May be something wrong with the casting or machining of the case. You can swap 100 sets of gears and they will all make noise if the case is off.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member

Bullshit, mine don't whine. Even when I had stock exhaust no whine from the rear just from the trans.

Excessive wear on the pinion... did they check the tolerances?

KILRSVT

Established Member
I have 3:31 it's has the brembo package. I know the issue is in the axle I just do t know what it is I hope I get the car back next week. Is there an option to get a loaner or a rental from the dealer ??

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
My tranny and rear whine like no other. My tranny sounds like a supercharger at times, some days not at all some days all the time. This has been going on since it was stock. I should have taken it in when it was stock at 4500 miles.

It now sits at 5700 and I don't want to take it in modded and hear some bs. Might take the mods off before my warranty is up and drop it off. :nonono:

'99Ranger

Established Member
May be something wrong with the casting or machining of the case. You can swap 100 sets of gears and they will all make noise if the case is off.

That's what I'm thinking. Although when the last set of gears was put in it only had a whine on decel and they said the backlash was set at .009. They contacted Ford to try and remedy it and were told by Ford to adjust it out to .012 and now it whines at a constant cruise and on a light accel.

I'm going to take it to a different dealer as soon as it clears up a little here. There's still salt all over the roads.

el jefe 302 said:
Bullshit, mine don't whine. Even when I had stock exhaust no whine from the rear just from the trans.

Excessive wear on the pinion... did they check the tolerances?

I don't know if they checked the housing for tolerances or not.

KILRSVT

Established Member
No I told the guy it had an exhuast and suspension along with a pan hard rod he said it shouldn't matter .

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
So I got a call back today ... I'm getting an entire overhaul on the rear axle . Ring and pinion along with all the bearings he said something about the case too

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Seems that some people get stuck with cars that are right at the edge of the tolerances allowed in the gear teething. Doesn't seem to be the issue here though.

Hopefully this solves your problem, OP.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
OP, now that you are down a mustang, how about taking mine for a spin for your input on my coil overs. Lol, just thought I would ask!

Users who are viewing this thread