car not getting any gas

GTBill

Established Member
I assembled an engine for my mustang GT about 8 months ago, after i blew the last one up. well, there was a timing chain tensioner that was making noise, so i changed it. After that, i could not get the valve covers to seal - i guess because it's a PITA to put them on the engine while in the car. anyhow, i finally got all that squared away, and now the only way the car will run is on starting fluid. I checked the fuel pump fuse and it's not blown. I think i can hear the pump prime when i turn the key. I took the fuel rail feed hose off a couple times, and there is fuel in there. but the car will not idle, or even run at part throttle without spraying starting fluid in the TB. i'm not sure what the issue is.

cliffs: new engine, cars been sitting for a few months, will not run w/o assistance of starting fluid. need ideas on why.

does anyone have any ideas? thanks! :beer:

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Do you have any type of handheld tuner that you can use to see if there is any fuel pressure? If you put a screwdriver on the fuel rail near an injector and put your ear up to the handle on the screwdriver you should hear the injectors clicking while someone tries to start the engine. If there is no clicking then it could be your crankshaft positioning sensor or ccrm. If your injectors are firing then you aren't getting fuel pressure, which could mean several things. Could be the FRPS, fuel pump, etc. Just narrow down the symptoms until you know exactly what it is and isn't doing and then you'll be able to find the problem.

Last edited:

GTBill

Established Member
okay, so last night i had my dad turn the key without starting the car. you can hear the pump prime. car still just cranks.

i really am tired of this car just sitting now

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
Poke the valve at the front of the passenger side fuel rail while someone is turning it over. If it shoots out then its getting fuel to the injectors. Maybe that will help you narrow it down

Users who are viewing this thread