Car Randomly Doesn't Start

vipergts281

Established Member
EDIT: Problem fixed. Info in post #15. Turns out it was a bad connection on the negative side of the battery. See post #15 for more info.

Started happening out of nowhere a few weeks ago. Thought it was battery related, although my battery is only 5 months old, tops. Bought one of those jumper box things just in case. Tried it, car wouldn't start right away after using that though too.

Maybe the connections were dirty (car is old). Cleaned them. Still happened.

The other day I thought I figured it out. The negative cable wasn't sitting correctly around the battery post. It wiggled a little bit. So I fixed it.

But yesterday it wouldn't start again. Today, wouldn't start. Seems to happen more when the car sits for a day or two. Although, that's not always the case. Had it happen after only having the car off for 5 minutes.

Today I think I figured out how to get it to start when it won't. When I turned the key, I held it in position for a few seconds longer. It fired up about 3 seconds after it would if it were acting normal.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? Ignition related?

Any help is appreciated. :beer:

Last edited:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Is it turning over real slow, not at all, or turning over normal but just won't fire up?

vipergts281

Established Member
Is it turning over real slow, not at all, or turning over normal but just won't fire up?
When it doesn't start, nothing really happens. Pretty quiet.

When it does fire up, it's pretty normal.

Could something be loose in the ignition? Maybe some type of connection...thus when it's not making contact it won't start. :shrug:

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
I'd think it would be ignition related. Can't recall the name of it, but the key cylinder(?) on the steering column could be going bad.

vipergts281

Established Member
So it could be a few things it seems? Guess the only way is to start testing things. I'll try to get a video, maybe that will help you guys to pinpoint something.

When I started it earlier, it fired up. But after a one second delay. I'm about to go out, so I'll record starting it up just in case it does it again.

And no, I haven't adjusted or updated anything on the car recently.

DHG4410

Established Member
HFBPA889 may have the answer, Clutch switch. Last weekend had a similar problem. Pushed the car out of the garage and the car fired but tried again nothing. TOPFUELFRIDAY recommended the Clutch switch and I made an adjustment to my clutch and it fixed the issue.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
I used to have this issue in another car, check to make sure all your fuses are pushed in I could never for the life of me figure out why I was stranded on the side of the road and it just turn over then 30 min later fire up with no issues. One of the pins weren't tight holding the fuse in tightly. Just a thought

vipergts281

Established Member
Car won't start today. Had trouble last night too. Last night when I went to put the key in, it didn't go in all of the way. Took it out and put it in again, went in fine.

Today I noticed this ticking noise. Sounds like a blinker almost. See video...and yes, the noise started after I hit my brake pedal. Weird.

Also, accessories don't work with the key in the Accessory position. So it seems like an ignition problem. I guess I should buy a new ignition switch and start there??

[youtube_browser]crEkmfS31aQ[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Found the problem. Which I thought I fixed before.

There was an issue on the negative connection of the battery terminal. I was getting 12.3 volts when I tested the battery terminals. But, when I checked the voltage right past the clamps, it dropped down to 5 or so. Cleaned off the clamps and all is well. Probably going to buy new clamps and put them on just to be sure. The problem seems to be where the wire connects to the clamp, the crimped part.

Users who are viewing this thread