Car registration question (Texas)

Black2010

Established Member
What are my options with getting my car inspected and registration renewed after it's been down for a long period of time?

Back story - I've owned the car since 1998 and it's been insured and registered ever since. Car is still insured as well even though it's not being driven. Last registration expired Aug of 2017. Last year I had a couple major items break in the car for which I've just been taking my time fixing them (it's not my DD). I'm close to finishing the repairs. Where I live you must have the car inspected before renewing your registration though. I talked to an officer that I ran into while he was working an event I was at and asked how I could get the car inspected legally since it's expired so long. He said my only option would be to tow the car to an inspection center and then have it towed home until I got my renewal sticker. Other than that I'm just risking getting a ticket if pulled over. Not real interested in paying that much money to get my, now drivable, car towed back and forth, not to mention the risk of damage with a tow. Seems like this can't be that uncommon and their should be something you can do for temporary approval to get the car to a shop.

Is this office correct or do I have other options?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you don't have to call anyone. just go get it inspected, then go to the DMV, make sure you have proof of insurance when you go. DMV will ask you if it has been driven on the road since the last time it was registered. the answer will be no, it has been down with mechanical issues and you are just now getting it back on the road. Then they will ask if you have gotten any tickets for no registration or anything else .. and the answer again will be no. then they will register the car and you will get your sticker.

I went through this myself with the same car a couple of times. and I got re-registered with zero issues. I just registered my 04 which had expired in July of last year. While you do run the risk of being stopped, I think if you explained that you were on your way to the inspection station and then to register it he will likely let you go. otherwise it is a fix it ticket. I drove my car to the inspection station and then to the DMV which is also a police substation. no issues there

Edited to add @Black2010 I just saw you were in round rock, that is where I got all my stuff done since I live there too. I take mine to Mack Haik Ford for the inspection and use the DMV on Old Settlers Rd

What are my options with getting my car inspected and registration renewed after it's been down for a long period of time?

Back story - I've owned the car since 1998 and it's been insured and registered ever since. Car is still insured as well even though it's not being driven. Last registration expired Aug of 2017. Last year I had a couple major items break in the car for which I've just been taking my time fixing them (it's not my DD). I'm close to finishing the repairs. Where I live you must have the car inspected before renewing your registration though. I talked to an officer that I ran into while he was working an event I was at and asked how I could get the car inspected legally since it's expired so long. He said my only option would be to tow the car to an inspection center and then have it towed home until I got my renewal sticker. Other than that I'm just risking getting a ticket if pulled over. Not real interested in paying that much money to get my, now drivable, car towed back and forth, not to mention the risk of damage with a tow. Seems like this can't be that uncommon and their should be something you can do for temporary approval to get the car to a shop.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I concur with @RDJ. Just drive it to the inspection place. If by some bad luck you are stopped and ticketed then just show the court you had the vehicle inspected within 10 days and they should dismiss.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yep drive it. Granted my place is 2 miles from my house but I recently realized I had forgotten to put the new sticker on my windshield enroute for inspection. Drove for a year with the year old sticker up and the new one in the glovebox

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

OMB

Established Member

In TX, you can register and PAY online.
There is a box you can select that says car is Out of State. If you select that it will let you complete the registration and you will get your sticker in the mail. You will get a confirmation email immediately. It also tells you that you must get the car inspected within three days of getting on TX roads.

Best of both worlds...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Except you have to commit perjury to do it this way and under the circumstances it is a stupid thing to do. This is a minor problem that is easily fixed the right way and no perjury involved

In TX, you can register and PAY online.
There is a box you can select that says car is Out of State. If you select that it will let you complete the registration and you will get your sticker in the mail. You will get a confirmation email immediately. It also tells you that you must get the car inspected within three days of getting on TX roads.

Best of both worlds...

OMB

Established Member
Except you have to commit perjury to do it this way and under the circumstances it is a stupid thing to do. This is a minor problem that is easily fixed the right way and no perjury involved
No worse than driving it illegally without registration.

So I drive it to inspection station without a current inspection.
If you get stopped, it says you have 3 days to get it inspected.
Just like if the car was out of State when you register it.

It is a personal choice IMO.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
no it's not the same, one will get you a fix it ticket at the very worst, no fines just prove it's been fixed. the other carries a jail term and fines if they decide to push it. swearing that what you have written on a government form is perjury. that is not the same as a fix it ticket. Highly recommend you stick to VA stuff which you may or may not know and leave Texas stuff to Texans

No worse than driving it illegally without registration.

So I drive it to inspection station without a current inspection.
If you get stopped, it says you have 3 days to get it inspected.
Just like if the car was out of State when you register it.

It is a personal choice IMO.

Black2010

Established Member
appreciate the feedback. RDJ, I live by old setters park so use the place down the road from the Tax Assessors build to get my cars inspected then drive over there to get the registration. I think what I'll do is call the local PD before I leave to create a note of what I'm doing and then just drive it there.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I wouldn't. but your car your decision and no hate from me on it. if you get a butthead you might be putting a mark on your back LOL!. I live over in Ryans Crossing so we are close

appreciate the feedback. RDJ, I live by old setters park so use the place down the road from the Tax Assessors build to get my cars inspected then drive over there to get the registration. I think what I'll do is call the local PD before I leave to create a note of what I'm doing and then just drive it there.

SVTvsTheWorld

Established Member
Get a one time trip temp permit online thru dmv. This gives u a permit to go get ur inspection, then u have everything u need to get registered. Just went thru this myself. If u get pulled over u have the temp permit u printed from online.

Users who are viewing this thread