Car Transporter prices on the rise? Need to ship my 93

Nukem1040

Established Member
I had my car transported enclosed from Co to northern NY just over a year ago and paid under $1,200. Ironically, I came down on orders to get stationed in CO so now the car has to go back in that direction. I did UShip for enclosed and all bids are high $1,900. Open trailer is around $1,200. I'm shipping my 93 Cobra, Teal/Black and would like enclosed.

I can tow behind my F150. Uhaul costs $600 to rent. If I buy a open trailer, they're ranging from $2,500-$4,000.

You guys have any other ideas other than telling me to pay the current price?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
$1,900 isn't bad, especially during the winter months.

Nukem1040

Established Member
13Cobra, I forgot to mention I don't need it shipped until May and I made that clear on the Uship website. I'm still getting these high prices for May shipment.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Well consider it this way. You pay 1900 for a transporter to take it across in possibly an open/multi car trailer. They "Care" but really don't, and are often subbed out jobs to smaller transporters. I've seen a few peoples cars get "lost".

Or you can spend the extra grand and tow it yourself in a closed, locked, single trailer and guarantee it's safety. And when you get home, rather than be out that 2-3k, you just sell the trailer and recover most of your money back.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Nukem1040

Established Member
Jenkins, I'm sending you a PM. Thanks for your input guys. I was figuring it was going to lean that way.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Buy a nice used enclosed trailer and do it yourself. Sell it once you're done if you want, but why not keep it? You have needed a trailer twice already for big moves. Or drive the Cobra cross-country in May. That would be a fun trip. 2k miles isn't going to hurt the value of the car unless you're sitting at 2 miles now.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This is how I ended up with a 24' enclosed trailer. I Did a dity move. You could do a partial and depends on how much weigh you have.

Nothing beats owning your own enclosed trailer. I've taken mine across country before, and I'd kind of like to do it again. I even used it as a rustic camper/fancy tent.

Nukem1040

Established Member
You guys have me leaning more towards buying an enclosed. My 2018 3.5 ecoboost can handle it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nukem1040

Established Member
I thought this but that’s $600 gone to Uhaul. Then sleep with one eye open that the car isn’t getting stolen while at hotel. Maybe that’s far-fetched but it will still be snow and salt when I leave at the end of March. My wife is staying till end of May for my daughter to finish H.S.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I took a nap in mine at a truck stop when I was moving

I've spent quite a few nights in mine at truck stops while on major trips. All those idling diesels put me to sleep. I actually put a bed in mine if I know I'm going to spend a few nights in it. I have a pretty sweet queen-size cot/air mattress combo that makes an awesome bed.

nxhappy

Established Member
yes prices are only going to get worse. Electronic log books now in force. No more driving straight through. Many trucks will now have 2 man teams. Also diesel prices rising across the board.

Nukem1040

Established Member
yes prices are only going to get worse. Electronic log books now in force. No more driving straight through. Many trucks will now have 2 man teams. Also diesel prices rising across the board.

Now all that makes sense! I forgot about the Electronic log books.
When I had my car delivered here from CO, the guy made it here in just over a day and delivered it on Christmas night.

nxhappy

Established Member
Now all that makes sense! I forgot about the Electronic log books.
When I had my car delivered here from CO, the guy made it here in just over a day and delivered it on Christmas night.

I'm in the industry. It's ****ing crazy. They are shutting down trucks at the scales and now there is no way around it. Ground will no longer move quickly. These guys have to shut down and sleep, or run a 2 man team. Prices are basically 30-50% more.

Nukem1040

Established Member
Yup, looking for a enclosed trailer now. I’m not paying this much and to just throw the money away. That’s crazy

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Drive car to Colorado. Buy one way ticket back to NY....or
Drive all your shit to Colorado. Wait until May, get a one way ticket back to NY and then drive 93 to CO. Way cheaper than any of your other options and you could actually make a vacation out of it.

Nukem1040

Established Member
Malern, All good. I'm about to buy a 24'er tomorrow and tow my 93 Cobra in my 2018 F150 3.5 Ecoboost. Put the Ford commercial to the test lol. Then I plan to maybe keep the trailer, buy more 93s, maybe a Shelby, and then sell Trailer.Seems like a win at this point.
Still can't believe how high the transporter prices are now.

Users who are viewing this thread