Car won't start

ConeCrusher281

Established Member
After installing autometer water temp gauge, I left the stock sending unit unplugged from the harness and left it disconnected. I started the engine and it kicked on the fan and idled about 1200 rpm and the check engine light came on. I then made a t-connector to run both sending units at the same time. Now it won't start. Any ideas?

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
There are two temperature senders in our cars, one for the PCM and one for the gauge. It sounds like you unplugged the wrong one. The one you want to unplug is the one with the red wire with a white stripe. That is the gauge sender wire. The other one is for the PCM.

Don't gang both gauges off the same sensor. If you are not leaving the stock sensor in the car, don't hook up the stock gauge.

ConeCrusher281

Established Member
I unplugged the sending unit above the alternator. I am not running both sending units off the same wire. I used a t connector so that I could run both the autometer sending unit as well as the stock sending unit at the same time. P.S- its an electric short sweep gauge

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
You mean a T water fitting, I guess. Usually a "connector" is electric.

You don't say what year car you have. 96-98 Cobras have a gauge sender on one side of the crossover pipe and a PCM sender on the other side. I have seen cars with them swapped side-to-side, so you have to use wire colors to know which is which. 99+ cars only have one temp sender and it goes to the PCM.

If you have a 96-98 car, the gauge sender wire is red/white. You need to make sure the PCM sensor is still plugged in.

I'd find another location for the Autometer sender. There are tons of threads on where to put it.

Users who are viewing this thread