Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

swiss-cobra

Established Member
Just installed a new driveshaft: "PTS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft"... No more vibrations at all and the best thing is: The carbon fiber driveshaft took out 95% of that hideous play you fell every time you shift or you gently press on the gas, let off and press again ==> no more terrible Mustang "CLUNK", no more special shifting needed, you shift into gear, accelerate and feel the instantaneous power transfer :rockon:

swiss-cobra

Established Member
Since the stock driveshaft is aluminum, the weight is almost the same... The carbon driveshaft is around 12 lbs and the stock is around 15 lbs ==> not a big difference

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The carbon fiber driveshaft is much better than the aluminum one. I know because I researched these back when I had my Camaro. The composite drive shafts are definitely more expensive, but well worth the money if you can afford it. In addition to minimizing rotational power losses, carbon fiber's unique vibration dampening characteristics also help improve power output. And less vibration means a smoother drivetrain.

swiss-cobra

Established Member
Too late for me :cryying: Here 2-pictures of my new driveshaft :D

driveshaftground.jpg

installed
driveshaftinstalled.jpg

Z-06_Killa

slow and untuned!!!
Established Member
CobraBob said:
The carbon fiber driveshaft is much better than the aluminum one. I know because I researched these back when I had my Camaro. The composite drive shafts are definitely more expensive, but well worth the money if you can afford it. In addition to minimizing rotational power losses, carbon fiber's unique vibration dampening characteristics also help improve power output. And less vibration means a smoother drivetrain.

everyone needs to remember that is rotating mass. even if its only a 1 pound difference it make a big difference when spinning....less rotating mass=less drag/resistance....

one other thing....if your running a Carbon Fiber DS from what i understand at our local NHRA track you do not need a DS safety loop, if/when a CF DS breaks it literally shatters into a thousand pieces thus eliminating the need for a retention device.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
You just slap that in there and it gets rid of all that 80 MPH vibration? No indexing or anything? That sounds a better approach than de-modding and pestering the dealer to replace the stock DS.

swiss-cobra

Established Member
It took me about 30min to install the driveshaft... No indexing ==> no more vibrations at all :banana:

Last edited:

Jpjr

Established Member
these threads make me laugh so hard at when i was back in college working on a solar car... we had so much carbon fiber lying around we used to make toy boats out of it. those were the days...

L3thal 324

Established Member
Jpjr said:
these threads make me laugh so hard at when i was back in college working on a solar car... we had so much carbon fiber lying around we used to make toy boats out of it. those were the days...

HAHAHA thats bad ass

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
1 bad bullitt said:
Funny how the 03-04 cobra model is 200 more dollars than the rest of them aint it.

could very well be that they're an upgraded version to handle our torque...

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
If vibration is your main concern, just have your driveshaft balanced. :shrug:

venum03

Established Member
I'm wanting to go with the c/f driveshaft as well...Our driveshafts are aluminum, correct?...Did you go with the c/f with the steel yoke?...3 1/4" or 3 3/4"?...I would like to see us get a group purchase going...Thanks, Rick

swiss-cobra

Established Member
@NHRACobra: That's true... the terrible Mustang "CLUNK" was the main reason ==> I'm a DD, so smoother shifting also a big benefit of the c/f driveshaft.

@venum03: Stock driveshafts are aluminum. My PST c/f has the steel yoke, but i'm not sure if it is 3 1/4" or 3 3/4", I guess it's a 3 3/4"...

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
If it helped alleviate the "clunk", I'd be interested in a GP if it ever got started.

Users who are viewing this thread