Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

RoyWoods

Established Member
Here is the problem; it will be very difficult to guarantee 10 buyers without knowing the price. I am sure if there is say a $100 savings 10 people may be easy to get, but if the savings is say $20-$25 it will be more difficult. I guarantee most of the people interested in a GP will want to know the cost before they commit. Point is I think they should be willing to quote us a price based on the number of buyers. In other words there is a $75 savings if we have 10 buyers, but if we get 20 there is a $100 savings.

+1

SlowSVT

Established Member
Here is the problem; it will be very difficult to guarantee 10 buyers without knowing the price. I am sure if there is say a $100 savings 10 people may be easy to get, but if the savings is say $20-$25 it will be more difficult. I guarantee most of the people interested in a GP will want to know the cost before they commit. Point is I think they should be willing to quote us a price based on the number of buyers. In other words there is a $75 savings if we have 10 buyers, but if we get 20 there is a $100 savings.

I agree

This is some thing I will buy. If the discount is paltry I will hold off until I'm ready to install it. There are a few other items I need before this but if the discount is worth it I’m "in"

RoyWoods

Established Member
I agree

This is some thing I will buy. If the discount is paltry I will hold off until I'm ready to install it. There are a few other items I need before this but if the discount is worth it I’m "in"

Well said. That was exactly what I had wanted to say, but couldn't quite get it out, and had to settle for a "+1." :lol1:

eaglesnick

Established Member
Another question or concern I have is with it's durability. I know the "race" shaft is good to like 2,000 hp or some crazy number like that, but what about a rock or a bolt that kicks up under the car will it shatter if it gets hit? The track is generally an environment free of debris, but the street is full of little surprises. I would hate to be crusing down the highway and hit something and have my $800 driveshaft turn to dust. At least our stock aluminum one will just dent.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Another question or concern I have is with it's durability. I know the "race" shaft is good to like 2,000 hp or some crazy number like that, but what about a rock or a bolt that kicks up under the car will it shatter if it gets hit? The track is generally an environment free of debris, but the street is full of little surprises. I would hate to be crusing down the highway and hit something and have my $800 driveshaft turn to dust. At least our stock aluminum one will just dent.

If you dent the stock aluminum tube chances are it's toast especially on a high powered application. A dent will cause a stress riser which is a break in the continuity where the load (torque) is being applied. I don't think debris hitting the DS is something you have to worry about too much unless your off roading. The shaft is buried up into the chassis pretty well.

The thing I would be concerned with is fatigue. Over time will the CF start to degrade making it prone the failure? The three most important things I like about this is the shock loads it will take up on the drive train, eliminating DS vibe and the safety factor should the shaft break. The problem with the shock load thing is that it suggest twisting flex in the shaft and that is where we get into that fatigue thing. Since it strong enough to handle 900 hp and I don't do drag launches I don't think this will be an issue.

Good issues to bring up though.

Last edited:

svtnos1011

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD
Established Member
if they could give a ballpark price on a GP i would be in as long as the thing could last a long time of abuse.

Nino S

Established Member
I am very interested in a group buy if the numbers look reasonable. Had anyone contacted need4speed to see if they are willing to knock them down if we can get 10/15/20 people to commit? I will be more comfortable giving everyone a 100% yes when I see how much it is going to cost me.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I am very interested in a group buy if the numbers look reasonable. Had anyone contacted need4speed to see if they are willing to knock them down if we can get 10/15/20 people to commit? I will be more comfortable giving everyone a 100% yes when I see how much it is going to cost me.

+1

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Very nice driveshaft!

By rev-matching you can get it to clunk a lot less if any at all.

Guess I need to drive one of the clunkier Cobras to see what all the fuss is about.

Taz

Established Member
You can't go wrong with a carbon fiber shaft from PST. I'm on my second one, but the first was still perfect after more than 3 years. I sold that one for half what it cost me new, and the only reason for getting rid of it was that I needed a shorter shaft after I swapped out my OEM 5-speed for a FRPP 6-speed.

Pay attention to what you're getting, though. Just like most everything else, you get what you pay for. Last time I checked, the less expensive "street" shafts were constructed with 3-1/4" diameter tubes; the pricier "race" shafts use 3-3/4" tubes.

mth180

Established Member
I'm in for a group buy if it happens. Would the group buy be for the stronger "race" DS though? Because that is the one I am interested in.

RoyWoods

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread