Carroll Shelby Spills the Beans on 2007 Cobra

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
While listening to a local California Radio show on 790AM, a very interesting event happened. The shows personality, a well known local individual by the name of Leon Kaplan AKA the "Motorman", had Carroll Shelby on today...When the questioning got to the issue of a new Cobra Mustang, Carroll Shelby confirmed that the car will be the "Shelby Cobra", it will have a "5.4 liter, 4-valve per cylinder motor". I believe he stated the Horsepower to be in the 500 plus range. " He also said the vehicle will be priced reasonably for what is being produced......He mentioned it will be at the NY Show on the 25th of March....I almost had a heart attack on the Freeway, while listening to the program, but I think the cloak of mystery is being pulled off the new Cobra, very quickly now.... :beer: :beer: :beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
While listening to a local California Radio show on 790AM, a very interesting event happened. The shows personality, a well known local individual by the name of Leon Kaplan AKA the "Motorman", had Carroll Shelby on today...When the questioning got to the issue of a new Cobra Mustang, Carroll Shelby confirmed that the car will be the "Shelby Cobra", it will have a "5.4 liter, 4-valve per cylinder motor". I believe he stated the Horsepower to be in the 500 plus range. " He also said the vehicle will be priced reasonably for what is being produced......He mentioned it will be at the NY Show on the 25th of March....I almost had a heart attack on the Freeway, while listening to the program, but I think the cloak of mystery is being pulled off the new Cobra, very quickly now.... :beer: :beer: :beer:

Shelby Cobra = the 427 Roadsters of the late 60s and the new V-10 concept two seater roadster.

Shelby MUSTANGS are what they sound like, GT350 and GT500 editions of the Mustang.

So are they referring to the 2 seater coupe concept or is that now dead in favor of a (former SVT) Shelby Mustang Cobra???

Last edited:

Sith

Banned
Still doesn't answer anything really.

From what's been gathered there's going to be 2 Cobras :

Shelby Cobra
Mustang SVT Cobra

Unfortunetly both being called Cobra is confusing the piss out of everyone.

rezcobra

Established Member
The Shelby Mustang was reported in the current issue of Motor Trend coming as a blown 5.4 with around 550 hp. The mag also said there is still in the works an all aluminum V10 that is capable of 600+ hp N/A which could debut in the Shelby two seater roadster called the GTR.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
To recap for all those just joining us, the rampant rumor was a 5.4 blown with a twin screw whipple with 470 HP or greater. I still think that the 550 HP figure is a little optimistic, but that would rock my world for sure. I just hope I can afford it...

Last edited:

rezcobra

Established Member
crispy23c said:
To recap for all those just joining us, the rampant rumor was a 5.4 blown with a twin screw whipple with 470 HP or greater. I still think that the 550 HP figure is a little optimistic, but that would rock my world for sure. I just hope I can afford it...

I think to clear up the confusion the talk is about 2 cars, (1) the Ford SVT Cobra and (2) the Shelby Mustang (Cobra?). Rumor is that the SVT will have around 470 HP with a 3V 5.4 and twin screw, whereas the Shelby Mustang will have basically the Ford GT type engine with 550 HP. Of coarse the Shelby Stang will be a limited edition, I bet!! Then the Shelby GR-1 concept roadster is still on the drawing boards and if Saleen keeps screwing up on the Ford GT it might never get built.

Fourcam330

Established Member
rezcobra said:
The Shelby Mustang was reported in the current issue of Motor Trend coming as a blown 5.4 with around 550 hp. The mag also said there is still in the works an all aluminum V10 that is capable of 600+ hp N/A which could debut in the Shelby two seater roadster called the GTR.

The article stated that a 600hp V8 (allegedly a next gen. "Hurricane" motor, which has evidently been debunked) was in the works. The plan is now to use the "Daisy" V10 (3.66"x3.75").

crazyhorse06

Established Member
03CobraBro said:
But you'll get an Eaton Twin Screw, probably very similar to what the Ford GT has.
That wouldn't surprise me. I say whipple because the whipple site says "get the same supercharger used on Ford GT, '07 Cobra and '08 Lightning.

joeclams9

Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
That wouldn't surprise me. I say whipple because the whipple site says "get the same supercharger used on Ford GT, '07 Cobra and '08 Lightning.

is the whipple used on the gt though?...also, look what happened to the lightning for now (put on hold).

Users who are viewing this thread