Cat back exhaust

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
I finally got around to removing the restrictors in my side pipes. LOVE IT !!! Problem is, seems like a stereo with the fader turned all the way forward.

My thought, make some new plates with maybe a 1" hole in them then replace the mufflers with a little more sound to them. I'd like to do a catback instead of axle back.

I will say I did a SLP loudmouth on an '03 Cobra and in my old man opinion sounded like doo doo. I hate cars that are louder than they can go.

Opinions/thoughts on a catback system??

LindsayEOD

Established Member
I've been through 5 exhausts and I finally settled on the Borla S-Type axle backs. The only catback I tried was Stainless Works Retro Chambered and didnt like it at all. I would've done the Borla Catback but it would remove the side pipes. I saw on another forum that someone was making different sizes of baffles. There was a kit of 5, I think? The Roush axle backs sounded pretty good too but were too loud for what I wanted. I think I still have a video of the Roush's with baffles removed if you want. Just let me know.

svt1111

Established Member
Just slap on a set of 2011 GT500 mufflers. It sounds great with the baffles opened up and somewhat turns the "fader" toward the rear of the car.

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
Thanks for the replies and for not flaming me for a dead horse topic :beer:

BTW, I like my avatar. Sometimes I visit just to look at it :thumbsup:

brianjh20

Established Member
Just slap on a set of 2011 GT500 mufflers. It sounds great with the baffles opened up and somewhat turns the "fader" toward the rear of the car.

This is probably a dumb question... BUT how do you remove the baffles? Are they in the muffler? Im new to anything newer than a foxbody! I just bought a 2012 CO boss 302 that was traded in on a ZL1 slowmaro with 800 miles. Got a great deal!.

How easy is it to remove the baffles? Not the same as 2007 Gt500 mufflers right? My dad has a stock set of those.
Thanks for the info!

Grant808

Established Member
This is probably a dumb question... BUT how do you remove the baffles? Are they in the muffler? Im new to anything newer than a foxbody! I just bought a 2012 CO boss 302 that was traded in on a ZL1 slowmaro with 800 miles. Got a great deal!.

How easy is it to remove the baffles? Not the same as 2007 Gt500 mufflers right? My dad has a stock set of those.
Thanks for the info!

Easy. 4 15mm nuts on your side pipes and a couple anchoring them to the floorboard. I think some of the skinny guys do it without jacking or ramping the car. Nothing to do with your mufflers.

svt1111

Established Member
The 2007 GT500 mufflers will not fit a Boss.

Different hanger points and completely different muffler design.

The 2011 GT500 mufflers sound great with no drone as has been mentioned many times!

Last edited:

2012YellowBoss

Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread