* buy a vicious dog, a long chain, and a dog house
But, but, but......these thieves (many of them) are under-privileged, adversely affected by "systemic racism", just trying to eke out a meager living to put food on their family's table. Our racist society has driven them to this.
I have to wonder how many police departments are even interested in investigating these property loss crimes. They're stretched thin as it is. As police departments are being de-funded, they are not going to have the needed manpower, and the lowlife thieves know this. I know in my own town, most of the cops have to be assigned to traffic control at worksites where utilities are replacing street lights, installing traffic light cameras (?), fixing/installing sidewalks, and making a lot of repairs. The 3rd shift is under-manned.
Back in the day, companies used security guards to protect their vehicles and property. Maybe we'll see a re-birth of that. Homeowners will have to do whatever they can, like.....
* Ensure vehicles are locked
* Keep vehicles in garages whenever possible
* Install bright floodlights with motion sensors
* Install bright floodlights and keep them on all night
* Install security cameras all around the home's exterior
* Develop local homeowners groups that collectively watch over properties
Sucks that we even have to think along these lines. Morality and decency are but a skeleton today. Replaced by entitlement thinking/behavior. A wrong is a right if it benefits the offender.