Catastrophic Brake Failure On My T-Rex...

ArabianOak

Established Member
Thought I would share this video with you guys...very lucky I am not injured or dead! After watching the video I would appreciate your thoughts on if you think I was correct on what I think may have happened.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
You seem to have major issues with a lot of vehicles you own.... while you drive them...

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
not sure what that means? what other vehicles?

how do vehicles break if you don't drive them? Has yours broken while it was parked?

Didnt your vette have some crazy issue too?

and I meant in the sense of .. it wasn’t due to someone else on the road

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m surprised you didn’t hear any clunking prior to the bolt snapping when applying the brakes. I have had cars come in with a horrible clunk when breaking and found one of the bolts missing and the caliper would bang against the wheel during brake application. You said that the pedal went to the floor, does it only have one master cylinder? Glad you weren’t hurt and didn’t hurt anyone else, that could have been bad.

ArabianOak

Established Member
I’m surprised you didn’t hear any clunking prior to the bolt snapping when applying the brakes. I have had cars come in with a horrible clunk when breaking and found one of the bolts missing and the caliper would bang against the wheel during brake application. You said that the pedal went to the floor, does it only have one master cylinder? Glad you weren’t hurt and didn’t hurt anyone else, that could have been bad.

I didnt hear anything...the thing is so loud though so even if it was clunking i prob would not have heard it...

It does only have one master...wilwood brakes, 2 calipers in front, one for the rear.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your theory surely makes strong sense, especially with a photo showing the bolt out about a half inch. VERY fortunate you weren't hurt. And no damage to your T-Rex. I can only imagine how unnerving that must have been.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I didnt hear anything...the thing is so loud though so even if it was clunking i prob would not have heard it...

It does only have one master...wilwood brakes, 2 calipers in front, one for the rear.
Is there a way to put dual master cylinders in it? One for the front brakes and one for the rear? This is why the auto industry has a split system because back in the day if you had a line blow out you had no brakes. With a split system if you lose the a line or caliper in your case you will have the safety of having another brake to stop with.

Spritle

Anti-EV
Established Member
To somewhat quote Ruxin from The League; “if you’re gonna buy a cheap POS kit-car’ish…thing, there is a reasonable expectation you might die when driving it.”

blk02edge

Established Member
Hand built anything requires lot's of post delivery inspection regardless of where they are from or who made them.

Especially brakes... Lesson learned.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
To somewhat quote Ruxin from The League; “if you’re gonna buy a cheap POS kit-car’ish…thing, there is a reasonable expectation you might die when driving it.”

My neighbor has one of the Slingshot things and its a joke on wheels. He parks that thing in front of his house like its a Ferrari or something. Ends up getting towed all the time cause the battery keeps going dead from a draw.

He tried to sign up for a track event with it but they denied his entry for lack of safety requirements. I wonder how they would do. 200hp and a smidge lighter than an Exocet.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Hand built anything requires lot's of post delivery inspection regardless of where they are from or who made them.

Especially brakes... Lesson learned.

100 percent on this one...it's pretty frustrating since it is made of all premium parts. They need to PDI these things MUCH better...from what I am hearing they do not PDI them at all...no idea how that is possible or even legal.

Users who are viewing this thread