Catted Kooks

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm looking for some feedback from those of you running Kooks headers and either their catted x or h pipe. I'm running Borla Tourings right now and ran an off-road h for a short while and it's way too loud for me. Just what will the Kooks and cats do for the noise level. I'm really not concerned with WOT. I'm primarily looking for feedback on cruise speeds, if there are drone issues and an indication of part throttle noise level.

I did try to search, but I didn't see much useful information on this specific setup.

455HO71

Established Member
I was asking a similar question a couple weeks ago. I have the chance to get a set of brand new long tubes and off road pipe but there's no way I'm running that combo with the Roush axleback I have on there now (the Roush is L-O-U-D as it is). I don't know if your Borla's are as loud as the Roush but if they are, I was told to run a catted x-pipe and possibly a short resonator before the axle.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Running Kooks 1 3/4" with catted X pipe..................to stock mufflers. The cats are high flow & won't pass N.J. inspection, my 02 sensors are turned off so they don't throw codes.
Didn't want the extra " look @ me " loud all the time. If I need more noise, just put the right foot down..
6April2012JDMtrip004.jpg

Last edited:

GT 500

Established Member
I'm running Kooks 1 3/4" long tube with the Gesi green catted X-pipe
Gesi is the newest catted X-pipe from kooks that doesn't throw any codes into the system for the Shelby Gt 500's
Also running the Borla stinger catback system
Loud at initial start up, them warms up and quites down
When you nail it to the floor that's when you hear the roar
Not a major drone at hiway speeds, just a nice rumble along the way

Cheers !

GT 500

Established Member
Here's a link to my kooks pics installhttp://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/peterfriashotmailcom/?action=view&current=image-1.jpg

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
I have the Kooks headers and the catted x pipe.I am very happy with them.Also have magnaflow magnapack straight thru mufflers.As long as you are light on the throttle,it is fairly quiet.Has a kind of raspy,F1 car sound when reving.On start up it is loud for a second.It is a little loud at WOT but it has a nice deep sound.I would reccommend it in my opinion.

2010 Red&white

Established Member
I had the Kooks with Hi-Po Cats , Dyna-max resonators and Magnaflow XL mufflers when they did a video of my dyno a few years ago . For your reference check You Tube " 2010 Shelby GT500 16 psi Whipple 2.9L" I think the sound was best when the cats were on.

PROCHARGEDGT

just pull the trigger
Established Member
My Father has kooks LT's and catted X pipe with corsa axle back. His car at cruising speed sounds pretty damn near stock but at WOT....WOW!! all hell breaks loose and sounds pure evil. I like his set up alot.

mustang loco

Established Member
I'm running Kooks with the "green cats" x-pipe through the stock mufflers,I think it sounds good with no drone...sounds great when I step on it too imo!

CTL500

Established Member
Kooks Green Revolution cats are hi flow and 49 state legal. They work extremely well and will help with the drone too. I highly recommend these!

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
One regret I have with my Kooks is not ordering the set with factory cut-outs. The cost is minimal and saves hassle if you want to add them in the future.

Cuda426

Established Member
I'm running Kooks headers with their high flow cats. I added the Kooks racing mufflers in front of the rear axle. I also installed an H pipe. She now has a very muscular sound and I can still hear the blower whine at wide open throttle. A lot of trial an error here. I started a thread on my quest, on the GT500 forum.

Chasing the right exhaust sound - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum

Almost two years to get the sound I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread