CFTP owners, have a few questions about your buying process

MMalik85

Established Member
Hello all, I'm about to buy a twister orange cftp with vinyl stripes for 10k over sticker tomorrow. Not my first color choice is the best I can find w/o ridiculous mark ups of 15k plus.

When buying the car did the finance manager offer you any tire protection? i figured with carbon wheels it would be worth it if available.

Where do you do your tire swaps? Should I take it to discount tire or bell tire? I live in Michigan.

What APR did you get? i'm getting 2.9%

Thanks in advance.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@13COBRA (Nick) can probably answer your question as far as the tire protection. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't available with a the CFTP package. See what he says.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hello all, I'm about to buy a twister orange cftp with vinyl stripes for 10k over sticker tomorrow. Not my first color choice is the best I can find w/o ridiculous mark ups of 15k plus.

When buying the car did the finance manager offer you any tire protection? i figured with carbon wheels it would be worth it if available.

Where do you do your tire swaps? Should I take it to discount tire or bell tire? I live in Michigan.

What APR did you get? i'm getting 2.9%

Thanks in advance.

Tire and Wheel protection is available on them. It only covers road hazard though. So things between the white lines of the road. Curbs not included, medians are included.

Not a terrible idea.

Interest rates are as low as 1.79% right now. So, depending on your credit, and equity position, you may be getting a good deal, or they're making a little money on it.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Most tire shops won't touch the carbon fiber wheels and that includes most Ford dealers. When I had my 350R, Porsche and another local high end dealership were the only ones willing to touch my wheels due to the liability and cost.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Most tire shops won't touch the carbon fiber wheels and that includes most Ford dealers. When I had my 350R, Porsche and another local high end dealership were the only ones willing to touch my wheels due to the liability and cost.

this is correct.
You may want to ask the dealership if you need a new tire installed at any point, do they provide that service.

MMalik85

Established Member
Thanks all, officially bought today! They will be installing the splitter, wickers and oil separator for me.

They said they would do a gentle wash that won’t be abrasive so going with that, or should I skip this.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Thanks all, officially bought today! They will be installing the splitter, wickers and oil separator for me.

They said they would do a gentle wash that won’t be abrasive so going with that, or should I skip this.
I didn't let them touch mine other than PDI stuff. I pulled all the plastic off and washed it myself.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I

what is wrong with them washing? Sure it may not be perfect way to wash but it’s just one time.
One bad wash is all it takes to mar your paint. It's your car and you can do what you want, but If I'm paying $100+k for a car I'm either washing it myself, or taking it straight to a professional detailer for PPF and ceramic.

q6543

Established Member
I'm trying to think, I'm in Michigan and my brother has a 350R which is also CF wheels.

He was talking to a few guys at M1... there is like 1 or 2 places that can do tires.

I'll text him tomorrow and try to find out.

Personally... I would pull the oem carbon wheels and tires right off the car and put a set of LMR knockoffs on for 2 or 3k.

I know it's counter intuitive... but it is the smartest decision.
Especially if you're gonna see public roads.

MMalik85

Established Member
I'm trying to think, I'm in Michigan and my brother has a 350R which is also CF wheels.

He was talking to a few guys at M1... there is like 1 or 2 places that can do tires.

I'll text him tomorrow and try to find out.

Personally... I would pull the oem carbon wheels and tires right off the car and put a set of LMR knockoffs on for 2 or 3k.

I know it's counter intuitive... but it is the smartest decision.
Especially if you're gonna see public roads.
It’s gonna be my daily almost as long as it’s warm and no rain…kind of worried about Michigan roads. You can’t really change the carbon tires I hear, suspension tuning is set up with their lighter weight in mind.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s gonna be my daily almost as long as it’s warm and no rain…kind of worried about Michigan roads. You can’t really change the carbon tires I hear, suspension tuning is set up with their lighter weight in mind.
While I’m a fan of the CF wheels and you’re correct the CFTP suspension is tuned for them, you can get custom wheels at almost the same weight if you’re serious.
Congrats on getting a car!
-J

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
While I’m a fan of the CF wheels and you’re correct the CFTP suspension is tuned for them, you can get custom wheels at almost the same weight if you’re serious.
Congrats on getting a car!
-J

Interested in hearing more about this. Are they reasonably priced?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Compared to the CF rims anything seems reasonable. Signature wheels are what I see most guys go w/, they run about $5-$6k a set and will be slightly heavier than the CF'S

I think CF wheels are worth about about a 2X premium max over a forged piece. If you're already paying 5.5-6K 10K doesn't seem too bad...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You can’t really change the carbon tires I hear, suspension tuning is set up with their lighter weight in mind.

There were some journalists that claimed this was the case back in 2015 and with the CF wheels on the GT350R. The reality is, you can absolutely change the wheels if you so choose and a quality wheel that might just be heavier isn't going to degrade the ride or ruin your parade at the track. There is plenty of room in the vehicle dynamics control module calibration for a variance in wheel weight.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I remember on another thread a member commented he spoke to a Ford Engineer at an event about the CFHP magnaride setup. The Engineer said the CFHP had the same programming as a normal GT500 since the tires were the same. It seemed the different programming was due to the stickier tires on the CFTP, not the lighter rims.

Tom

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I remember on another thread a member commented he spoke to a Ford Engineer at an event about the CFHP magnaride setup. The Engineer said the CFHP had the same programming as a normal GT500 since the tires were the same. It seemed the different programming was due to the stickier tires on the CFTP, not the lighter rims.

Tom
Very good point Tom.
While a nice benefit, the CF wheels aren’t as important as the tires for road course.
Now same tires, I’d wonder if the CF wheels make enough difference at the limit that electric suspension tuning is noticeable?
I wanted to order a CFHP car but was hoping/expecting it’d have same CFTP tuning until Tob found that info.
Makes sense once you realize the tire difference, I was assuming it had the Cup2. Wish it did.
-J

efnfast

Established Member
I don't get the obsession w/ carbon fiber tires and rotors.

It seems the very first thing people do is remove them and replace w/ steel rotors and repro rims because of fear of damage while driving.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I don't get the obsession w/ carbon fiber tires and rotors.

It seems the very first thing people do is remove them and replace w/ steel rotors and repro rims because of fear of damage while driving.

They have carbon fiber tires now?

Users who are viewing this thread