Changing gear sets on a F450- Can it be done?

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Ok so here's the deal. I will be in the market for a SD in the very near future (Was thinking of a 250 at first) but I can get a KILLER, and I mean KILLER deal on a 2010 F450. Believe it or not, I can get it WAY cheaper than a 2011 F250, which really appeals to me since I want the 6.4 instead of the first year 6.7 ;-) Only downside that I can see is that I won't be getting the 6 speed. No biggie.

But since I will NEVER use this brute to it's capacity, I was wondering if anyone knows if I can change out the 4.30's to something a little more highway (and gas) friendly. Perhaps 3.73's would do. I'm pretty sure the 2010's have the F350's rear pumpkin now, but I'm not sure about the front.

Does anybody out there in SVTP land know for sure if this is doable? Sid? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. :beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The 2010 F-450 has a Dana 60 front axle and a Dana 110S rear. You should be able to change the gears in both, but I suspect that the rear gears will be very expensive. I would advise against buying a 450 unless you need it though.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
The 2010 F-450 has a Dana 60 front axle and a Dana 110S rear. You should be able to change the gears in both, but I suspect that the rear gears will be very expensive. I would advise against buying a 450 unless you need it though.

Thanks Sid. Yeah, I guess I'll stick to a 250. That will be enough truck for me. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread