Changing my mind on boost. Need some knowledgeable help

DaveWertz

Established Member
Well this is my first mod motor so Im still learning these pesky things. Anyhow the car was built for boost but I am changing my mind and want to keep it N/A.

Here is a short list of internals done now
MAC long tubs, MAC X pipe into SLP loudmouth dumped behind the axle, kellog crank, forged manley h beams, .20 over with JE forged pistons, valve job, factory recondition heads with MLS head gaskets, 9 thread spark plug inserts, factory cams, imrc delete plates, ram hd clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, aluminum drive shaft, 4.10 ford MS gears. aremotive stealth 340 in tank pump, and lots and lots of suspension work.

My question is, with these mods already done which route is easy, cost effective to gain the most power keeping NA. Boost is out of the question right now due to cost value.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what compression did you go with? You may be mostly pissing into the wind and would be better off saving up.

DaveWertz

Established Member
While I want to save for boost by the time that happens I might have a new 5.0 HAHA. But on the subject of these cams. How much power is really expected on cam swaps? I see allot of people sometimes loose power when putting in different cams. But aside from that, what cams have seen the most power gains with stock motor? I see allot of people giving there first born child for 03/04 mach 1 cams. I guess due to cost and notable power gains. Cams are more in my budget now, have a child on the way so house renovations take first priority. But I do have some cash to play with, right now anyhow. With the mods I have listed which is basically LT,x pipe and slp's, what cams would benefit me the most. Im not looking for bragging rights on the streets, just a fun weekend show cruiser with respectable reliable power.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Get custom cams from Todd Warren aka NA SVT. I think they're like $1375. Gains would probably be around 40rwhp with a set from him. You can toss in another $1000-$1500 and have a complete lightly used blower setup and gain 150rwhp on only around 8psi. Makes no sense to me why you would do cams over tossing in another grand for a used Vortech blower. You have a forged motor so turn it up to 12+psi and you're gaining 200+rwhp. On 93 octane your 340lph pump should support 500rwhp. Throw a bap on it with wiring upgrade to gain another 100-150rwhp of room.

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
If you want to stay NA, either build a 351 and stroke it out to a 408, or swap a Coyote. (or stoker LS if you don't mind LS engines).

Both will make more power and be more cost effective then messing with a N/A 4.6 mod motor.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Get custom cams from Todd Warren aka NA SVT. I think they're like $1375. Gains would probably be around 40rwhp with a set from him. You can toss in another $1000-$1500 and have a complete lightly used blower setup and gain 150rwhp on only around 8psi. Makes no sense to me why you would do cams over tossing in another grand for a used Vortech blower. You have a forged motor so turn it up to 12+psi and you're gaining 200+rwhp. On 93 octane your 340lph pump should support 500rwhp. Throw a bap on it with wiring upgrade to gain another 100-150rwhp of room.
I was looking for a used blower but people want new prices. That's the shit part of it.

DaveWertz

Established Member
So looking at C heads vs B heads (yeah I'm stirring this up). There are piles of ford salvage yards and fords only in my area. So say I can get a set of C heads for 300 (just throwing a number out) and set of cams and a good intake. I could probably make some descent power. Correct. Or is the head swap not worth the hassle? I have no clue how much power I have now but a bit more is always better. So if it is worth the hassle. What make model heads from Lincoln or ford and I looking for? I.E Lincoln continental 99-01? What about the intake and cams? Seems I could find these fairly cheap. Maybe.....

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you want to stay NA, either build a 351 and stroke it out to a 408, or swap a Coyote. (or stoker LS if you don't mind LS engines).

Both will make more power and be more cost effective then messing with a N/A 4.6 mod motor.
All options except swaping to a chevy motor sound good.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I was looking for a used blower but people want new prices. That's the shit part of it.

Where are you looking? There are quite a few of them for sale usually on the Facebook mustang classifieds pages. Forums have gone to shit over the last few years and there isn't much activity. Typical pricing is $2500-$3000 for a complete intercooled Vortech V1/V3 S Si or crappy Procharger P1.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
So looking at C heads vs B heads (yeah I'm stirring this up). There are piles of ford salvage yards and fords only in my area. So say I can get a set of C heads for 300 (just throwing a number out) and set of cams and a good intake. I could probably make some descent power. Correct. Or is the head swap not worth the hassle? I have no clue how much power I have now but a bit more is always better. So if it is worth the hassle. What make model heads from Lincoln or ford and I looking for? I.E Lincoln continental 99-01? What about the intake and cams? Seems I could find these fairly cheap. Maybe.....

Not worth it. C heads don't make that much more power over B. If you had 10:1 compression, c heads, full bolt ons, and custom NA cams you'd see 360-370rwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread