Charge Wire

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Just curious if anyone has left the grey charge wire in place when swapping alternators? I watched J2 Fabs video for their big 3 install and they removed the charge wire. I was thinking it would be another path. I'm installing a 270amp alternator btw.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Removed mine, the only thing you lose I believe is a slowblow inline "fuse" wire if Im not mistaken.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Removed mine, the only thing you lose I believe is a slowblow inline "fuse" wire if Im not mistaken.
Now that you mention I think he mentioned something about needing to bypass that fusible link in the video.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Now that you mention I think he mentioned something about needing to bypass that fusible link in the video.

Was beating my head against a wall trying to remember what that was called.

never remove always add

While I normally agree it starts to get crowded wiring wise if you leave everything.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
That wire for the battery light comes off the plug, cant remember the color but I had to chase it once. The double grey wire with the fusible link goes to the positive terminal block.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm running a 200 amp 3g. As others have said battery light is in the plug.
I was only going off what the video said. There's a green wire that needs to have a new eyelet crimped on to connect to the positive battery terminal. He said it was the battery sense wire or something.

I think I'm going to try and leave the charge wire in place and keep an eye on it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thanks, I'll have to watch and see if I did my right.
I think right is relative. I ended up not using the battery terminal he sent because it looked hokey IMO. The plan is to get a set.of those nice terminals you see in most audio set ups.

In the vid he has the power wire going from the alternator to the distribution block. I have mine going to the battery. I hooked the ground up from the alternator to one of the grounds on the core support. Once my ECU comes back I can crank it over and see how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread