Chasing dream cars

Rocket254

Established Member
Your story sounds alot like me. While not a Gen 5, the Gen 2 B/W GTS was my dream. I grew up super poor(like trailer house poor). I am not one of the SVTP ballers, There are tons on here that do way better than I do, but I am happy with how I have done. The Viper was the car that "got my into cars". I bought mine after my dad died. My dad worked, and just saved. My dad died in a accident in 2013. Before he died he always talked about getting a 1967 Camaro RS/SS. this was his goal/dream to have. He never did anything else, he worked, and worked, and after he died my step mother got all the money from the house, and insurance, ex-communicated my brother, my sister, and I, moved and had a big ass house built in AZ. After that I kinda realized that I could go at any day. And I believe that changed me. Soon after that I started looking for mine. Luckily I have a awesome wife who supports me. Some of the comments on here about get one now before you have kids I don't agree with. I got mine when my daughter was 4. My wife was 100% behind it, and I was making way less than I do now.

Here are some things:

Never meet your hero's: Again I have a Gen 2 not a Gen 5, but I actually thought the same thing before as I never drove a Viper before buying one. I bought mine in 2014, and every time I drive it it makes me happy. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I always get people who say things like " Oh I drove my dad's friends Viper, and they handle like crap". I have had mine on AutoX, and open track. These people are full of it. Are there better handling cars? I am sure there are. It also depends on your definition on what good handling is. On track mine kinda likes to be steered with the rear in a way at times. Not a bad way, but you can use it to rotate the car mid corner sometimes. I won't get to into it cause it's a gen 2 vs a Gen 5. What I am trying to say is the "Never meet your hero's" has never applied to me in my ownership.

I also own a 2016 GT350. Now I will say it is a GREAT car, but the Viper just has something that the 350 will never have. One of those things I can't really quantify. It's just way more special.

The "You Made It" goal is exactly how I felt when I got mine. The first week + after I got it I just kept going out into the garage, and looking/sitting in it for hours (and I do mean hours) My wife laughed at me quite a bit. I now have a 2016 GT350, 2012 Mustang GT Track Car, a couple race gokarts, and have had a few sportbikes. If everything went to shit, and I had to for some reason, or another liquidate stuff. The Viper would stay. It would be the only one.

In the end it is your decision/money. I feel fortunate that I got to make my dream happen. A lot of people will never get that chance, and we are only alive once. Good luck man.

Definitely similar stories. I'm sure you have some interesting childhood memories to go along with it. For instance, I remember how quickly I could close the blinds and hide if I saw a tax man pulling in the driveway. That kind of stuff has an effect and I often wonder if it is why I have such a tendency to hoard money. Sorry to hear about your dad...

I'll add that I'm pretty open on anything from a Gen 2 GTS all the way up to a Gen 5. I've had probably a dozen hours or so of seat time in a Gen 2 and maybe 30 minutes in a Gen 3 Coupe and that is about it. I loved every second I was in either car and, like you said, I just haven't been able to replicate that feeling in any other car I've been able to drive. In fact, a Gen 2/3/4 might be a more realistic option since the thought of being responsible for a 100K car is enough to make me light headed. If I had an out of warranty bearing failure on a Gen 5, I'd be cooked.

Thanks for the story and the feedback. The whole post kind of hit home for me.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
I always get people who say things like " Oh I drove my dad's friends Viper, and they handle like crap". I have had mine on AutoX, and open track. These people are full of it.

I had a guy come up to me after I parked my Viper, telling me how dangerous it is to drive.
I continue telling him that no, it behaves very well and has tons of grip. But ofcourse you don't go drifting in it because when those 335's hook you go flying.
But he kept trying to convince me how dangerous it is.

So I asked him what does he drive.
2007 GT500.

Talk about a death trap in comparison!
My Viper is easy to drive, my fathers Terminator terrifies me. I am not skilled enough to floor that one in any gear less than 3rd...

MG0h3

Established Member
I had a guy come up to me after I parked my Viper, telling me how dangerous it is to drive.
I continue telling him that no, it behaves very well and has tons of grip. But ofcourse you don't go drifting in it because when those 335's hook you go flying.

2007 GT500.

My Viper is easy to drive, my fathers Terminator terrifies me. I am not skilled enough to floor that one in any gear less than 3rd...

Lmao what kind of a pussy tells any other dude that their (insert car/bike) is dangerous.

I feel bad for his wife/Gf.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Lmao what kind of a pussy tells any other dude that their (insert car/bike) is dangerous.

Bikes are ****ing dangerous. And stupid fast. And they’re allll cheaters because they weigh 20 pounds and make 200hp.

My wife appreciates your sympathy.

blk02edge

Established Member

2007 GT500.

Its more so the snap oversteer, generally R comp tires in cold weather and the fun fact that most vipers are driven by people that rarely push them hard, **** around one day and find out. Im sorry but any realistic power level of mustang is easier to control at the limits than a gen 1/2/3/4 Viper.

I'm sure as hell not going up to people to say Vipers are dangerous though.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member

Apperently that dude.
Kind of weird.

Its more so the snap oversteer, generally R comp tires in cold weather and the fun fact that most vipers are driven by people that rarely push them hard, **** around one day and find out. Im sorry but any realistic power level of mustang is easier to control at the limits than a gen 1/2/3/4 Viper.

I'm sure as hell not going up to people to say Vipers are dangerous though.

It's worse if you throw it out and then get out of the throttle and the tires hook.
Only luck can save you at that point.

Imo the Gen2 behaves very well. The only "oh shit" moments are when you lift off in a slide, but that's the same on all high-grip cars.
Stay in it and it's gentle and nice to you.
Snap oversteer doesn't occur that much in my opinion.

Either way, I bought my dream car at age 24 and it is my '98 Dodge Viper GTS.
Owning your dream car is amazing. But one is never satisfied ofcourse, because now I want more.

blk02edge

Established Member
Apperently that dude.
Kind of weird.

It's worse if you throw it out and then get out of the throttle and the tires hook.
Only luck can save you at that point.

Imo the Gen2 behaves very well. The only "oh shit" moments are when you lift off in a slide, but that's the same on all high-grip cars.
Stay in it and it's gentle and nice to you.
Snap oversteer doesn't occur that much in my opinion.

Either way, I bought my dream car at age 24 and it is my '98 Dodge Viper GTS.
Owning your dream car is amazing. But one is never satisfied ofcourse, because now I want more.
Yea, I was 22 when I bought my gen 2 :D. Long gone from my ownership but still in the family.

MFE

Established Member
Did it.

Attachments

• 7E8B74AB-E7F8-440A-BBBE-5ADE0AB04BC6.jpeg
    7E8B74AB-E7F8-440A-BBBE-5ADE0AB04BC6.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 145

smitty2919

Established Member
I somewhat went though this on a much smaller scale. My once "never attainable" car was a Corvette. Here is am now 34 (married no kids and not having kids) owning a C5 Z06. Again a C5Z is much less money than you are looking at for a Viper but the mindset is similar.

I would drool over them thinking how cool and good life would be owning one. Yes it's fun, yes you get the "right attention" and my wife is 110% behind owning it with me...we actually autocross it together.

This was 2 years ago I got it. Today, the grandeur somewhat fell off. I still REALLY like the car don't get me wrong. It's a great cruiser/road trip car/daily when it's non winter months/autocross toy. It fits very well with our lifestyle. And as of last years refinance on the house it is paid off.

Similar to you OP, my wife and I are on the same page for finances and have a debt free game plan within 2 years. We work for the things we have and have made good decisions along the way. She has a 08 lexus IS250 (160K mi), I have a C5Z(70K mi) and we also have a 03 Silverado (205kmi) and all are paid off. Next step will be a new truck (estimated $30k-$50k range) since she just picked up a 2 horse gooseneck horse trailer.

I look at how far we have come financially and think "we just spent so much time and had so much restraint to SAVE and pay down debt, only to jack it back up again on a new truck". It's an internal debate I have all the time. Maybe it's nature of the beast?

I'd be hesitant to go Viper for $60/70/80K given that it's strictly a fun toy. You two are just starting out together and not knowing where life will take you...kids for example? Having them? I say that because you already brought up a C6Z for EASILY half the Viper price to still let you tinker and have fun. No it's not your dream car, but ask yourself "what does owning a Viper REALLY mean to me?" Is it a physical item to SHOW your pride and justify your hard work? Is it a "thing to own" to show off to people you don't know?

I love cars, I love racing them, I like working on them, but in the end of the day I've learned "cash is king"...well meaning HAVING money vs getting loans etc. Having money on hand makes life a lot easier and LESS STRESS.

SO, I digress. Just decide what the Viper(or any car purchase) really means to you and if this is something you will own for 5/10 years? A car like a Viper could be a "investment" if it makes you money a couple of years later. A C6Z, not so much.

Goodluck!

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Law of diminishing returns.

Is a $105k used Viper V really $90k more enjoyable then a high mileage C5Z with cam, headers and exhaust?

Or is it just a milestone trophy of success and achievement?

Yes, the Gen V is way better and more enjoyable than a plain jain C5Z.

Source: Owned a 2013 Viper and currently own a 2014 Viper TA

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Unheathy obsession today will be for nice international vacations tomorrow.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

Green99

Established Member
Enjoy what you can while you are alive enough to enjoy it. You will not live forever.

If you have the means, then you should do it. You can sell it after a couple years if you tire of it sitting in your garage.

Lastly, the desire, the research, the longing for a dream is often more fun then that dream realized. Don't be surprised if it's not everything you thought it would be... But go for it and find out!

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

This!

May of 19 I was riding high. Wife, 2 kids, and a 6 figure job. Had a 1000whp Turbo Boss 302 that I loved.

A month later diagnosed with multiple myeloma. Incurable blood cancer. Had to have a stem cell transplant and knew I wouldn't drive the car for quite some time. Sold it.

Year and half later I'm back to work, took a pay cut but I'm looking for another car as I type this.

If you have the money, buy what you want and ENJOY it

Users who are viewing this thread