Check out this thread

03DOHC

Established Member
oops! How do you spin a bearing on a completely stock car with over-rev protection?:shrug: Anyone?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The other thread said the car had 300 miles on it with a worn out clutch and half of the rear tires tread gone. I guess that's how..

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
The other thread said the car had 300 miles on it with a worn out clutch and half of the rear tires tread gone. I guess that's how..
How does doing burnouts spin a bearing? I was the burnout king in high school and my youth. Went to the strip every saturday. Street raced all the time on engines I tore down and put back together. Without over-rev protection. Never had a bearing problem.:shrug:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I could see driving it like you stole it - if you did, but the way I read it, he bought the car. Or, maybe he bought it and never intended to actually make the payments, who knows, but things like this make it rougher for all of us when it comes to warranty work.

The guy who is providing the material has proven himself quite reliable in the Lightning/SVT circles so I believe what he posts.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
I could see driving it like you stole it - if you did, but the way I read it, he bought the car. Or, maybe he bought it and never intended to actually make the payments, who knows, but things like this make it rougher for all of us when it comes to warranty work.

The guy who is providing the material has proven himself quite reliable in the Lightning/SVT circles so I believe what he posts.
I'm not questioning it happened, as I know a guy that spun a bearing on his 2003 Cobra. But his wasn't stock, and I know what caused his.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
I'm not questioning it happened, as I know a guy that spun a bearing on his 2003 Cobra. But his wasn't stock, and I know what caused his.

So what caused his?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member

Sorry, didn't think you doubted the info, just thought I'd throw in my feelings about the author since I think we have not heard all of the story. I'm sure the owner will be launching a counter-attack against Ford's position very soon.

As for your thoughts that you were the the burn-out king in high school, well I have to tell you back when I was in high school I owned a really cool 59 Chevy Biscayne and it would spin donuts like none ever seen here in the central calif. area...............and when I was in high school, the "new model" was the 67 Mustang. Of course, I had hair then too...................:)

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
interesting anecdote from that thread...

"will say this working at the plant that makes the cobra engine. We had one engine this year with very low mileage that blew up. The funny thing was the person who blew it up forgot that he/ she changed the upper and lower pulley's back that they had no wear on them. Further, the idler pulleys had visible signs of wear. " --- Suavy

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
Sorry, didn't think you doubted the info, just thought I'd throw in my feelings about the author since I think we have not heard all of the story. I'm sure the owner will be launching a counter-attack against Ford's position very soon.

As for your thoughts that you were the the burn-out king in high school, well I have to tell you back when I was in high school I owned a really cool 59 Chevy Biscayne and it would spin donuts like none ever seen here in the central calif. area...............and when I was in high school, the "new model" was the 67 Mustang. Of course, I had hair then too...................:)
hahaha! Those were the days! Now I'm worried about getting tickets and losing my license.:-D

larryc7777

Established Member
It is possible to overrev an engine with a rev limiter. For instance, if you're on a full bonzai run and you accidently shift from 3rd to 2nd when you meant to shift into 4th, you WILL overrev the engine. The computer will shutoff fuel & kill the spark but the transmission is in a gear that forces the engine to go way past redline. Big ouchie.:cryying:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by larryc7777
It is possible to overrev an engine with a rev limiter. For instance, if you're on a full bonzai run and you accidently shift from 3rd to 2nd when you meant to shift into 4th, you WILL overrev the engine. The computer will shutoff fuel & kill the spark but the transmission is in a gear that forces the engine to go way past redline. Big ouchie.:cryying:
That would suck.:uh oh: Guess I'm wrong then.:-D

/reminds self not to downshift when he should upshift;-)

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by larryc7777

Oohh, don't remind me......I think the one saving grace is (if your lucky) the rear wheels drag, deminishing the wear/tear on the power train.........or at least that's what I tell myself, and at my age I can lie to myself pretty easily.:idea:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
So what caused his?
Lean tune on the chip and hitting the 155mph speed limiter many many many many times in a row=:cryying:

i8u

Established Member
Lean tune on the chip and hitting the 155mph speed limiter many many many many times in a row=:cryying:

What chip was it?:read:

electricstorm

Established Member
HEY 03' DOHC -
didn't you wreck your car awhile back?
those pics, BTW, are all over the net -
Your car is on wrecked exotics -
I have the fullsize pics tho -
Just curious b/c your blue cobra looks remarkably like it, especially the fence in the background of your sig.
Anyways, I hate it when your car gets ****ed and then they're asses -
My lightning was barely used -
No mods.
They tried to mark it down to the price for a medium condition truck -
I'm a car broker, this shit dosen't fly with me -
I marched in, ripped up the check, and threatened legal action -
They gave me what I paid for it.
Anyways, I'd hate to be that guy.

Users who are viewing this thread