Checking tire temps

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
I monitor tire temps when I finish each session. Example:If a tire has temps starting with inside 158 156 154 this is telling me I am not getting the outside of the tire down enough. I'll drop a pound of air to get that tire to roll under the wheel in order to get the outside of the tire to do more work. If I had for example starting with the inside 150 155 170 the outside of the tire is overworked and I would add a pound of air. I know that alignment settings is the real fix because the particular tire you run has a pressure it likes. Once at the track I will Play with pressures to fine tune the temps. I like to see a temp spread like 155 160 165. I have become more efficient in my air adjustments over time seeing how the temps move after different air additions or drops. Guys please share your knowledge! Thanks in advance for what you can share. Peace, Skeet.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I'm going to try this the next time I'm at the track.

I usually have a infrared thermometer to monitor rotor and differential temps.

However, couldn't some tires get hotter than others depending on the configuration of the track. For example, if you had a track with more left hand turns, your right tires might get hotter. :shrug:

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
NyteByte said:

However, couldn't some tires get hotter than others depending on the configuration of the track. For example, if you had a track with more left hand turns, your right tires might get hotter. :shrug:
This is true but you should still be looking for the same spread in temps regardless of how hot each tire is working on the track.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
NyteByte said:

Someone let me know if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that infrared thermometers do not work very well for taking tire temps.

Exit Speed

Alpha Omega Racing
Established Member
BlackBolt9 said:
Someone let me know if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that infrared thermometers do not work very well for taking tire temps.
Pyrometer is ideal for tire temps, however if you use a infrared make sure you keep your distance you hold meter consistent. If you measure from different distances this will throw off readings, thus throwing off anything you do in terms of adjustments of pressure. Also make sure you measure temps on the same spot of each of the three segments which will give more consistent results.

Users who are viewing this thread