Choosing a CAI

Immortal LuD

Established Member
Hey guys.

I currently have a Mac CAI with my strut tower brace installed, and want to ditch the CAI ASAP, but want to keep the brace on if possible.

I'm looking at all kinds of different intakes, JLT RAI and CAI, C&L, BBK, etc...

I know I can buy JLT's right from the website, but neither of them work with the tower brace, and I'm hearing horror stories about installation and rubbing the hood.

I'm having trouble finding the C&L, which is what I had on my Mach 1 and prefer.

I look on eBay daily, and just can't find anything. What should I do? :??:

BTW: '96 Mystic if you didn't know...

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
K&N sells and MAF adapter with a cone filter and heat shield...you could always use that with the stock tube. What are these horror stories on installations of the JLT?

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
K&N sells and MAF adapter with a cone filter and heat shield...you could always use that with the stock tube. What are these horror stories on installations of the JLT?

i think he is referring to after the jlt rai s installed it rubs against the heat shield (think its called that) on the hood causing the heat shield and part of the jlt to show cosmetic damage

Immortal LuD

Established Member
57-2523-2.jpg

This the one? Man, they are fetching some high $$$'s for these.

I guess I should have said that I heard other people say that it was horrible to install... Don't know the actual stories themselves. :lol1:

I went back a few months and read some threads on BBK and C&L on how they actually put warmer air into the intake, and how it's probably better to put the money into something else on the car...

I haven't seen anybody else on here running a Mac CAI.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I have the JLT CAI (the one that sits right in front of the pass tire) and I can say that it was a pita putting it on.

I removed the wheel liner and tire to be able to have enough room to install it. I also had to move the smog pump forward to be able to fit the filter. It looks a lot cleaner in the engine bay since it moves the mass air to the inner fender and I actually felt a difference from the stock air intake.

Its a lot more work but I think it was definitely worth it IMO

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
i have this one and it was easy to install but as i said before it rubs against my heat shield

if you look at the piece after the throttle body (which is painted black), towards the left of it you will see the rub marks (they also dont come clean no mater what i do)

CobraEngine6.jpg

Immortal LuD

Established Member
I was looking at getting the JLT RAI that you have, but the rubbing issue is just plain lame, and the fact that I have to remove my brace just to fit it on is just crazy... UGH! Doubt it's worth the extra hp if any.

Anybody else have any recommendations?

Thanks for the pic(s)!

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I was looking at getting the JLT RAI that you have, but the rubbing issue is just plain lame, and the fact that I have to remove my brace just to fit it on is just crazy... UGH! Doubt it's worth the extra hp if any.

Anybody else have any recommendations?

Thanks for the pic(s)!

If you're worried about the car feeling more loose without the STB then I say remove it and drive the car around without it. I didn't notice any difference in ride or anything. I'm sure that if I autocrossed my car then I'd feel a difference I'm sure...

Users who are viewing this thread