classic rock station(s) playing 90s music

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
My local classic rock station WZLX now plays soundgarden, alice in chains, nirvana, and pearl jam. Those are the only 90s bands Ive heard on there so far but I wouldnt be surprised to start hearing other 90s bands as more time passes. What do you think of that? I think its at least 5-10 years too soon, I think when those songs are 25 years old would be more appropriate. When I put ZLX on I dont put it on to hear soundgarden. Classic rock to me is led zepplelin, pink floyd, CCR, lynyrd skynyrd, tom petty, etc...

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
I haven't listened to ZLX in a while. I flipped it on the other day and heard it as well. PJ and soundgarden are faily old bands. 20-25 years old. They may still be making new music but I think hearing their older stuff on a classic rock station fits.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Our local classic rock stations will play GN'R and similar bands that were big in the late 80's but I don't remember them playing 90's bands yet.

Sad day: When they first started playing songs that came out when I was in high school. I was like, noooooooooooo

03 deadpool

Established Member
I have had that conversation with guys i work with, im in my fortys and feel really old. Green day and foo fighters make the playlist on our local classic rock channel.

01GTB

Established Member
When compared to the crap that mostly comes out now, those bands from the 90's are true classics.

Haha, that's what those "old" guys said about their 60s and 70s rock 25 years ago :lol:

As far 90s rock being called classic rock...it is. Two decades just doesn't seem that long ago when you get to our age.

Furrytractor

Established Member
Haha, that's what those "old" guys said about their 60s and 70s rock 25 years ago :lol:

As far 90s rock being called classic rock...it is. Two decades just doesn't seem that long ago when you get to our age.

I'm 27 :shrug:

Call me old school, but the true talent pool isn't what it used to be anymore. Too many bands that follow fads instead of putting out stuff that is genuine to them

NinjaBum

Established Member
You do realize terms like "oldies" and "classic" change with time right?

Just like how TV Land plays King of Queens half the day now instead of Hogans Heroes, Sanford and Son, and Petticoat Junction.

mnewxcv

Established Member
it is kind of weird to think I was born in 1990 and music from the 90s is now "classic". scary actually!

Planter

Banned
if yesterday's rock is becoming today's classic rock, and classic rock is becoming oldies...what are the oldies of yesterday becoming?

01GTB

Established Member
dude, im so sorry you have to go through that. :rolling: but :rockon: keep the 8-track spinning

Don't worry. You'll experience it soon enough :thumbsup:

if yesterday's rock is becoming today's classic rock, and classic rock is becoming oldies...what are the oldies of yesterday becoming?

Great Grampa's music.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Orlando's classic station went under, and the local rock station picked up playing those songs. The few times I've been to their FB page, I saw a person or two complaining about hearing Pink Floyd every day. Hahahaha, ****ing kids these day!

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
I listened to classic rock when I was, say, 16 years old (1989), and nearly all of it was pre-1980's rock, everything from the Beatles to Rush.

It did hit me kind of hard that I was getting older when I heard Soundgarden on our local station a few months back...those 20+ years went by QUICKLY!!

Now, let's talk about my local modern HARD rock station. The other day they were playing a Tool song, and right after that they played Imagine Dragons. It should've been my civic duty to call them and complain. :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread