Classy general is classy!

Common

Established Member
I must say, he is a bigger man than me because I would check the bitch so hard, she would know her place in society for the rest of her ignorant life.

4-star general, 5-star grace - CNN.com

Graciousness can pay priceless dividends.
And it doesn't cost a thing.
You may have heard the story about what happened between White House adviser Valerie Jarrett and Four-star Army Gen. Peter Chiarelli at a recent Washington dinner.
As reported by the website Daily Caller, Jarrett, a longtime Chicago friend of President Obama, was seated at the dinner when a general -- later identified as Chiarelli, the No. 2-ranking general in the U.S. Army hierarchy, who was also a guest at the gathering -- walked behind her. Chiarelli was in full dress uniform.
Jarrett, apparently only seeing Chiarelli's striped uniform pants, thought that he was a waiter. She asked him to get her a glass of wine.
She was said to be mortified as soon as she realized her mistake, and who wouldn't be? But the instructive part of this tale is what Chiarelli did next.
Rather than take offense, or try to make Jarrett feel small for her blunder, the general, in good humor, went and poured her a glass of wine. It was evident that he wanted to defuse the awkward moment, and to let Jarrett know that she should not feel embarrassed.
As Chiarelli wrote in an e-mail to CNN Pentagon Correspondent Barbara Starr:
"It was an honest mistake that ANYONE could have made. She was sitting, I was standing and walking behind her and all she saw were the two stripes on my pants which were almost identical to the waiters' pants -- REALLY. She apologized and will come to the house for dinner if a date can be worked out in March."

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I would have sent the glass of wine back. "I said RED!"

Common

Established Member
Yes, I guess HE has...class. Innocent mistake met with grace and humor.

Do people not look at waiters faces when they order these days?....is one of the most basic means of communication with one another dead?

He outclassed her in every way possible. I bet she felt embarrassed.

CPRsm

I can see that being an honest mistake. no big deal. Funny he went along with it. NOW, this link, I feel like you do. Except this was out right bullshit, and she should be burned at the stake for it. Her position is elected by promises and a popularity contest. HIS title was earned. She should call him sir, and feel lucky she can be in a chair rather than on her knees when talking to him.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0CprVYsG0k"]YouTube - Senator Barbara Boxer: "Don't Call Me Ma'am" - General Michael Walsh[/nomedia]

Last edited:

CSD

Banned
Do people not look at waiters faces when they order these days?....is one of the most basic means of communication with one another dead?

Yes and yes. I see it all the time Mike, esp in the rich snobby areas like Short Hills. They think the blue collar worker doesn't deserve to be looked in the face. Complete lack of respect in my opinion.

As for this story, I would of done the same thing.

stangaholic280

Established Member
Good to see that these guys still remain gentlemen despite their status. The Carl Malone story was great...I doubt some of the younger guys in pro sports today would be so chivalrous about it.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
If you click on the link it talks about how the same thing happened to Karl Malone of the Utah Jazz being mistook for a skycap at the airport. I can't imagine seeing a guy 6'9", and 250 lbs walking around in a skycap uniform. They'd have to have one specially made for him.

Users who are viewing this thread