Cleaning under the hood

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
Looking for a little advice for cleaning my engine bay. The car is White so the paint in the engine bay is looking pretty shabby. It just needs to be cleaned up a bit. I was going to use a spray on engine cleaner and degreaser and then use my hose to rinse the engine down. Is this a good idea? What should I do or NOT do? Will I have problems with water in the coils, etc? I would appreciate any tips/tricks/warnings about getting the engine bay as clean as possible. Thanks in advance.

RichM1983

Established Member
I know people say to cover the COP's and alternator and you should be fine but I just don't trust it. I have heard to many stories of people frying something and needing to spend a bunch of money just because they didnt take the time to hand wipe the engine down.

My engine was pretty nasty and I used some strong paper towels and a cleaner to wipe everthing down I could reach or see. The engine bay is nice and clean, almost new and I didn't have to worry about frying anything. It only took an hour or so.

cyberdude47

Established Member
Get some body shop thinners and wipe down what you can for painted items and aluminum to clean it up. then wash with a good degreaser, I use oven cleaner and then some simple green. once rinsed spray liberally with a good non greasy detailer. let partially dry or use a compressor to get rid of excess water then lightly spray again with detailer then get a cloth and wipe down larger plastic items to prevent spotting and dust build up from being oily. and it should come out nice. this is how a detail shop will do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread