clear coating center console buttons

97gts

Established Member
Guys,

I'm currently working on converting the Center Console pieces on my Gallardo to Carbon. I've pretty much all panels in Carbon besides the the AC control unit and window switch panel which I've attached pics of. They both look like cheap plastic panels and no one makes them in carbon. Well there is one place that wraps the AC control unit in carbon but I checked it out in person and it looks very cheap. I'm thinking about doing an auto grade clear coat on both the AC control panel and the window switch panel to make it blend more with the shiny carbon pieces. Before I have do it, I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience clear coating plastic panels before. Anything to watch out for? Not a good idea?

let me know your thoughts...

Thanks center console.jpg

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
First I do not have any experience clearing this type of material.

Now, I would be a bit wary/concerned with how well the clear will adhere/stick/setup on those pieces; you won't be able to scuff them prior to clearing. Ask a few well known reputable shops in your area what they would use as an adhering agent--make sure it won't negatively react with your plastic pieces-and go from there.

I will say that you will be able to polish/coat/wax/protect the cleared pieces once they are done for a more 'finished' 'shiny' look.

Keep us posted, and I hope this helped you a bit...

oldmodman

Established Member
Will you be using 2K Aero paint (clear)? It would be a smart idea to buy any button from the dealer to test it on first. The 2K may melt or in some way damage the factory button.

If the appearance comes out OK you will save the lettering on the silk screened buttons for years with the clear. And you might want to get a can of both the gloss and the semi gloss and see which one you prefer.

97gts

Established Member
I dropped it off at one of the guys who fixed the carbon pieces on my car, he seems to know what he's doing. I'll post the results soon...

Users who are viewing this thread