Clunk in IRS - video

04torchred

Established Member
I mentioned in another thread how I developed a clunk while getting started from a dead stop or just clutch out and in on a flat surface, moving up my driveway, etc.

I tried to replicate it with the wheels off yesterday to grab a video. With no load its silent. So I put the park brake on and lightly held the brake pedal as well.

You can see the movement in my upper control arms. Diff bushings(aluminum from Bruce) are solid. My subframe does't appear to be moving it has the 14mm bolts.

Control arm bushings are all stock, same with cross axis.

Do you guys think my source of clunk is the control arms moving? I know with the brakes on its going to bind up some, but I imagine its doing a bit of that while trying to take off as well.

Exhaust is loud but you can hear it clunk a few times. I have video from a few other angles as well.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Just that movement alone would make me say you need control arm bushings. They could be the source of your clunk.

Marvin97

Established Member
I had the same issue with mine. I put her up on jack stands, crawled under it with a pry bar and started prying on joints until i found it. Mine was the front diff mount is shot, its getting the complete full tilt boogie treatment as we speak

04torchred

Established Member
You will like Bruce's diff bushings I like mine they hold the diff solid.

I am still on the fence as to my noise source.

Wondering if it could be my diff side gears? Stock half shaft CV joints wearing?

Users who are viewing this thread